• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A very interesting read, but a little worrying.

I would guess that RM has a little bit more than an unhealthy influence in team signings & in effect selections. I've heard stories in the recent past about falling outs over signings, but I guess from what has been written in this blog & elsewhere, that he has the final say over who is signed.

I know its his money, but he has employed Tilly as his manager & should back him or sack him. What does RM know about football? About the same as us who never played at that level. What does Tilly know about financing & running a club? A lot less to RM. Stick to what you're good at chaps!

:madman:

Again, i go back to last night and the Martin out thread, he doesn't have to ****ing justify any of this but is giving us all a real insight into OUR football club.

Or what he's actually doing, is just giving you an "insight" Into what he does want you to know.

Perhaps next week, he can write about the details of his questioning by police, the conditions that he had whilst he was on bail, and what mistakes (if any) led to the police wanting to question him. That would be an interesting read.

I found this quite interesting. Clearly he's giving his side of things, but the way it's written it doesn't appear "spun". In fact, I think if someone had proof read this one before publication it would have been rejected and watered down.

What I did find surprising was RM stating that interviewing players and understanding their family situation etc before signing was some kind of revolution in football. You mean this doesn't always happen before taking on a new employee in any business? Sure, it doesn't always work out, but this kind of due diligence is basic interview technique.

It strikes me that perhaps many clubs are run like Football Manager if the management don't do their homework before investing in some very costly assets!

Obviously he's an egomaniac or he wouldn't have bought the club in the first place, so the blog's another opportunity to build his part. Overall it gets the thumbs up from me.

agreed about the panic buy thing, I mean who would have known there would be a transfer window this january

The thing is that the actual creation of the window creates a false market. For a player to be transferred, 4 things have to happen;

1) The buying club have to want the player
2) The player has to want (or agree) to join
3) The selling club has to want (or agree) to sell
4) The financials have to be right for all parties.

What has happened over the last few seasons with the window is that clubs in a poor or false position in the league have moved to strengthen their squads by buying in the window. Because it's the only opportunity to trade, selling clubs will not be too eager to deal, firstly in case a better offer comes along but more importantly they know that if they wait until the 11th hour the buying club will be more desperate and therefore more likely to pay a higher price.

That's why, historically, most transfer deals have taken place on deadline day.

Personally I'd like to see the autumn window extended until the end of September and the January window scrapped altogether. I'd also like to see it made impossible for managers to leave clubs mid season. It would improve the quality of the coaching as managers would have to work with what they had, struggling clubs couldn't fire and hire gaffers willy nilly and it would ensure a decent side didn't have their season ruined by a "big" team taking their boss away. But that's the subject of another thread.

Or what he's actually doing, is just giving you an "insight" Into what he does want you to know.

Perhaps next week, he can write about the details of his questioning by police, the conditions that he had whilst he was on bail, and what mistakes (if any) led to the police wanting to question him. That would be an interesting read.

Is that relevant to the running of our club then?

Reading some of the above comments, Ron's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't when it comes to commenting on things publicly.

Freddy may not travel well! I like it.
Interesting read.

Yep! It was one of the things I picked out. Nice to know that our Ron has got a sense of humour................I suppose he needs one. Didn't remember that we sold JCR for as little as 200K.
If we take what he says at face value 100k could have been the difference between staying in the Championship (with MacDonald on board), and ending up in League One with Foran on our back. As he said ............. ...........hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I do appreciate the blog, one can interpret it as you like but, after all he has no obligation to keep in touch with the fans.......I don't know if there are many other Chairmen who do a similar thing?

Hate to say it, but as with last week, the 'blog's' too long and RM spends too much time explaining the obvious ie players backgound etc, which is something any junior manager worth his salt would do of course! Reads a bit like it was done in the late hours with to the accompaniment of a bottle of wine, when things seem more important than they really are..........until you re-read in the morning and hopefully you haven't 'sent' it!

The reference to Foran is interesting, especially as he calls him a 'striker', is this another little dig at Tilly, who hardly ever played him there?

Anyway, at least RM is in contact with the fans, I still dont like the way its done - a 'blog' seems to be preaching to the converted. I'd much rather a regular column in the local paper, but I suppose we have to be grateful for small mercies.

I'd still like to know why we haven't signed a permanent left midfielder since Gower left. Maybe Tilson has identified targets but Ron has refused to write the cheque because using his new 'scientific methods' he has found out that they dont stock the prospective players favourite brand of milkshake in the local newsagent, leaving him with no other option but to say 'Sorry Steve, I'd love to bring him here, but I just dont think he will settle'.

Nice 'populist' dig at Colchester to win over the fans. This is the Colchester who, incidentally, have actually built and moved into their new stadium and stand a much greater chance of getting promoted this season than we do. Oh, and they also managed to stay in the championship while we got relegated.

I like the idea of the blog. However, I think the chairman keeps crossing lines he should not cross.

Am I the only one in thinking that our chairman is a bit like Gordon Brown? He seems to like to take the credit for the good things, but if anything goes wrong it's not his fault? Am I right in saying we had no official chairman for months until just before the first LDV Final and then he became chairman just in time for the final?

I was at the shareholders meeting when RM was voted in, the timing of it was not something planned by him, there were a few fans questioning the fact that we were the only league club without a chairman and that we should address the situation as it had gone on for too long. RM then said that the reason for this is that he didnt just want to walk into the club as chairman, he wanted to spend time convincing the fans and team that he had the best interests of the club at heart and that he could do a good job. RM then put himself forward for the position and was voting in by the entire room with no objections from anyone.

::interesting that Tilson obviously wanted to cash in on Freddy rather than be stuck with him in CCC - RM basically sticking his hand up for that

::interesting how all the ineterview blah blah is just saying Foran was a wrong un and we shouldhave sussed him out - Tilsomns fault -

:: interesting graph - lots of profit in CCC season - also graph says excluding player transfers at the top .... so how would it look with those figures included ...

and RM has so obvioulsy now got the footie bug - sorry RM mate but it s probably the
most exciting disease in the universe-

Is he the perfect Chairman? Absolutely not. He wasn't a football man when he arrived here, and was involved in some terrible managerial appointments. Thankfully he seems willing to learn from mistakes, and I honestly believe that he has been touched by the effect the club can have on such a wide range of people. There just aren't that many Chairmen willing to invest the time and effort to communicate with supporters in this way. Some will dismiss it as a stunt, but then if he was less open with us they'd decry that too. As someone with all too vivid memories of the Jobson era, I'd like to register my thanks to him, anyway.

I agree with thsi, and I actually think its to our benefit that RM wasn't a football man. Certainly at the time he came in we needed a clever businessman to turn the business that is SUFC around, and he did that, albeit with some admitted mistakes along the way. An out & out football fan chairman/owner would have been far more likely to make disastrous emotionally driven decisions & we could easily have been just another Luton/Rotherham/Bournmouth.

Ron's no more perfect than anyone else but I for one feel more comfortable about our clubs stability under his ownership than I have at any other time in the 35-odd years I've been actively supporting the club.

Hate to say it, but as with last week, the 'blog's' too long and RM spends too much time explaining the obvious ie players backgound etc, which is something any junior manager worth his salt would do of course! Reads a bit like it was done in the late hours with to the accompaniment of a bottle of wine, when things seem more important than they really are..........until you re-read in the morning and hopefully you haven't 'sent' it!

The reference to Foran is interesting, especially as he calls him a 'striker', is this another little dig at Tilly, who hardly ever played him there?

Anyway, at least RM is in contact with the fans, I still dont like the way its done - a 'blog' seems to be preaching to the converted. I'd much rather a regular column in the local paper, but I suppose we have to be grateful for small mercies.

I think you are reading far too much into the 'striker' point. Strikers are often the highest paid players - thats the point he is trying to make - IMO.

Although admitedly he then effctively tells us that he was on approx £2500-3000 a week- but without actually saying it (you can't work out the exat figure as we don't know what his pay off was)

I'd still like to know why we haven't signed a permanent left midfielder since Gower left. Maybe Tilson has identified targets but Ron has refused to write the cheque because using his new 'scientific methods' he has found out that they dont stock the prospective players favourite brand of milkshake in the local newsagent, leaving him with no other option but to say 'Sorry Steve, I'd love to bring him here, but I just dont think he will settle'.

Nice 'populist' dig at Colchester to win over the fans. This is the Colchester who, incidentally, have actually built and moved into their new stadium and stand a much greater chance of getting promoted this season than we do. Oh, and they also managed to stay in the championship while we got relegated.

Absolutely correct. Any excuses we may have had for our failure to stay in the Championship all looked somewhat bogus when the Col Ewe scum managed it despite fewer fans, less money, inbred players etc etc. There is obviously a lot more to the NZamba Legend than his stellar one-liners.

Everyone seems to have ignored the part i found most interesting in the blog - the fact Ron is against a wage cap when most league 1 chairmen are in favour of it.

I agree with him about the wage cap, unless the start it at the Prem first and work down.

Plus, it could create a greater gulf between the divisions. Look at Rugby League (which has wage capping), you never get any relegation from the super league because the gap between the divs is so huge that it's not worth it.

Absolutely correct. Any excuses we may have had for our failure to stay in the Championship all looked somewhat bogus when the Col Ewe scum managed it despite fewer fans, less money, inbred players etc etc. There is obviously a lot more to the NZamba Legend than his stellar one-liners.

You've got to hand it to Ron - he's extraordinarily adept at playing to the gallery. His PR skills are second to none, they really are.

It's interesting to note that, in our promotion season, we actually managed to make a loss. It also shows that we are still living extremely hand-to-mouth, especially when you consider that the club remains saddled with pre-existing debt (i.e. the debts which the club accrued between 1996-2000, and then the subsequent debts which Ron will presumably have leveraged against the club when he bought out Delancey).

I am pleased by the general notion that Ron appears to be seeking to run the club as a business - he certainly seems to be involved in the financial decision-making on many levels. I am still rather in the dark, however, as to (a) where on earth the money is coming from to build the stadium; and - if the answer is "bank loans", then (b) what the business plan looks like by which we are going to pay those loans off, given the pitifully small profits we've been turning in recent years.

Hey ho.

Matt

hey theres not much in this

What do you want him to say?

A very interesting read, but a little worrying.

I would guess that RM has a little bit more than an unhealthy influence in team signings & in effect selections. I've heard stories in the recent past about falling outs over signings, but I guess from what has been written in this blog & elsewhere, that he has the final say over who is signed.

I know its his money, but he has employed Tilly as his manager & should back him or sack him. What does RM know about football? About the same as us who never played at that level. What does Tilly know about financing & running a club? A lot less to RM. Stick to what you're good at chaps!

:madman:

He should have a say in where and to who the money goes surely?
Yep Tilly is manager but looking at Foran it seems a mistake was made by signing him so maybe they have now learnt from that not to make rash and hasty decisions so working as a team is better than I want from both sides.
You say he knows nothing about football and should stick to what he knows, well, alot of us here dont know about management of finances or football yet we seem to think money should be spent and who it should be spent on. Maybe we would be best doing what we do best and thats supporting.......:unsure:

Back