• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
Chairman's Blog

As highlighted last week, my blogs were initially for a trial period. The first was toward the end of January and this is week 7.

Whilst I have spoken openly and freely about a number of topics I do not, as I have already mentioned, know whether I have answered the majority of questions that supporters may have surrounding their Club. However I am hoping, in some small way, I have provided some information which you have found interesting.

In my first blog dated 27th January I said that the blogs would cover such things as football finances, stadium plans, management strategy (including scouting), youth development (including academy status) and the Club’s work in the community (and how it integrates with growth)

I also went on to say that we would look at my medium to long-term ambitions for your Club and how I perceive these being achieved

Hopefully I have laid the foundations for some of the building blocks on which to grow Southend United Football Club and how these interact in the production of income streams and the managerial processes associated with the investment and decision making.

I have not really talked about my medium to long term ambitions but one thing I can say about my character is that I will never be satisfied with Southend United staying in the lower echelons of the Football League. If I thought there was no opportunity to advance the Club to fulfil its potential my driven characteristics would probably be very frustrated.

Fortunately we have made great strides with the new stadium and this is where I know – unequivocally – the potential of your Football Club will be achieved.

I hope my ambitious never give up attitude percolates throughout the Club for if that vision and direction ceases then there is only one way for a football club to go – and that is down. In my view a football club always needs to be ahead of the curve in every department to compete and succeed. This is just what I intend to do through the new stadium plans.

I hope and anticipate that we will be in the Championship before the stadium is completed. If that is not the case then all the ingredients will have been made available to not only be promoted but also to sustain a position both through fulfilling the Club’s potential for growth in its supporter base but also in the availability and income streams that simply do not and could not exist at Roots Hall.

Once we are back in the Championship I intend to stay there and continue to build the Club to ensure it has the ability to compete at the top end. There can never be any guarantees but I hope you know from reading what I have said over the last few weeks that every area of the Club is constantly under the microscope for improvement on and off the field.

You – our customers – as I have said are the lifeblood of that current and future success and your concerns will never be ignored. I will not always have the time to answer every query personally but I hope, as I say above, I have gone some way to providing the answers to some questions. What I would now like from you is to raise any further points which I have not yet covered and I will do my best to address them.

These issues can relate to areas I have already spoken about or new topics directly or indirectly associated with the Club and its past, present and future. I will not be looking at the emails personally – this will be the responsibility of our media department who can select six or eight most commonly asked questions which I can not only provide answers to but also, where appropriate, give further commentary if required.

What I would suggest is that we run that forum for the next two to three weeks and see where that takes us. If, after that period, the general consensus is that this blog is worth continuing then I will continue.

Over to you; send any questions or comments you may have to media@southend-united.co.uk. As I said in last week’s blog I promise not to duck any issue!

I look forward to hearing from you (I think!).

Up the Blues!

Ron Martin

Here's my question to Ron:

Dear Ron,

Thank you for sending through your blog - I am sure I speak for a considerable proportion of the support when I say that we greatly value the time that you take to write to us and share your thoughts and vision with us for the club as you strive to take the club forward.

In our recent history one of the greatest threats to the club's viability, as well as the biggest obstacle to its growth, has been the debt which has attached to the club. My questions therefore relate to the club's levels of debt, as follows.

(i) What is the current level of debt that the club (including the club's directly related companies, SEL and RHL) is servicing?

(ii) What is the anticipated level of debt that the club (including the club's directly related companies and any SPVs set up to facilitate the move) will be servicing once the stadium move is complete, net of any proceeds from the development of the Roots Hall site?

If you are able to answer these questions - together with, of course, any observations as to how the debt will be serviced and ultimately paid off - I should be most grateful.

Yours sincerely,

Matt Walker

www.ShrimperZone.com

Just sent in my question ;)

First of all as a supporter of nearly 20 years can I commend the club on their desire to provide its fans, and indeed its customers, with as much information as possible through various means. This, to me, suggests a well-run forward thinking organisation, which certainly hasn’t always been the case over the past two decades.

As somebody who has always taken a close interest in what strip the team plays in, here are my questions, all related to the team kit.

1) Will the arrangement with Just Sport (e.g. the outsourcing of the club shop) remain in place for next season?

2) Will the current kits change for 09/10 and will they still be made by Nike?

3) Are Insure&Go likely to renew as main shirt sponsors or are we actively searching for a replacement?

4a) What is the rational behind how the design of kit is chosen?

I remember from the shareholder minutes, that we simply do not have enough demand to ask Nike to come up with a bespoke design therefore with our current agreement with Just Sport we have to pick & choose from the Nike teamwear catalogue. I would have to question the choices for the 07/08 home shirt (a 3 year old design) and the 08/09 red away shirt (far too much like a Leyton Orient shirt).

4b) Bearing in mind the above, why can the supporters not be given options of say 3 choices for the kit & the most popular vote is then chosen?
Other teams do this, such as Ipswich and even Just Sport contracted teams like Crystal Palace (new for 09/10) and Hartlepool.

5) Why do we have to wait until mid August (at the earliest) to be able to buy the new design of shirts?
Again, other teams tend to change their shirts and either play the last game of the season in the following years kit (Watford), or at least announce the change around the end of the season. This then allows a short lead-time and so replicas are available in June, in time for holidays/wearing in the summer weather etc.

6) Following on from our special Remembrance Day Poppy shirts and Oldham’s example of playing in neon pink as a one-off to assist a local hospital charity, would SUFC consider more charitable efforts?

Thanks again for taking the time to write the blog, they are always entertaining reading.

Regards

Richard Reade

Last edited:
Dear Mr. Martin,

Earlier this month a representative of Southend United posted on this board, inviting Benfleet Blue to contact you directly, and suggesting that anyone who knew his true identity should supply it to the club. Since that post, there has been an ominious silence about the subject, not least from Benfleet Blue himself. In fact, on consulting his Profile, it appears that Benfleet Blue has not been on these boards since:

Last Activity: 08-03-2009 07:22 AM

My understanding from a source "very close to someone who is very close to the club and the airport but absolutely isn't a Fireman" is that Benfleet Blue has, in fact, been Rendered from Southend Airport in the early hours and flown abroad for questioning.

What I would like to know is this - If I send you a list of posters, can you arrange the same for them?

Your Sincerely

A very loyal Martinite.

Dear Mr. Martin,

Earlier this month a representative of Southend United posted on this board, inviting Benfleet Blue to contact you directly, and suggesting that anyone who knew his true identity should supply it to the club. Since that post, there has been an ominious silence about the subject, not least from Benfleet Blue himself. In fact, on consulting his Profile, it appears that Benfleet Blue has not been on these boards since:

My understanding from a source "very close to someone who is very close to the club and the airport but absolutely isn't a Fireman" is that Benfleet Blue has, in fact, been Rendered from Southend Airport in the early hours and flown abroad for questioning.

What I would like to know is this - If I send you a list of posters, can you arrange the same for them?

Your Sincerely

A very loyal Martinite.

Hopefully he'll reply soon, Guantanamo is shutting at the end of the year.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for taking the time to write your blog.

I would like to ask if there are any plans for Steve Tilson and Paul Brush to take German/Italian/Spanish/Portuguese lessons?

When we take our rightful place at the pinnacle of the footballing pyramid we will undoubtedly be able to attract the cream of global football talent. I would imagine very few of these players will hail from within the M25 and surrounding areas. Instead they are more likely to have made high profile moves from the Brazilian, Italian, German and Spanish leagues . With this in mind I think it is vital that our management team be able to accurately and eloquently express their vision of total football 'The Southend Way' in the players native tongues so that they can get straight down to business on the pitch and start repaying their muti-million Euro transfer fees.

On a PR front I think it would help establish the Southend brand across the globe if Steve Tilson conducted interviews in German/Italian/Spanish/Portuguese (depending on the broadcaster) following Champions league matches.

Many Thanks.

Mad Cyril

Something for Ron to consider.

1. What exactly was your relationship with Anton Johnson at Scarborough.

2. Do you believe the best chairman are the ones who are quiet and let their managers do the talking on the pitch ?

3. Why did you not let Tilson speak to Norwich and test his loyalty to the club.

Ron, are you actually a magician? As i notice you have magically concealed half of Southend's support up your arse?

Sorry to get all serious after some very funny comments/questions, but my question is simple (ish!):

You often say that the ancillary activities around the stadium will financially benefit Southend United, the football team, but please can you explain how? Who is going to be the landowner that gets the right to rent, etc from the ancillary activities? On the assumption that the landowner is not (directly or indirectly) Southend United Football Club, why should that landowner distribute any of its profits or income to the football club, even if the landowner and the football club happen to be in the same group of companies? Aside from having a nice new stadium with more modern facilities, how will the new complex benefit the football club financially if the football club is not the owner of the ground or any of the surrounding facilities? Surely the proposal is not that another company gives the football team financial handouts through the goodness of its heart? You will of course be aware that the directors of the landowner company will owe a duty to maximise profits for the benefit of its shareholders and not to distribute profits to another company unless it makes financial sense to the landowner company.

I can't think of a catchier way to phrase these questions, but this is the essence of the question as to how the stadium is meant to benefit the club. Please note Ron has said he will only answer the most commonly asked questions. If you think you'd like to know the answer to these questions, please confirm below that you'd like to ask Ron this to add numbers to these important questions. If SZ proves a number of us want to know the answers and have asked Ron, he will need to answer them.

Sorry to get all serious after some very funny comments/questions, but my question is simple (ish!):

You often say that the ancillary activities around the stadium will financially benefit Southend United, the football team, but please can you explain how? Who is going to be the landowner that gets the right to rent, etc from the ancillary activities? On the assumption that the landowner is not (directly or indirectly) Southend United Football Club, why should that landowner distribute any of its profits or income to the football club, even if the landowner and the football club happen to be in the same group of companies? Aside from having a nice new stadium with more modern facilities, how will the new complex benefit the football club financially if the football club is not the owner of the ground or any of the surrounding facilities? Surely the proposal is not that another company gives the football team financial handouts through the goodness of its heart? You will of course be aware that the directors of the landowner company will owe a duty to maximise profits for the benefit of its shareholders and not to distribute profits to another company unless it makes financial sense to the landowner company.

I can't think of a catchier way to phrase these questions, but this is the essence of the question as to how the stadium is meant to benefit the club. Please note Ron has said he will only answer the most commonly asked questions. If you think you'd like to know the answer to these questions, please confirm below that you'd like to ask Ron this to add numbers to these important questions. If SZ proves a number of us want to know the answers and have asked Ron, he will need to answer them.

This is also something that has always concerned me and I have yet to be convinced that a new stadium will be the key to success - only a way to pay off the Clubs debts and make money for the owners.

As far as I know, 'The Club' now own nothing and as Elstreeblue says will continue to own nothing - maybe RM could calm our worries!

I certainly would: Very Good Questions

1)Elstree Blue
2)Hindle_666
3)grassroots

Last edited:
Ron,

Could it be arranged for a pre season tour abroad somewhere? , perhaps making use of the contacts the club has with CD Javea?

Back