• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron...The worst gambler in town.... Success or failure?

It looks to me that the council sees the new stadium as too much competition for their ideas of new development along the seafront. With the high street in permanent decline another shopping centre at Fossetts Farm might be a step too far but they will not admit it while they have our money to throw around. If they were serious about the relocation from Roots Hall surely it would have happened by now? Move to Basildon is my preference and sod the council.

Hi Vic, how's things?

It looks to me that the council sees the new stadium as too much competition for their ideas of new development along the seafront. With the high street in permanent decline another shopping centre at Fossetts Farm might be a step too far but they will not admit it while they have our money to throw around. If they were serious about the relocation from Roots Hall surely it would have happened by now? Move to Basildon is my preference and sod the council.

We don't need a crap team in Basildon, we have Bowers to fly the football flag and play with heart and passion:Hilarious::Clap:

Perhaps the biggest gamble Ron took recently was to accept Harry Redknapp's advice that Kevin Bond was the best person to prevent Southend going down with 6 games to go. That meant the Chairman overlooked other managerial candidates that have had a good track record in the lower divisions.

Where did you get that from? I heard that Bond came first and then it was him that contacted his friend Harry for support and guidance.

Where did you get that from? I heard that Bond came first and then it was him that contacted his friend Harry for support and guidance.

Yes the whole Harry nonsense has been invented amongst fans.

Direct from one of our players. "He turned up at the training ground for an hour, had a look round but never spoke to the players"

Any team who has lost 13 league games and 3 cup games at home in a season needs as many experienced eyes as possible to have a look. After all 3 mangers and none of our 100's of Zone suggestions have worked. Even though most of them have been tried, eventually by default this season.

Don't think whoever came in would have had a chance of turning things round. Same players, same injuries and the same less than fit players trying to return from injury too soon.

New manager worries me insomuch as he prefers Turner to Moore on the bench. The reason given Turner is more physical ! May be more experienced but that's all.

Well if the option for someone else to have a go is not on,we can stick with Martin and let the Hall rot,sounds like a plan unless he addresses the stadium we have already the clocks ticking riggers.
may I add others found ways to get a new stadium or a revamp Morecambe,Mansfield,Northampton,Bristol rovers(soon) Doncaster,Shrewsbury to name a few,i'm not on this thread to argue just to say maybe just maybe there is another way. UTB

I think they used FA grants. Vic spent ours making Roots Hall all-seater.

Yes the whole Harry nonsense has been invented amongst fans.

Direct from one of our players. "He turned up at the training ground for an hour, had a look round but never spoke to the players"

Any team who has lost 13 league games and 3 cup games at home in a season needs as many experienced eyes as possible to have a look. After all 3 mangers and none of our 100's of Zone suggestions have worked. Even though most of them have been tried, eventually by default this season.

So just like he was when he was manager!

You maybe right, but I remain skeptical that RM would appoint Kevin Bond simply because he threw his hat into the ring. If he did, the Chairman is a bigger gambler than I imagined.

It may appear that Bond came first but Ron is not a football man historically... he will barely remember Bond from his brief managerial stint in the UK.

Anyone who seriously believes that Harry wasn't involved BEFORE Bond was appointed is deluded. This was ALL about Harry.

It may appear that Bond came first but Ron is not a football man historically... he will barely remember Bond from his brief managerial stint in the UK.

Anyone who seriously believes that Harry wasn't involved BEFORE Bond was appointed is deluded. This was ALL about Harry.

ermm he's owned a football club for 20 years, I'm not sure what else he needs to do to be considered a football man

Yep, and the final nail is the parking charges. Lately they have changed many spaces to a rip off 2 hour minimum, and put the price up to £2.90. So even if you only pop in for something for 20 minutes or so, you pay £2.90. People are rightly saying why bother at those parking charges, might as well shop online. The council are killing the High Street.
Agree.Expensive parking charges certainly don't encourage shoppers to high street shops

Interesting story on the news if you haven’t seen it. Westcliff Rugby club have won promotion to National League 2 which is an amazing achievement for an amateur set up.

However they were expecting to be able to play at their new ground and club house which is near the existing one.

Sadly this is unlikely to happen in time for the start of the season due to what was described as a delay by the Council!

Perhaps we put too much blame on RM for the delay in FF as the common theme here is the Council!

Please remember that during the local elections when you decide who to vote for.

Perhaps we put too much blame on RM for the delay in FF as the common theme here is the Council!

Please remember that during the local elections when you decide who to vote for.

He's not getting off the hook that easily. Planning permission was granted in 2007 and again in 2011.

This is incorrect. The Council, and others, keep requesting fresh reports on things that have already been submitted every time there is a change in personnel in the relevant department. Ecological, historical and geographical reports have all been submitted numerous times, but every time someone new comes in they want to have the evidence re-submitted.

Council elections tomorrow. Athough only a third of the seats are up for grabs, it's not totally impossible, in the present political climate, that the ruling Tories could lose control (moving to no overall control). Could this make a difference to the council's attitude to the new stadium????

He's not getting off the hook that easily. Planning permission was granted in 2007 and again in 2011.

I fully forgive those not involved in 'Financial Services' not knowing what the economic climate was like after Autumn 2008 and to be honest for several years afterwards. Lending to small Businesses dried up, unless it was fully secured or to low/medium risk Companies (which football clubs are not!)

I am voting for Labour, to teach our Tories council a lesson for their delay, it’s was their promise of our new stadium that keep them in council, not any more!

#Southend Council Out!!

Back