• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
Ron's address on "Developments with the Council" from programme v Bristol Rovers

As this had been requested by others on the match report thread, I thought I would post this so it's a bit more easily found for those interested...

Ron Martin said:
...Of course many of those that attended (Wembley) are not regular supporters but the fact that the Town of Southend came to support the Club was tremendous and made me and my family very proud...that level of support must be something of a record for a League 2 Club and demonstrates the potential.

This leads me onto an update upon the New Stadium Plans. I previously advised that Wednesday 10th April was a key date in the Club's calendar as this was the scheduled planning meeting when Members of the Borough Council were to determine the Club's Renewal Application.

I have gone on ad nauseam at all the circumstances surrounding the retail development and whether there was truly any adverse effect upon the High Street. Both our consultants, Savills, and the Council's, GL Hearn, both came to the conclusion that there was no "significant adverse impact" which is the test as set out by the Government Office. This therefore must be the starring (sic) point as to whether the Club's proposal should contribute to the High Street's regeneration. With the Law having changed since the original application in 2010 the unequivocal advice was the the Club has received was that no payment should be made; we also recognise the merits of what has been said by the Council and having originally offered £6m toward the High Street's regeneration, in an entirely different financial climate (2007) to that which exists today, it is right in my view that both the Club and Council came to a balanced judgement to recognsie each other's position.

At Wednesday's meeting of the Planning Committee Members debated for over two hours the merits of the Application and the Chief Planning Officer provided a very detailed assessment of the work that had gone on behind the scenes and the rationale that guided the Officers' Planning Report.

There were many questions asked by Councillors and it was good to see everybody taking time to ensure that all the benefits, together with any reservations, were weighed in the balance.

A football club does a great deal for its Town by raising its profile naturally, contributing to the social infrastructure bringing as it did last Sunday enormous pride to its residents.

This fact was absolutely recognised by Members of the Council and as I say after some two hours the Chairman put forward a proposal in favour albeit with a changed emphasis on when the funds are received by the council which is something that we will be discussing with Officers over the next few days.

The Chairman's proposal was voted on 11/4 in favour and therefore carried with a strong majority.

I do not anticipate the Conditions attached to the Council's decision to be a serious impediment and therefore anticipate that we can now tie up all the loose ends very swiftly.

I will keep supporters advised as to the progress through the Club's website during the close season which will include, all being well, the Construction Programme.....

Includes Capital Letters where originally written! :winking:

what's worrying is that he still hasn't put something on the OS. He loves good news, which he's suggesting this is, however I guess there are still uncertainties about the funding which mean he's holding his tongue for a little longer.

Somebody please educate the man on when to use a capital letter and when not to. It is driving me up the wall.

I cautiously welcome this though. Making the right noises, but like everyone else, I will believe it when I see it.

Somebody please educate the man on when to use a capital letter and when not to. It is driving me up the wall.

I cautiously welcome this though. Making the right noises, but like everyone else, I will believe it when I see it.
There must be someone in the club who proof reads things???

Yes but I am reliably informed Ron doesn't like his prose played with.

So last season we got regular updates from ron in the matchday programme regarding the stadium, whether anything was happening or not! the THAT article came out in the Echo saying a deal was days away. now NOTHING... anyone know anything?

(apologies if I havent seen something, I dont use the forum enough)

Wasn't there a 3 month period where people could put in legal objections that ended back in July? Why haven't we heard anything since?

SBC V Ron Martin

Similar to;

Pot calling kettle.

Who/which can/would you be confident in doing their best for anyone other than their own benefit?

Maybe the 3 month period didn't end in July?

It ended on the 12th (I think) it was of July. I have not heard of any objections being put in by anybody..From what I do hear though D-day is the 1st of October for all deals to be signed up with Sainsbury's. Whether that includes RM paying/ or the council giving him Boots and Laces, I have no idea.

It ended on the 12th (I think) it was of July. I have not heard of any objections being put in by anybody..From what I do hear though D-day is the 1st of October for all deals to be signed up with Sainsbury's. Whether that includes RM paying/ or the council giving him Boots and Laces, I have no idea.

Cricko , do you have any more details on exactly what is 'potentially' happening on the 1st Oct

18 days to go until something, or nothing, is announced/or not, that no-one quite understands what is... :blush:

well Sainsbury certainly don't have a site like that for us. Not sure if thats worrying or not!

Back