• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ron Statement 21.03.21

Like a politician, opens his mouth and bs comes out.

I am so disappointed that the rest of the Board have stayed silent on this issue especially when I know that some of them are as passionate about the Club and have supported the Club for many years.

The board have always been silent haven't they?

Like a politician, opens his mouth and bs comes out.

I am so disappointed that the rest of the Board have stayed silent on this issue especially when I know that some of them are as passionate about the Club and have supported the Club for many years.

I've always found that strange.

I am wondering if the timing of this statement after a month of silence, and the arranging of a Zoom call this week, has anything to do with the fact there is a special meeting of the council's development control committee on the 30 March, with the agenda due to be published tomorrow.

We all know Ron does like to wait until he has some good news to share before he speaks out.

I'm not going to comment on his statement, but what is clear is that we need to be explicit about what we as a fan base actually want from him going forward.

Personally, I would want a promise of a CEO in place over the summer in order to run the club like a proper organisation, a detailed summary of how the club intends to survive in the National League (any rubbish about 'I don't believe we will be relegated' is surely not going to be tolerated when even the most generous statistical analysis suggests there is a 79% chance of us being relegated), and some reassurance, backed up by some evidence, that financially we are in a position to be able to compete going forward without being hamstrung by transfer embargoes, unpaid tax bills and failing to pay salaries on time.

An update on the position of physio and club secretary would also be appreciated, as would some clarity on what planning permission for the new stadium would actually mean for the football club going forward (would it make the parent company more able to sustain the club during a time of significant hardship from both the pandemic and the drop into non-league football).

Also a reassurance that we will not go part-time, although to be honest I don't see why we would.

Last edited:
Another point is that Ron tends to 'time-waste' at these things with a rambling summary of what has gone wrong and why we're in this position.

I'm not interested in that, what's done is done. I am interested in what we plan to do about it to reverse our fortunes, stop flying by the seat of our pants, become a proper football club again and get our league status back at the earliest opportunity.

Another point is that Ron tends to 'time-waste' at these things with a rambling summary of what has gone wrong and why we're in this position.

I'm not interested in that, what's done is done. I am interested in what we plan to do about it to reverse our fortunes, stop flying by the seat of our pants, become a proper football club again and get our league status back at the earliest opportunity.

?%, I get the feeling Ron likes to tread water in his statements & these meetings, seemingly saying a lot without actually saying too much.

I think he does it to try to buy time by throwing us a few scraps that will stop the peasants revolting (i.e: us) for a few more months.

He needs to realise that patience is wearing very thin with the Roots Hall faithful though..

I'm no fan of Ron's as you'll have noticed from a lot of my posts, but actually I do see a culture change at the club. What you're referring to is the results. That isn't anything to do with culture. What I see now is a team that works hard and tries its hardest, but just isn't good enough.

Previously we were a team that didn't seem to care, and was happy to blame anything and everyone, and generally feel sorry for themselves. That isn't the case anymore. Now, the team actually takes responsibility.

However, none of that has anything to do with Ron. The only thing Ron did was hire a manager. MM has done all of that. For the time being it hasn't resulted in better results (or at least not much better) but I do see a culture change at the club. I'm also sure a lot more has been done off the pitch and away from our eyes.

As for the rest of the statement...I can't be arsed anymore. Suffice it to say, if you go over previous statements and compare them, they make a telling story...

• Under Sol we were bringing in players in Jan. We didn't because Ron changed his mind
  • With MM we were waiting until Jan because there'd be loads of players in need since Covid had left a load on the shelf
  • We were told that we were working on a large squad so we could rotate when we were playing 2 matches a week for 3-4 weeks. That would see us in better shape than teams with less players. That worked well, didn't it?
The one thing he seems to have forgotten in all of this is that his poor running of the club over the last 10-odd years has left our reputation on the floor. MM simply can't get in the players he wants because no player will come here unless they have no other options. Given a similar contract, a player will always choose to go elsewhere.

The blame for the whole mess lies squarely with Ron. The only thing he's done well recently is hire a good manager. What he hasn't done is give him the tools to do the job properly.

100% this. This is why I’ve been so frustrated with the amount of MM out posters who are only looking at the results. Yes, it’s a results business. But there is so much going on below the surface it’s frightening. MM was a brave/stupid man to take this ****show of a job in the first place. I’ve never once not been behind him as it’s clear to see what’s he working against.

The thing is , Ron will not care one iota what the supporters think say or do because at the end of the day it’s his business and it’s he’s to run as he sees fit and whether anyone agrees with how he does that is irrelevant.

1 thing iv learnt this season whilst watching the games this season, which i feel is quite telling is football clubs are nothing without their fans! So many games iv watched have become boring and soulless.

Owners/managers/players come and go but the fans will still be their through the highs and lows.

I feel fans should have more of say how their club is run....... more so at are level.

My hope is people who run football clubs are aware just how important fans really are.

What I want to know from RM is, are we as a club planning for next season in the NL, should we end up there which is very likely? The club cannot put its head in the sand and pretend its not going to happen. I accept we're still fighting to stay up and the club doesn't want to sound negative by talking about the NL openly yet, but I want to know if behind the scenes budgets and income streams are being investigated and planned for, squad size, are we scouting players for both scenarios, L2 and the NL? An awful situation will become a lot worse if we wait until relegation is confirmed before we start planning for life in the NL. And lets face it we have a lot of previous when it comes to leaving things far too late..

They won’t be directors for very long if they disagree with the Chairman who is the majority shareholder though will they.
Why? He doesn't appear to have the money to buy them out?

They can't change his decisions, as you say, and probably aren't even consulted but they sure as hell could make life awkward for him if they went public on some issues.

Why? He doesn't appear to have the money to buy them out?

They can't change his decisions, as you say, and probably aren't even consulted but they sure as hell could make life awkward for him if they went public on some issues.

Ron is the majority shareholder with a controlling interest in the Club. This allows him to veto or overturn decisions made by any board members, ergo the board members are effectively just Directors on paper and would appear to have absolutely no input on how the Club is run.

Ron is the majority shareholder with a controlling interest in the Club. This allows him to veto or overturn decisions made by any board members, ergo the board members are effectively just Directors on paper and would appear to have absolutely no input on how the Club is run.
Yes and noted and agreed 100%, that however does not mean that they cannot open their mouths and make public comments - yet they collectively choose not to.

Yes and noted and agreed 100%, that however does not mean that they cannot open their mouths and make public comments - yet they collectively choose not to.

There are 4 other directors Frank Van Wezel who is 80 in September, David Marscheffel who was 80 in November, Patrick Van Der Waag who is the named Company Secretary and i guess on the payroll, and Gary Lockett, who was CEO for 6 months in 2012, and who I gather you know/knew very well.

Back