• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm currently mulling over the chance to do a year in Canada... I better get to some games whilst I'm allowed, will I have to sow a star onto my shirt?

Last edited:
I'm in the process of going for what is effectively my dream job... It'll mean I won't be able to make 95% of the fixtures, as if I'm successful, I'll be Reading's answer to Scrivs.

If I land it, will I still be able to post on this board?

In a word...no!...you berk_shire royal!

I think that to a certain extent the two broad subjects that have come out of this thread so far, ie our Chairman and his intentions and the commitment, or so called lack there of, of some of our exiled supporters are linked. Hindle, J, Cockles etc are undoubtedly fanatical supporters of the club we all love but I think in some ways it's that fanaticism that influences there views and opinions on all manner of Southend United topics that run contrary to the views of the majority of the members of SZ.

Your so caught up and so passionate about everything SUFC related that reasoned thought processes go out the window. Listening and understanding the views, opinions and official statements from others becomes all the harder to accept and believe.

I think it's also got something to do with the culture of the support you grew up with. For example, the all male dominated standing only terracing, the gang mentality, the culture of it being a 'non family sport' etc. For those that are, and have always been so passionate about something, especially football and SUFC, change is all the more harder to accept and adopt. With change comes a certain amount of trust in those that are imposing that change but why the points I made in paragraph two will always stop that trust being gained. In my opinion this is why Ron is banging his head up against a brick wall as far as convincing those detractors of his that he has the best interests of the club and the town at heart (together with his wallet).

Their misguided opinions, views and mistrust of certain individuals at the helm of our club are ingrained in their footballing psyche and, I suspect, will be until they die.

Now, after saying all that I could be completely wrong but until someone comes back to me with a reasonable and factual reason explaining why exactly they have such an inherent mistrust of our chairman and other aspects of our club I'll stick to my opinions :)

37 minutes to Top Gear chaps :clap:

That right there, Ladies and Gentlemen, is the fundamental answer to any argument levied at Ron Martin.

It's not RM's fault that we're losing money and our debt remains high, this is an attribute of the football business as a whole, especially during a recession. Look around you, The ONLY clubs to be spending serious amounts of money are those with wealthy financial backers and the income streams to support it. I only see Huddersfield splashing the cash in this division... with even Charlton and Norwich being sensible.

Thank god we have a business savvy Chairman who acknowledges the economic downturn and has made provisions for it... Otherwise, I don't think we'd have a club to moan about.
Here's a tangent for you (or anyone) then.

Should their be more enforcements that say a club can only spend x % (not necessarily less than 100) of it's revenue on expenditure?

I certainly think wages need to be capped.

Here's a tangent for you (or anyone) then.

Should their be more enforcements that say a club can only spend x % (not necessarily less than 100) of it's revenue on expenditure?

I certainly think wages need to be capped.

Not really, as that'll just provide more limits on what spending Football Clubs can allocate, hindering transfer efforts that are already limited due to the influence of agents, bosman rulings and image rights deals.

History dictates that organic growth for a Football Club is the only sure fire way for success, as even Man United's income revenue is still around 70% dependent on their gate reciepts. If clubs want to gamble everything for a quick shot at success? Then, for me, they're more than welcome to have a pop... The Leeds and Newcastle's of English football will tell you that existing outside of your means will only result in failure.

Isn't there a wage cap already in force in League One and League where your only allowed to spend a certain amount (70% rings a bell) of income on wages?

Interesting stuff.

I don't know enough about this sort of thing to have much of an informed opinion, but my thoughts were that everyone's overspending (including us) just to stay alive, if we carry on we might not have too many football clubs left.

Interesting stuff.

I don't know enough about this sort of thing to have much of an informed opinion, but my thoughts were that everyone's overspending (including us) just to stay alive, if we carry on we might not have too many football clubs left.

I don't think lower league football clubs living beyond their means is anything new. In the past players were always sold to balance the books eg in the 70s we sold Bill Garner, Peter Taylor and Chris Guthrie in successive seasons each for over £100k - big bucks in those days.
Things like the Bosman ruling, the transfer window and players widepsread use of agents leading to higher wages have all made balancing the books even harder these days.

thank you.thats where we are differant

How many games have you missed in the last couple of years that Southend have played in? Include in this pre-season games, cup games and league games.

You cant pick and chose when you want to support the club it should be in your heart,if you can stop supporting a club through choice you should ask yourself how much does it really mean to you.

As has already been pointed out its not a case of thinking "I can't be bothered with the club i love anymore", despite what a wiser man then me said football isn't more important then life or death.

Having the club in your heart is not the same as attending every game.
Health, family, work, money can all restrict the number of games a supporter can get to.

Equally some of the supporters who get to every game seem to be among those who advocate abusing players when they are struggling.

Sometimes i wonder why people do attend everygame, i fear sometimes it becomes more of a duty then an enjoyable experiance.

In that case I hope to God your never in a position whereby you have to choose between caring for a terminally ill fiance (or in your case wife) or supporting Southend United. For three years out of the ten I've missed this was the position I was in but I carried on following the club I love with my heart, listening to every home and away game, buying the kits etc. You have no right whatsoever to assume that because someone has HAD to move away or stop going to games that that somehow makes them any less a supporter than you or I. If indeed, as you say, support is in your heart then that makes you no better, or worse, supporter than I or any other poster on this board.

Mate you shouldn't have to explain your position. No one fan is better then another. Sometimes i despair, no doubt my choice of club will be brought into this. I love Leeds United in the same way you all love Southend. Its from attending Elland Road that i know that you can really fall in love with something on first sight, your club chooses you and nothing can ever change that. Girlfriends, wives, boyfriends etc will come and go but your club will always be there.

Last year i travelled several thousand miles and spent more money then i should have following my team in the same way you all do, whether thats once a season or every week it doesn't matter to me. Its whether your first question when you phone home from your holiday is have "WE" signed yet, its when your weekend and most of the next week is ruined when you lose, its when you can't help but check the website 100 times a day when you should be working. These things make you a fan in my eyes.

Same old bollocks coming from the same old whining faces stuck in past and fearful of the future and change. It's all getting rather tedious and predictable. One thing that does strike me however is that those that are so vocal in their criticisms of RM and his strategy for this club are just like Wiggy. They spout a complete load of crap but when it comes to backing their opinions with reasoned debate they either don't reply at all of refuse to acknowledge the facts.

I wonder if those same voices will be prepared to come back on here in three or four seasons time when the new stadium is up and running, money is being made available to attract the players we require and both Tilly & Brush are still at the helm and say 'sorry, I was wrong'. I doubt it. More likely they'll find something else about the club to bitch and whine about.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think that to a certain extent the two broad subjects that have come out of this thread so far, ie our Chairman and his intentions and the commitment, or so called lack there of, of some of our exiled supporters are linked. Hindle, J, Cockles etc are undoubtedly fanatical supporters of the club we all love but I think in some ways it's that fanaticism that influences there views and opinions on all manner of Southend United topics that run contrary to the views of the majority of the members of SZ.

Your so caught up and so passionate about everything SUFC related that reasoned thought processes go out the window. Listening and understanding the views, opinions and official statements from others becomes all the harder to accept and believe.

I think it's also got something to do with the culture of the support you grew up with. For example, the all male dominated standing only terracing, the gang mentality, the culture of it being a 'non family sport' etc. For those that are, and have always been so passionate about something, especially football and SUFC, change is all the more harder to accept and adopt. With change comes a certain amount of trust in those that are imposing that change but why the points I made in paragraph two will always stop that trust being gained. In my opinion this is why Ron is banging his head up against a brick wall as far as convincing those detractors of his that he has the best interests of the club and the town at heart (together with his wallet).

Their misguided opinions, views and mistrust of certain individuals at the helm of our club are ingrained in their footballing psyche and, I suspect, will be until they die.

Now, after saying all that I could be completely wrong but until someone comes back to me with a reasonable and factual reason explaining why exactly they have such an inherent mistrust of our chairman and other aspects of our club I'll stick to my opinions :)

37 minutes to Top Gear chaps :clap:
Im sure RM done all he can to keep Southend afloat, but at the end of the day he has used money that was earmarked for taxation. He must have known that the Revenue would come knocking, and that failure to pay them would bring a heap of trouble. I know this is in hindsight, and im sure your tax the money was used in a good cause, but if you pay anybody you pay your tax

Back