• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ronnie O'Suillivan

Napster

No ⭐
Then came the brilliance, and after potting the first red in frame three O'Sullivan halted proceedings to ask what the prize for a 147 was, only to be eventually told there was no additional purse and only a £4,000 sum for the highest break.

He potted some outstanding balls in his maximum, achieved in barely 10 minutes - even with the delay when researching about the 147 prize - but shook hands with King after potting the pink.

Referee Jan Verhaas persuaded O'Sullivan to finish the break and he duly slammed in the black in nonchalant fashion.

"I wasn't going to pot the black because I asked and was told there was no break prize for a 147," O'Sullivan admitted to the BBC.

"What's the point of making a 147 if you're only going to make £4,000?"

He's an absolute genius, but also an absolute c-unit. If I was a spectator I would have got backstage and given him a piece of my mind. His attitude is an insult to fans and spectators

He's an absolute genius, but also an absolute c-unit. If I was a spectator I would have got backstage and given him a piece of my mind. His attitude is an insult to fans and spectators

Really? Higgins' recent behaviour is more of an insult in my mind.

I wasn't comparing it to Higgins

If I was there and saw him make 140 and walk away then I'd be gutted, I'm sure a lot if people watch snooker live and never get to see a 147.

I've lost any lingering respect I had for O'Sullivan. 4K may not be a lot to you, but to the vast majority of the country its a ****ing fortune. ********.

Heard this on the radio this morning. Another case for compulsory sterilisation of the underclasses and Yorkshire Blue

Blimey, a compliment from ORM: he doesn't think I'm a member of the underclass!

For the record I don't think he'd have short-changed spectators. The Rocket has made 9 previous 147s but I bet no-one had ever seen a 140 with someone not even attempting a shot at the final black. That would probably have lived longer in the mind than most of his actual 147s. The times he has short-changed the spectators is when he's given up trying when playing badly (by his astronomical standards) and not battled on, not when he's won playing the most brilliant, natural snooker that most of that crowd will have ever seen. He's raised the profile of the sport far more by doing that than anything Barry Hearn has ever done and snooker needs that extra attention - let's be honest, how many of you would have even been aware of that competition if he hadn't have done that? I wouldn't have.

At the end of the day he's a professional, of course he's playing for money. It's really not that vulgar a suggestion that a genius should profit from their talent. The great pole-vaulter Sergei Bubka would only attempt to break his world record if someone was paying for the privilege and then only 1 cm at a time - and he was a Communist!

Blimey, a compliment from ORM: he doesn't think I'm a member of the underclass!

For the record I don't think he'd have short-changed spectators. The Rocket has made 9 previous 147s but I bet no-one had ever seen a 140 with someone not even attempting a shot at the final black. That would probably have lived longer in the mind than most of his actual 147s. The times he has short-changed the spectators is when he's given up trying when playing badly (by his astronomical standards) and not battled on, not when he's won playing the most brilliant, natural snooker that most of that crowd will have ever seen. He's raised the profile of the sport far more by doing that than anything Barry Hearn has ever done and snooker needs that extra attention - let's be honest, how many of you would have even been aware of that competition if he hadn't have done that? I wouldn't have.

At the end of the day he's a professional, of course he's playing for money. It's really not that vulgar a suggestion that a genius should profit from their talent. The great pole-vaulter Sergei Bubka would only attempt to break his world record if someone was paying for the privilege and then only 1 cm at a time - and he was a Communist!

I get all almost all your points and agree, however I disagree with you saying the 140 would last longer in the memory than a 147. I doubt there are many fans who've seen more than one 147 live.

I'm surprised at the criticism O 'sullivan is getting in this thread. Seems to me to be the kind of thing that if Alex Higgin's had done in his day people would have said 'what a legend'. I can only personally recall a few 147's in the World Championships (when I used to bother to watch to help my procrastination from revision), but none in the other tournaments, so surely this one would stand out for those viewers whether he got 147 or 140. Surely this is the kind of behaviour snooker needs if it is going to become more 'interesting'.

I get all almost all your points and agree, however I disagree with you saying the 140 would last longer in the memory than a 147. I doubt there are many fans who've seen more than one 147 live.

But if he had just got a 147 would we have heard about it be discussing his brilliance? If you were chatting to someone who said they were at this tournament and saw O'sullivan get a 147 you would probably think 'that's mildly interesting' but if he had said he was at the game where O'Sullivan refused to get a 147 then surely that is much more interesting. Like Bradman's batting average, sometimes a flawed version can be more interesting / remarkable than perfection.......

used to be £147,000.

Barry Hearn on the radio this morning said you cant insure against it any more.

As MK says, 4 grand is a lot of money to a lot of people. The decent thing to do would have been to pot the black, take the 4 grand, give it to charity and say no more about it.
Great snooker player, but not much of a man.

Bradman's average wasn't for the lack of trying. As Steveo says, O'Sullivan showed a lack of respect to fans IMO.

I think thats quality. Especially when he asked when he was on 8 or 9 what the prize was for a 147. That is just sheer arrogance, and I love it.

I'm amazed about the SZ response to this. I don't have a great deal of time for Ronnie but yesterday's effort was incredible! What a player.

I'm amazed about the SZ response to this. I don't have a great deal of time for Ronnie but yesterday's effort was incredible! What a player.
I'm not in any way trying to detract from his unbelievable skill, he is a phenomenal player and a joy to watch. As Boywonder says, to be asking about the 147 after potting Red-Black shows how confident/cocky/arrogant he is, and I have nothing against that. What I do have a problem with is someone saying they won't try, and would deny fans the opportunity of seeing a 147. Especially to finish off what was one of his best 147s, it was so quick and so effortless.

Back