• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

PB's future - Go or stay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
It looks like we are entering a watershed in our season. So here's a poll for Zoners to vote on. Its not difficult, will he stay, resign or be sacked and when? It's a multiple choice job so you can vote on if as well if you want. Remember, if you disagree with any post on here play the post, not the poster. Off ya go.

The comments yesterday sounded like a man who wanted to be sacked. I don’t think he’ll resign and to be honest I’d never expect someone to walk away from employment off their own back

But to be so open about losing the dressing room and stating the players aren’t playing for you his position is surely untenable. Lose to Bradford and he’s gone

The only thing I will ever do is always love Southend. That's what I signed up to in 1986 when I was an 8 year attending to my first match and that's all I've ever done since .

I do wish that some of what PB did he was more accepted but alas that isn't the case. Listening to his interview yesterday I do think the writing is on the wall. If the players have decided not to play for him, I hate this, as it's the fans they hurt more, especially those that travel to watch lacklustre performances. Deride the manager as much as you want, but not giving your all the fans is a disgrace ..

The next manager I'll support and the one after and so on .. I hope and trust that Ron does whats best for the club to drive us forward so the next move he makes ( and he knows it is vital , it's not stupid and has a lot to stake within the club ) is vital.

Either make the change now or get PB signed up on a new contract .. you need stability in the next window as well as the long term manager in place to decide what players he wants to try and retain for the following season, with so many out of contract..

So yeah, I will still love you tomorrow .... but always the badge, I just hope the players can as well !

I have always been "best man for the job" etc etc but the interview last night throws everything open. I've never heard a manager pretty say "I deserve the sack". Buts the pressure on Ron, that. Sack him and pay him compensation or keep him - because I can't see him resigning.

I also don't do knee jerk, but as I've said elsewhere - yesterday was a whole new Circle of Hell. Something has to change because it is obvious this team isn't playing for him or for each other. What changes, I don't know. I have heard of pretty significant splits in the changing room, but nothing first hand.

I can see a scenario where Tilson and Barrett end up in the dug out. It'd certainly be a far cheaper option than bringing in a "name" but possibly exactly what SUFC need right now.

My gut feeling is that he'll be gone by "mutual consent". Probably have his contract paid up, but no compensation package. The old 'gardening leave' scenario. As 'Ayrshire' says, every interview of late, PB is making the position more and more untenable.

Lenny will be sold and for the time being Coghs will take over for the upcoming matches.

One thing having an "experienced" squad is there's a few natural leaders in there already. It's not a bunch of fresh faced youngsters, needing a manager immediately. The likes of Ferdy and Coxy would step up for the time being.

I'm wondering if someone has already been approached and PB knows this. Hence his rather odd interview yesterday.

It's a multiple choice job so you can vote on if as well if you want.

Just to help, here, as 'RHB' says, it's a multiple choice poll. Which is a good idea, as there's a combination of choices that I can see and also chose.

Last edited:
Ironically, don't think it will be any of the poll options. I think it's pretty much been decided and the season pretty much written off.

He'll last until Feb/March then be gone with someone new coming in to assess the squad before the summer as happened with PB replacing Sturrock.

Also have to remember that the options available will come into play. Right now, I'm struggling to think of any obvious candidates who are out of work.

For what it's worth, I think he's done a brilliant job here. He's taken us from League 2 play-off contenders who were never consistent to a side close to doing that consistently in League 1.

Yesterday's performance and this season's away form though are very hard to take, and after the gambles he's made and investment Ron has put in I'm not sure how long he can hold on for.

I have always been "best man for the job" etc etc but the interview last night throws everything open. I've never heard a manager pretty say "I deserve the sack". Buts the pressure on Ron, that. Sack him and pay him compensation or keep him - because I can't see him resigning.

I also don't do knee jerk, but as I've said elsewhere - yesterday was a whole new Circle of Hell. Something has to change because it is obvious this team isn't playing for him or for each other. What changes, I don't know. I have heard of pretty significant splits in the changing room, but nothing first hand.

I can see a scenario where Tilson and Barrett end up in the dug out. It'd certainly be a far cheaper option than bringing in a "name" but possibly exactly what SUFC need right now.

I know they have discussed this, which surprised me seeing how Tilly was treated when he left.

This could all make our Junior Blues Christmas Party on 19th very interesting - as Phil normally does it, who will be there to give out the presents?!!!

Out of interest, anyone with knowledge of employment law, if Phil's out of contract very soon, am I right in thinking there won't be an awful lot of compensation due?

Unlikely, but what about this as a scenario - Ron gives PB a new contract to back the manager to send the message to the players that he will not tolerate the lack of effort given to the club. Suddenly we would have a different ballgame where the players would be the ones to go. Very unlikely I know, but we have players that are going through the motions and are here for a final payday that also need to buck their ideas up or go.

If PB does go, then the new manager will still have several players on longer contracts that just are not good enough anymore, but we will be stuck with them. So will any new manager have his hands tied straight away with a underperforming squad that’s lacks the hunger and desire to do well?

I think This is a difficult one, we do need a change sooner rather than later, but will Martin sack Brown, I am not so sure, i think we have a reasonable enough team to stay in league one this year, so I suspect martin will let brown see out his contract and maybe look at a new manager roughly 10 games before the end of the season just like he did with Sturrock.

This could all make our Junior Blues Christmas Party on 19th very interesting - as Phil normally does it, who will be there to give out the presents?!!!

Most of the team, judging by yesterday's performance!

Ironically, don't think it will be any of the poll options. I think it's pretty much been decided and the season pretty much written off.

He'll last until Feb/March then be gone with someone new coming in to assess the squad before the summer as happened with PB replacing Sturrock.

The 'manor15' option has now been spawned (lovely word).

I know they have discussed this, which surprised me seeing how Tilly was treated when he left.

Out of interest, anyone with knowledge of employment law, if Phil's out of contract very soon, am I right in thinking there won't be an awful lot of compensation due?

I do not want Tilson and Barrett as replacements for PB.

Rather have Robson and Gerome!!

Stewart Robson and Jerome Boere.

Hmmmnn, that could work!

Unfortunately, Boere was Jeroen, not Jerome and in any event he's dead.

We've had Stewart. Didn't work.

Bryan Robson and Cameron Jerome (young Norwich striker)? Cameron is a friend of my stepdaughter. I'll have a word...

Whatever transpires now, there are things to remember. I, as a person that has called for the manager to go, have done so for footballing reasons. The differing opinions are what make football so emotive and exciting.
Despite the accusation of the pro Brown lobby, I have never been a PB hater. It has never been personal. I don't even know the man.
Maybe he will go now, who knows? But if he does it should be with the acknowledgement of his best efforts over the years and the hope he does well in the future. PB did it his way, as a manager that believes in himself should, sometimes it appears to have worked and others not.
PB is not a manikin in the technical area or just a disembodied northern chunterer on the radio. He is a bloke and, like all of us, does not deserve personal abuse and derision if he leaves. Thanks PB, it's time for you to have a fresh challenge and for us to get the next hopeful in. I wish you well for the future.

Football contracts are issued on a fixed term basis, so a termination as a result of non renewal will be for a potentially fair “some other substantial reason”. If PB’s contract is terminated before it expires, then the rest of the contract period would be due as compensation unless there is a notice clause in place that allows early termination (highly unlikely).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My opinion - a new manager must be familiar with the division. Would Tilly and Adam be? hat I mean is, let's say we decide we need a new number 55 (made up so as not to incriminate!). Are they going to know players that could fill that position?

Back