• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

PB's future - Go or stay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Football contracts are issued on a fixed term basis, so a termination as a result of non renewal will be for a potentially fair “some other substantial reason”. If PB’s contract is terminated before it expires, then the rest of the contract period would be due as compensation unless there is a notice clause in place that allows early termination (highly unlikely).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But if it's only a short period, that's something that Ron is more likely than less likely to do?

I think someone wrote that “being a football manager can be the loneliest job in the world”

I’m guessing this is how Phil Brown must be feeling of late, under pressure from the chairman, questionable loyalty from the players, dissatisfaction from the supporters, and so on. This is clearly impacting his mental state of being, and the character traits of his bipolar symptoms are clear for all to see;

1. feeling overly happy or “high” for long periods of time (Goes through periods of overconfidence, which ultimately ends in disappointment)
  2. having a decreased need for sleep (looks knackered, clearly not getting his 8 hours)
  3. talking very fast, often with racing thoughts (As seen in recent rants in interviews, he just can’t help himself blurting out whatever comes into his head - this will ultimately be his undoing)
  4. feeling extremely restless or impulsive (never happy with the status quo, always tinkering or coveting another player, another job)
  5. becoming easily distracted (converting the England job, Bolton vacancy, then Sunderland and Hull...)
  6. having overconfidence in your abilities (clearly delusional that he is a better manager than he is)
  7. engaging in risky behavior, such as gambling with life savings, or going on big spending sprees (buying misfits or has been players, gambling on long contracts to unworthy players; Ranger and Robinson for example)

In any other job he’d be given time off, and pastoral support. Unfortunately for PB this wont happen, and reflecting on his comments after the game yesterday, after the Peterborough game and previous to that the end of his time at Southend is surely imminent.

I am concerned as to who will replace him, can’t be many queuing up for the job, but on the other hand we need change and it now seems evident that many of the players have lost faith in him and this is portrayed by the recent inept performances.

Talking of the so called ‘loss of the dressing room’ I’m absolutely disgusted by some of the players attitude; I blame them as much as PB, in some cases the players more so, as they are ultimately letting the paying fans down. Yeah, they may have the odd off day here and there, but simply not showing up as they have fallen out with the manager is not acceptable.

I think PB needs time out and counselling, if he does go I’d be disappointed it ended this way and wish him well for the future, and say thanks for that day out at Wembley!

Whatever the situation I will also expect the players to turn up on Saturday, they owe this to the fans.

Who will be in charge in the coming weeks is anyone’s guess, but you know whoever it is it will divide the posters on here.

Last edited:
Would the Council's decision on Fossetts make a difference? If Ron gets the go ahead will he see £ signs and give the manager some more money to boost the squad.

My opinion - a new manager must be familiar with the division. Would Tilly and Adam be? hat I mean is, let's say we decide we need a new number 55 (made up so as not to incriminate!). Are they going to know players that could fill that position?

That's a good point, I guess Barrett must have some contacts but Tilly's been out of the game for a while so he probably won't be an enticing manager to work under for most players.

I wonder if Paul Lambert has received any calls from Ron recently? He did a good job at Colchester some years back, and although he’s moved up the ladder in recent seasons he never really made it and has been out of work for almost 6 months. Would fit with type of manager RM would go for.

Doubt we we could afford him, unless he’s gullible enough to believe in the FF plans.

Just sayin like!

If things are not as bad as thought and Timmo is right , then 3 straight wins on the trot, embracing difficult opponents, whom we tend to perform well against, could put us in back in or close to the play offs?

I have always been "best man for the job" etc etc but the interview last night throws everything open. I've never heard a manager pretty say "I deserve the sack". Buts the pressure on Ron, that. Sack him and pay him compensation or keep him - because I can't see him resigning.

I also don't do knee jerk, but as I've said elsewhere - yesterday was a whole new Circle of Hell. Something has to change because it is obvious this team isn't playing for him or for each other. What changes, I don't know. I have heard of pretty significant splits in the changing room, but nothing first hand.

I can see a scenario where Tilson and Barrett end up in the dug out. It'd certainly be a far cheaper option than bringing in a "name" but possibly exactly what SUFC need right now.

Norfolk in chance.
More chance of me getting hold of Katie Perry.

Yes....Which is a shame for Brown because if Ron had kept his promise the benefits would have come at the beginning of his term here.The renewal of his contract is the clearest sign that RM was waiting to see if the corner could be turned. To all the anti PB posters just remember no manager wants the sack and they want sucess as much as the supporters because their jobs depend on it.
The players however are a mixed bunch some play with passion and pride for the club whilst some are journeymen just making a living with no real feeling for individual clubs.
PB will still be seen as one of the better managers in our history
Would the Council's decision on Fossetts make a difference? If Ron gets the go ahead will he see £ signs and give the manager some more money to boost the squad.

I think judging by his comments yesterday, the end is nigh for Phil and if he doesn't go this week, Saturday will be must win.

What I would say is be careful what you wish for. I am not saying for one moment that he is the perfect manager but to be fair under his stewardship we have gone up one division and are now a side which are consolidated within League one. I think if he had his way again he would have approached the summer transfer window differently but he did bring in some good players who we were excited about (Kightly, Kiernan are the ones that immediately spring to mind). As far as I am aware, our budget is pretty average for this league and we are currently sitting mid table so are we significantly under-achieving? If he does leave, he leaves with the club in a better place then when he started and there are a lot of ex Southend managers who cannot say that!

In terms of a replacement, I would say we need to go for an experienced manager at this level and ideally one level up. I certainly wouldn't be considering the Cowley brothers at this moment in time or Tilson. We have a lot of players on our books who have played at a higher level and we need a manager who they will listen to and respect.

Why are people fixated with budget against performance?

With the right manager, training and tactics, you can form a very good squad on a smaller budget.

Steve Thompson is a good example. Came in when were in a relegation battle and looked doomed. With his coaching, tactics and personality, he shot us up the table and we finished 13th. No idea what our budget was that season but with the right manager, a poor team can be transformed

Its not necessarily a fixation but just a metric to judge a manager on. In general, the teams with the largest budgets are the most successful in any one particular league and vice versa. Of course there are always exceptions to the rules (Leicester two seasons ago) but the point I was making is that if Phil had the largest budget in the league and we were in 12th place then we would clearly be underachieving. As it is, I am not convinced that there is much evidence that he is...

Its not necessarily a fixation but just a metric to judge a manager on. In general, the teams with the largest budgets are the most successful in any one particular league and vice versa. Of course there are always exceptions to the rules (Leicester two seasons ago) but the point I was making is that if Phil had the largest budget in the league and we were in 12th place then we would clearly be underachieving. As it is, I am not convinced that there is much evidence that he is...

I didn't necessarily mean you, that's have been a fair few comments on it over the weeks. A manager that motivates well with the bed a big budget but will recognise the players he feels he can motivate and will sign them, whether they be top end of his budget or not

Agree and this is one of the reasons I've always supported PB.

We don't have one of the highest budgets, we hardly pay anything in the transfer market (and there are many clubs in League One that have).

As for the type of players PB has brought in, we are Southend and I can guarantee most of our signings will be players on their way down, or unproven youngsters, regardless of who is manager.

The only thing I can see changing the recruitment position, is the new stadium.

If things are not as bad as thought and Timmo is right , then 3 straight wins on the trot, embracing difficult opponents, whom we tend to perform well against, could put us in back in or close to the play offs?
I can’t be bothered to do the Mathss of all the teams involved who play each other , but not only is three straight wins highly unlikely to put us in the playoffs, it’s quite possible that it’s mathematically impossible ( unless other games are postponed, in which case we won’t be there for long). Six wins on the bounce is highly unlikely to put us in the top six let alone three!

In fairness RM is not known as a chairman that sacks his managers quickly and would suspect if he was to he would have somebody already to replace like he did with PS when PB came in.

I think i'm right in saying that Brown's contract is up at the end of the season - hence replacing him in the next 6 months means we won't have to pay him off too much - I'm sure Ron will be conscious of that.

Despite most people suggesting otherwise, it certainly COULD be worse and I don't think Ron is silly enough to pull the trigger without knowing who's coming in. If he thinks he can get someone who might be able to offer more, I think he'll make a change unless our form picks up. But I don't see him cashing in on Brown and taking a gamble on someone like Kevin Maher.

Back