• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Update

And so here we have it- Ron no more statements or more Zoom calls/face to face meetings.
So please on Sat don’t protest for change on the subject of communication or lack of.
Personally I couldn't care less what ron has to say. Most of what he previously said is bull**** and lies!

What i want ron to do is make sufficient changes so the club can move forward. Ceo in place, manager in place ready for pre season, new players signed (without injury record) ready to go before the season starts. Preparation is so key in football now days.

Last few years sufc have been run like a joke club...... it can't continue, we as fans deserve better!

I'm sure when Ron secures a deal for people to take over we will get his most honest statement ever. Even in the Grimsby one they mentioned about have to keep quiet before it was finalised.

No sure why Rons words are so important to some. I'm the same with mangers, never listen to any interviews as they are meaningless.

The only thing that matters to me is actions, talk is cheap. I'll judge a team on their performance not a post match interview. Likewise i have no time for players who claim they love the club but showed no heart went it mattered

We are in the NL no words, statement or list of well answered questions will change my opinion on that. Besides I already know why.

Someone should take charge of that zoom and should ask the ones that effect us all.
The debt
Who will own the stadium.
Will it have a covenant that protects the clubs future
Funding and timescale for a main stand.
Etc

Those sort of things will be relevant even if Ron went after Saturday and they don't stop you making your point about Ron and others performance in recent seasons. Or wanting changes.

If that's a dig at Elvis it's in poor taste.

Meeting is pointless, he'll say a little bit about the new ground, gutted we got relegated, Chris Powell didn't know what to do next and he'll start planning for the new season.

He had a good meeting with Collymore, further meetings will take place but nothing decided

Some spill about we all need time to digest and reflect on the last few years and rebuild again.............
.............!!

There's nothing he can say tomorrow where he's actually "done" something positive.

Protest is a priority then maybe he can talk about peoples feelings as a bulk rather than 10 or so on a zoom call. Well done SOS

All I ask is the owner puts more effort into the football club, team manager etc , than he does with planning and stadium / house building !

Too much to ask ? Of course it is , because the football club was and always will be ...means to an end for him ! .....means the world to us

To be honest well done SOS for having the bottle to tell ron where to go. What's the point in having more meaningless drivel from Ron via zoom when the whole point is that we want change.

Don't let him control the narrative, you are right you need to draw the line at some point. Let him speak after Saturday after he's seen what it means to us as fans.

If that's a dig at Elvis it's in poor taste.

Its a dig at all players who ever do that. Some will play with an injection because they have a broken ankle. Others will wear a scrum cap over 20 odd stitches to makes sure we get to Wembley or a mask to save us from relegation.

Yet some can't be arsed to close a throw down in the last minute at Scunny. Or even try to block a shot in the most important Essex derby in our history.

JW's actions with a broken arm over cheap talk......No contest.

The club will make a full statement about its Management, Investment and Future at the end of the season. Official site - 23rd April.

That’s what winds me up. The season ends at 5pm on Saturday. So what’s the reasons for bringing this statement forward and going on a zoom and the bbc other than to attempt to disrupt the planned protests?...that is clearly the tactic here, we should all know this by now. Why not have this supporter groups zoom on Monday, once the season is done and the dust has settled?...a simple “Thanks Ron, but we’ll chat to you next week” would of sufficed.

Absolutely communications must happen, if we want change it’s necessary. But we need to start as a “United” collective controlling when and how this happens and what the narrative is. And certainly not 48hrs before a “United” show of support for change. It’s the timing of it which doesn’t sit right, with me anyway. Monday, fine. Perfect time to talk. Season done, protest done. Let’s talk change...

It’s poor timing that’s all and not the “United” front I hoped it would be is what I’m getting at. We need to start taking some sort of power back and returning it to the fans. It is our club after all.

Last edited:
So, Ron has decided a Zoom meeting will take place on his terms i.e. the timing being tomorrow, thus before Saturday’s organised protest. As others have said, this is clearly one of his moves to attempt to diffuse the depth of feeling he knows is present amongst us.

Putting myself in the shoes of those involved, as Ron is calling the meeting I would be inclined to attend so as not to appear churlish. At the start though I would set the ground rules through one spokesperson. Acknowledge he must have a purpose for calling the meeting so all in attendance are willing to listen to what he has to say. However, explain no comments will be made or questions asked on this occasion until those present have had the opportunity to discuss in private whatever information he is imparting. In other words, sit in silence and let him do all the talking. If he asks for any comments as he goes along just decline and remind him you are only there to listen. When he has finished, thank him for his time and say the united groups of the fans will be back in touch with him within the next week either in writing or to arrange a follow up meeting.

It is just an idea but in my opinion this approach would buy the time for the protest to go ahead unaffected by Ron’s blarney and it would clearly demonstrate the unity of the fans at this time.

Can I be clear, this Zoom call was scheduled to take place LAST Thursday, and was postponed (I can't remember who postponed it, whether it was the Trust or Ron - apologies for that, I haven't paid a lot of attention as I knew I would not be able to take part on either occasion) to this week.

People who are saying it's been done to try and detract from the planned protest are simply wrong.

This is part of Ron's promised interaction with supporters. He's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't.

Can I be clear, this Zoom call was scheduled to take place LAST Thursday, and was postponed (I can't remember who postponed it, whether it was the Trust or Ron - apologies for that, I haven't paid a lot of attention as I knew I would not be able to take part on either occasion) to this week.

People who are saying it's been done to try and detract from the planned protest are simply wrong.

This is part of Ron's promised interaction with supporters. He's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't.

@TrueBlue @Smiffy ?

If this is true?

He’s got you hook, line and sinker hasn’t he.???

@TrueBlue @Smiffy ?

If this is true?

Not sure why you are asking them as it would have been arranged through the Trust. It was originally due to be on 21st then postponed twice.

Excerpt from Paul Fitz' email to the other members of the supporters groups on 20th April:
I have therefore made an executive decision to postpone this week's potential call and it's currently re-arranged for Thursday 29th, whilst I feel we'll probably know tonight where our future lies, I thought it worth letting the dust settle before regrouping + I really don't have the time this week to arrange etc (it was quite a lot of work last time)

He’s got you hook, line and sinker hasn’t he.???
No, he really hasn't, but I am in favour of keeping discourse and lines of engagement open.

This is ridiculous, the different supporters groups cannot seem to keep a United front for even a week or so. The protest was agreed by all. If RM wants to say something no doubt it will come out on either his BBC interview or his club statement. I doubt very much the Zoom meeting would of bought anything extra.

Things should IMO stay as they are, get Saturday over and move forward from then.

There is only person mudding the waters here for his own agenda and people are reacting to it.

But even if a zoom with RM was cancelled last week, SOS don't have to agree to the rescheduled time that RM requests. I do think it is reasonable to say we'll talk after the protest. It's not as if SOS are saying we don't want to talk. For sure, Ron is coordinating his statements, meetings etc to dampen down protests, and he is entitled to do that--and it might even work--but putting off talks is not the error or affront some are suggesting. To be honest, it's better to meet with Ron after one of his statements, because the meeting can follow up on that.

Have the Trust or Ron invited the other supporters groups to this Zoom call?

Maybe the Trust can tell Ron of their support of the protest and report back on here anything extra said by Ron.

Not sure why you are asking them as it would have been arranged through the Trust. It was originally due to be on 21st then postponed twice.

Excerpt from Paul Fitz' email to the other members of the supporters groups on 20th April:
I have therefore made an executive decision to postpone this week's potential call and it's currently re-arranged for Thursday 29th, whilst I feel we'll probably know tonight where our future lies, I thought it worth letting the dust settle before regrouping + I really don't have the time this week to arrange etc (it was quite a lot of work last time)

No, he really hasn't, but I am in favour of keeping discourse and lines of engagement open.

Since that date The Trust agreed to join in with the other groups and back the protest. So things have altered since then, why would they now want a Zoom call before Saturday? It does not make sense to have a dialogue beforehand.. Afterwards for sure.

RM is doing everything in his power to try to derail the protest and split the supporters groups before Saturday. Please don't fall for it, remember what we have been through these past 3 years

Last edited:
I am an avid supporter of change at Southend United and the aims of SOS and the associated supporter groups, but lets be a bit careful what we're wishing for here. A long time ago I was a negotiator as part of my job and I have yet to come across a situation which was ever solved by protest alone. Screaming 'Ron Out' is all well and good for exercising anger and lungs but that alone just ends up with an entrenched position on both sides. Fact, Ron and his companies legally own Southend United and I'm not aware of any entity ready to buy him out lock, stock and barrel. So let's protest for change, let's talk when ever the offer is made and let's be ready with good ideas that can move us out of the current mess that is our football club. Talk before, talk after, it really doesn't matter provided you talk, listen and respond constructively. I truly believe that Ron wants a way out that means he doesn't lose his empire or lose face.

Back