• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Update

Question - whatever comes out of Ron martins mouth on Thursday night will you believe it and if not surely you’re just wasting your time with him as usual?.

So after months of demanding direct face to face communication we now want to stop doing it. I’m sure Ron will be delighted. We demand things, get them, try them, and then quickly don’t want to do hem anymore?

Do the call. Do the protest.

I personally think Save Our Southend are massively in the wrong for not wanting the meeting before the protest. The protest can still go ahead with the same meaning however you should take every opportunity to sit in front of Ron and get the point across. It’s just pettiness on SOS’s front. Get on that zoom tomorrow and get your point across and stop being stubborn. You all moan at Ron for exactly the same thing. Have unity - go in to the meeting as a collective group rather than having 3 want the meeting and 1 not. It sets a terrible presence and SOS are the ones looking pathetic and childish. All the moaning that Ron doesn’t communicate and then moan when he offers a meeting grow the f*ck up.

I don’t believe for one second the support for Saturday is so flimsy that the fact Ron is doing the zoom call beforehand should be such a problem. The zoom calls are in response to previous demands for communication- they shouldn’t be cancelled so we can have protest to demand change....including things like better communication. Just like progress to the new CEO shouldn’t be delayed before we have. Protest to demand it.
All these things can be at the same time good.
Oh the support is far from flimsy, however credibility has taken a hit... and why? Because Ron has called the tune again!

If Save Our Southend aren’t willing to go to the zoom on Thursday then give up the whole agenda and let shrimpers trust and the other groups take forward things.
We organised a protest on the back of going to zoom meetings that were becoming pointless, to enforce that point we have a protest and then have a meeting after. Or would you prefer just the merry go round meeting after meeting after meeting with everybody feeling helpless? Sometimes it takes a United show of strength to get the point across. Hence why all the groups support the protest and not only support but are attending as well.

I personally think Save Our Southend are massively in the wrong for not wanting the meeting before the protest. The protest can still go ahead with the same meaning however you should take every opportunity to sit in front of Ron and get the point across. It’s just pettiness on SOS’s front. Get on that zoom tomorrow and get your point across and stop being stubborn. You all moan at Ron for exactly the same thing. Have unity - go in to the meeting as a collective group rather than having 3 want the meeting and 1 not. It sets a terrible presence and SOS are the ones looking pathetic and childish. All the moaning that Ron doesn’t communicate and then moan when he offers a meeting grow the f*ck up.
Let’s be clear, it’s not the issue of having a meeting with the club, I am all for them, just not the timing of this one which in my view undermines the credibility of said protest

Question - whatever comes out of Ron martins mouth on Thursday night will you believe it and if not surely you’re just wasting your time with him as usual?.

It depends! I've attended a few of these calls before. They are interesting, Ron can actually be very candid, but only on his terms. Anything he doesn't want to answer, he will try and avoid. But he doesn't lie for the sake of lying.

There are plenty of things that he has no reason to lie about, and that supporters would benefit from knowing about the upcoming plans for the National League. So as I suspect you already know, it's not black and white. Personally, I don't believe Ron Martin is deliberately killing the club. He's just utterly incompetent at the day-to-day running of the club. I do believe he's genuinely shocked this has all happened, and would like to resolve it but absolutely not at any cost to the great golden egg he has looming on the horizon.

So, you work within those parameters. I am sure there will be some deflection tactics and bluster going on. I also expect supporters will learn a few things, like I have done every time I have been in a room with him, virtual or otherwise in the past. I do know that if there is no communication, we will learn nothing.

We organised a protest on the back of going to zoom meetings that were becoming pointless, to enforce that point we have a protest and then have a meeting after. Or would you prefer just the merry go round meeting after meeting after meeting with everybody feeling helpless? Sometimes it takes a United show of strength to get the point across. Hence why all the groups support the protest and not only support but are attending as well.
Read the post. You can still do your protest regardless of when you meet him. Why don’t you take more control of the zoom when Ron is on it rather than letting him dictate, provide facts not assumptions and get him on the ropes rather than let him change the subject. It’s poor at times and someone should not allow him to change subject and bring him back to the question. Re the protest we know all groups are supporting and attending however that’s not the case with this zoom. Regardless if you agree or not you should go so that is also a collective effort rather than parts missing that’s the point - take every single opportunity to try to hold him to account. If you don’t go he can twist it back on you to say I offered to meet them but they declined - doesn’t look good on you but looks good on him!

Ron's statement and zoom calls are pointless! You will just end up going round in circles........ action is required from ron not words!

This is exactly what Ron wants - supporters arguing amongst themselves - he is probably reading all this and smiling.

Don't think so, the support for the protests is pretty unanimous.

Action is required - do you think a protest is going to change anything - NO - not on it’s own anyway.

Action is required - do you think a protest is going to change anything - NO - not on it’s own anyway.
The protest is all about exposure in the national press (who are attending) about how unhappy the fans are, it’s not like any of us who support this think he’s going to sell off the back of a protest! But it does raise the bar

Either way, let’s hope for a good attended protest all the groups there supporting (which has never happened before for decades) at least good has come out of this and shows that we can work together, yes the timing of this particular meeting is annoying but in total is still a United front as @Jai has said

Not knocking, but why has it got to be one or the other?

Lots of posts on this thread but still not seen anyone answer that yet. Genuinely interested in the thinking behind the decision. I get the timing is a **** take but tell him that, and tell him it won't deter us.

If we really fear one Zoom meeting could destroy the SOS collective, we don't have much of a collective.

This is exactly what Ron wants. Division among the fans when it suits his agenda. He is planning all this disruption to a T. He calls for a Zoom meeting whilst doing a BBC interview and now a statement before Saturdays protest

Surely with the,best will in the world you can see through this and his tactics. It is another smoke screen. Why not wait until the end of the season as he stated for all this outpour to the fans..
Carrot and stick again.

Last edited:
I think the point being made is do both

Not knocking, but why has it got to be one or the other?

Lots of posts on this thread but still not seen anyone answer that yet. Genuinely interested in the thinking behind the decision.

If we really fear one Zoom meeting could destroy the SOS collective, we don't have much of a collective.
I personally think if you decide to have a protest off the back of not getting anywhere when you have had many meetings, you should stick to that protest and talk after when you have made your point via strong numbers in a protest, giving the club a chance to reflect and then you open dialogue again. In essence this is one of timing not the fact the engagement is a no go because engagement is important.

Back