• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ronnie O Sullivan controversy.

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
So Ronnie O is upsetting other players again by being very disrespectful to players not as good as him. When he got knocked out of a tournament in the past by a low ranking player, he said he should not be losing to plebs. This World Championship, he said standards among the players is so bad, he would have to lose an arm and a leg to slip down the rankings. He's always said bad things about players not in his class. He then said another few strange things just before the semi-final with Selby. He said of his own game that he can't pot a long ball, and has no que action. Very strange coming from the player that had the best long potting and que action in the game, and most rightly regard as the best player that has ever lived. He then made it even worse by looking at the camera and saying if you want some inside betting info, back Selby to beat me. Not something again that he should be saying, especially as he came out, started potting all the long balls, and showed great que action to be leading Selby. I bet anyone that listened to him and backed Selby will be well annoyed. Very strange person Ronnie. Talks half sense and half absolute nonsense. He says things that shows he has little class. Then there was that year he expected the prize to be £147,000 for getting a 147 in the World Championship, and almost refusing to pot the black in protest when on the 147. I don't blame Barry Hearn for not offering that amount. With conditions, cloth, pockets, balls and standard of play much better, 147s are common.
Just wondered what anyone else thinks of him.

Pure Genius the player

Absolutely. And I even said he's rightly the best player ever. It's just this other side when he opens his mouth sometimes, or does things. In the past he's called weaker players muppets and all sorts. He once played and beat Alain Robidoux just using his wrong hand a lot, even if it was esier to use his proper hand. Absolutely brilliant to be able to do that, but once again, a lack of class. He didn't like Robidoux, so he did that to him. They had to hold Robidoux back after the match near the dressing rooms. He once had ago about a weaker player that ground out a result against him. The player kept it tight. There's a lot of money, ranking points, and invites at stake. So of course the weaker players are going to play the game that gives them the best chance to beat him. One player he insulted said the game's called snooker, not potting. He also told an older ref to go to spec savers, in a big tournament, on the tele with a packed crowd. He then said after, the ref has to retire, right now. He's still a ref.

Penny short of a shilling imo and his antics are oh so boring,there was only room for one naughty boy in snooker RIP Hurricane Higgins.

Not a pleasant character despite being the best ever. Hoping Selby beats him today.

If the current standard is so bad then maybe he should have won a world championship or two in the past seven years.

I don’t follow snooker closely but I do think that there should be more opportunities for qualifiers to take part in big events, so there’s more incentive at the amateur level

Brilliant performance by O'Sullivan at the death but some mad moments on the way. Definitely not the full shilling. Felt sorry for Selby.

It’s well recorded he has mental healthy issues, and thankfully he is happy to talk about it, rather than pretend all is well at times
The game of snooker would be so boring without him, he is the crowd puller and snooker knows this

I don't mean when the need calls for it. He does it when he feels like it. He's mocking his opponent

Yep, that's what he did against Robidoux, to take the p out of him. I have no problem him playing his wrong hand when it's easier to do so on some shots, but when using it for most of the frame to show he can beat someone wrong handed, or because he doesn't like them, it's just wrong, and not what a great champion should do.
He's now getting a bit of stick regarding the last frame, very unfairly. If he cleared up and potted the black, £25,000 would have gone to a childrens charity. You can see he didn't know about it as he didn't try too hard to get on the black from the pink. He then stretched and miscued the black, not really trying, rather than get the long pieces out, which he would have done had he known.

Not a pleasant character despite being the best ever. Hoping Selby beats him today.
I have ran against him in county cross country races and some 10k and 10 mile races, some years back, AND he seemed a normal guy who enjoyed his running and he was left to get on with it, no special treatment, nor I believe, would he have wanted any. IiRC he ran for Thrift Green Trotters?
Is he just fed up with snooker? It is a bit like darts imo, solitary, isolated,;okay but in small quantities: however he has to eat, sleep, drink and breath it for his multi millions. Does he realise how lucky he is?

I have ran against him in county cross country races and some 10k and 10 mile races, some years back, AND he seemed a normal guy who enjoyed his running and he was left to get on with it, no special treatment, nor I believe, would he have wanted any. IiRC he ran for Thrift Green Trotters?
Is he just fed up with snooker? It is a bit like darts imo, solitary, isolated,;okay but in small quantities: however he has to eat, sleep, drink and breath it for his multi millions. Does he realise how lucky he is?

This can apply to all sportsman at the peak of their careers, but as Fireman Blue pointed out, it doesn't mean anything if you have mental health issues, it is why so many shock suicides are reported, they have everything but nothing, anyway this a different topic all to gether

Love to watch him, left or right handed the guy brightens up a table when hes on there, and I agree the snooker youngsters have not fulfilled their promise, but again you can lose in first round time and time again and make a decent living

I met him once on a night out in sugar hut, not the sort of place I'd usually go or the sort of place I'd expect to see Ronnie. Kano was playing live so perhaps explains why we were both there? Although I think Ronnie just sat on his own by the bar all night. Said hello and said I was a fan, which was a bit of a lie as I don't watch snooker. He was a nice guy, friendly and happy enough to chat to anyone it seemed.

Back