• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bar na bas

Schoolboy⭐
Chairman's Blog

This week’s topic – Youth Development – is one of my favourites. This is probably in recognition that the Club’s advancement must be from organic growth.

Over the last couple of weeks I have talked about player purchase and the increased structure that we have, and are continuing to, put in place to assist the decision making regarding player purchase and to lessen both the “foreign experience” and “agent influence”.

We are never going to eradicate agents and I can equally see the necessity of some players needing guidance. It is only when those agents are clearly not working in their clients’ best interests that I have become concerned. In my view their interests take priority over their clients’ interests i.e. the footballer far too frequently. That said, I am a little jaundiced on this subject and, of course, I always want what is best for Southend United Football Club.

The way in which we can improve not only our knowledge and judgement and perhaps also lessen those external influences is to ensure that our players are brought up within a culture that reflects not only their best interest but also those of the Club.

Our Youth Development Programme will achieve that unity.

I remarked last week about how able Ricky Duncan is. Ricky was employed by the Club some years ago but left to join Cambridge where there was good advancement in their youth setup. However Cambridge United’s first team’s fall from grace provided an opportunity for Ricky to rejoin Southend – now approaching four years.

Prior to that our youth programme, whilst always important in my mind, was a secondary issue relative to the Club’s finances, first team success and a whole host of other issues that we first needed to address. Nevertheless, as soon as we had corrected other parts of the business the nurturing of young players and providing both the infrastructure and investment to achieve an eventual assembly line was next in my sights.

It is my thought that a lot of clubs in the lower divisions pay lip service to their Centres of Excellence, operating within the grant budget as opposed to making available additional funds to achieve a true investment in the Club’s future. I can understand other Club’s reservations because it may take a considerable amount of money before any fruits of those labours are seen and even then it cannot be guaranteed.

When Ricky rejoined us he was fortunately able to bring some personnel from the Cambridge set up and a few players also followed. That helped kick start this area of the business.

Our growth has been rapid and I have no doubt this will continue as we apply more funds and personnel to the system. I set out below a family tree (prepared by others) of the individuals involved in the Football Club’s management which identifies the various strands including our current youth programme.

Football Management Structure:

0,,10444~5351233,00.jpg

You can therefore begin to see the investment that goes on behind the scenes and careful planning all in an effort to provide future success together with stability and longevity to our Club.

The fruits of this initial investment are already beginning to show with the likes of Franck Moussa, Johnny Herd and Stuart O’Keefe. I am confident there are several others waiting in the wings.

We have already established satellites outside our immediate geography together with the beginning of a network overseas which includes a development exchange programme with CD Javea in Spain. Indeed at this evening’s match against Crewe Alexandra we have not only Javea’s Manager and President attending, but also the Chief Scout of Villarreal, who have a close association with Javea, so that we may broaden the Club’s opportunities.

The next and most vital step in our Youth Development Programme is to achieve academy status which will be obtained in conjunction with the new stadium plans. I am hopeful we will meet those criteria within 18 months.

Apart from a requirement for improved education for academy footballers we also have to provide a 60m x 40m indoor area which I am planning as part of the retail development adjacent to the new stadium.

I therefore hope that our supporters can begin to understand the pivotal role the new stadium plans will play not just in terms of increased revenues but the impact it will have on attracting young players.

I know that some supporters feel that funds are diverted to the new stadium. This is not correct, but significant funds are employed in building and developing the Football Club’s business for the future whilst, of course, our attention remains focused on the present.

I am convinced this holistic approach is the right way forward.

Next week I want to stay with Youth Development and just reflect on some of the Club’s activity over the past five years and give you my outlook over the next five years as a direct comparison of how I see your Club advancing.

However, for the moment my immediate attention is focused on tonight’s match against Crewe Alexandra and three more points. Keep the faith!

Up the Blues!

ronsig.gif
Ron Martin
Chairman,
Southend United Football Club

thats reassuring to know that fund are not being used to fund the new stadium (ha I say new stadium like we have one) so anyway my next question must be were is it then?? the money not the stadium

thats reassuring to know that fund are not being used to fund the new stadium (ha I say new stadium like we have one) so anyway my next question must be were is it then?? the money not the stadium
Cockles, whilst I agree with some of your points, your obsession that indicates that money grows on trees I do not understand. Have you actually read a copy of the accounts? Even looking at the family tree should give you an indication that there's a lot of people behind the scenes that are being paid to do a job - not just the players!

I'm just struggling to see what you are trying to achieve by only posting when its regarding Ron & money. A copy of the accounts will point you in the right direction as to the current finances & costs that go through the football club.

Anyone got a bigger version of the 'family tree'?

I think you can click on it and it gets bigger.... and you can right click on it and save it to your PC, then view it to your heart's content (if you really want to), picking up on such facts as it was produced about a week ago, presumably, before West went north....

It appeared in my in box about half way through the first half, so that indicates I was not the only one not watching the match (work commitments, but a wise move, as it turns out).

Cockles, whilst I agree with some of your points, your obsession that indicates that money grows on trees I do not understand. Have you actually read a copy of the accounts? Even looking at the family tree should give you an indication that there's a lot of people behind the scenes that are being paid to do a job - not just the players!

I'm just struggling to see what you are trying to achieve by only posting when its regarding Ron & money. A copy of the accounts will point you in the right direction as to the current finances & costs that go through the football club.

From which year is this einstein? As i think the questions being asked are regarding this year. The year in which RM said we have a war chest (but ST cant apparently use it) When the club has pulled in a lot of monies over and above those budgeted for but still no investment. Bar 10k for christophe.

From which year is this einstein? As i think the questions being asked are regarding this year. The year in which RM said we have a war chest (but ST cant apparently use it) When the club has pulled in a lot of monies over and above those budgeted for but still no investment. Bar 10k for christophe.

This war chest thing. Let's clear this up. That was said, ONCE, on the condition of getting the new stadium. Yes we have planning consent, but with the whole economy in dire straits do you really think we have that 'war chest' yet? That would have been on the back of being bale to fund the new stadium, which of course, is now much harder than it was planned.

I'm concerned Ron has not got a network of scouts scouring the Scandanavian leagues.

Has he never played Championship manager?

Strange time to release it I thought - mine arrived after kick off! Oh and the reserve manager who just left is still on the "family tree"!

I think you can click on it and it gets bigger.... and you can right click on it and save it to your PC, then view it to your heart's content (if you really want to), picking up on such facts as it was produced about a week ago, presumably, before West went north....

It appeared in my in box about half way through the first half, so that indicates I was not the only one not watching the match (work commitments, but a wise move, as it turns out).

A little further research shows a direct link back to Henry VIII.

Poster below has cleared up the war chest thing.

I present you two scenario's though. You are an average man on an average salary. (A bit like SUFC in football for instance).

You have been a wise man and been lucky enough to save up a considerable wedge in your bank account over the last three years through shrewd finance management. In the current climate though, you are spending more than you are making, and this is causing you great concern. Every month it's resulting in you having to keep dipping into your "safety net" account. You're worried about money and where you'll be in six months. The missus wants a new top of the range £5,000 flatscreen TV with all the trimmings. You have two options:

1) You say what the hell. I'll buy it. Unfortunately, the shop you are buying from though says there's no guarantee it'll work and if it breaks, the TV might not be mended for a year. It's a tough decision, and one which could leave you bankrupt if you lose your job, but you'll take the chance anyway.

2) Or you believe you can survive without a new TV and you'll just struggle through these times just about keeping yourself afloat until you can get yourself a new revenue stream?

Does he not know that Colin West left about a week ago? He's still on the management structure

I present you two scenario's though. You are an average man on an average salary. (A bit like SUFC in football for instance).

You have been a wise man and been lucky enough to save up a considerable wedge in your bank account over the last three years through shrewd finance management. In the current climate though, you are spending more than you are making, and this is causing you great concern. Every month it's resulting in you having to keep dipping into your "safety net" account. You're worried about money and where you'll be in six months. The missus wants a new top of the range £5,000 flatscreen TV with all the trimmings. You have two options:

1) You say what the hell. I'll buy it. Unfortunately, the shop you are buying from though says there's no guarantee it'll work and if it breaks, the TV might not be mended for a year. It's a tough decision, and one which could leave you bankrupt if you lose your job, but you'll take the chance anyway.

2) Or you believe you can survive without a new TV and you'll just struggle through these times just about keeping yourself afloat until you can get yourself a new revenue stream?

I wished you'd write a book of analogies Glen - if I could give you green I would

I'd buy the telly, get Sky+ and everything. You never know, like a few of my previous tellies it might increase in value and I'd be able to flog it for big profits in a couple of years. Having said that it might miss an easy chance against Leeds and sleep with another players missus (allegedly).

Clever or stupid? It's a fine line.

Are you saying that Ron's and or Tilson's wife/wives is/are exerting a Machiavellian influence on player signings and team selection?

If so things are worse than we all feared.

Back