• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron has turned us into a circus, Both Ron & Sainsburys are in too far to pull out, the stadium must go ahead, there is no turning back as such.

What angers me most is the way Southend are now viewed in the football industry because of the way Ron has acted with, Players, managers & press etc, other players now view us as a joke, news travels fast & players talk, Ron has made Southend the last place pro players want to come, if we are competing against other clubs for a signature we can forget it...this comes from a pro & ex blue, his point of view opened my eyes a bit more to Ronald McDonald!!
.....spot on....enough is enough, as long as Ron Martin is involved count on 4 less season tickets!

that may be the case but only in your opinion, (im sure others wiil agree) look at it from his side, he needs to do a good job here to get another/better job higher up the leagues were he wants to be. so is this his last chance to prove a point????

Exactly. He needs us more than we need him.

The attitude on here sometimes seems to be that we're lucky to have Phil Brown or that he's going to be expensive. He was unemployed for a long while, has failed in his last few jobs and was turned down by a number of clubs. He needs us much more than we need him.

Spot on. High-profile does not necessarily mean expensive, and certainly doesn't mean he's any good.

Let's just play devil's advocate for a second. I am high up there in the anti-Ron stakes. However he has stated good news on ground imminent, agreed to appoint Penney, there are discussions around Bailey. Let's just imagine for a sec that ducks are lining up nicely. Unbelievable on track record but enough to string me along for a few more days. Any more news on non-payment of anything and we're back to square one but I could be eating some humble pie in the next few days.

Let's just play devil's advocate for a second. I am high up there in the anti-Ron stakes. However he has stated good news on ground imminent, agreed to appoint Penney, there are discussions around Bailey. Let's just imagine for a sec that ducks are lining up nicely. Unbelievable on track record but enough to string me along for a few more days. Any more news on non-payment of anything and we're back to square one but I could be eating some humble pie in the next few days.

Agree with this except for the last bit. There is likely to be further late payment of wages for however long we remain at Roots Hall. As said by Ron himself.

Love to think things will turn round but all these little good news stories at the same time wages arent paid screams out smokescreen to my cynical eyes.

Still if there is real good news about the ground in next few days and we do sign Bailey then Ill be pleasantly surprised (and flabbergasted!)

Some things will happen that will be good and some things will happen that will disappoint. That is lg 2 football for the majority of clubs. As for The Blues being the laughing stock of football I doubt that. The club will have its detractors because of the ongoing issues and some ex-players may have less than charitable words for the club/management/ownership. So what.:zzzzz:

There are players and staff from very high profile clubs that will have less than good words for their employer/ex-employer.

Indeed, over the years of watching Southend United and particularly over recent years there are many, many players that should be castigated by the club for numerous substandard, unacceptable performances and in my view a good deal of them were not deserving of their wages, let alone worrying whether they should be paid on time.

Dissatisfaction is a two way street but at the moment only the club seems to get the worst vitriol. UTB

Ron has turned us into a circus, Both Ron & Sainsburys are in too far to pull out, the stadium must go ahead, there is no turning back as such.

Why are Sainsbury's in too deep? They made a profit of £788 mill in 2012-13. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut their losses before long.

Why are Sainsbury's in too deep? They made a profit of £788 mill in 2012-13. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut their losses before long.

Don't you think it would look better in the accounts ( more pleasing to the eye if you like ) for Sainsbury's to round that down to £780 million.
Thye could do that easily by donating £8 million to us as agift.
Everybody wins !

Don't you think it would look better in the accounts ( more pleasing to the eye if you like ) for Sainsbury's to round that down to £780 million.
Thye could do that easily by donating £8 million to us as agift.
Everybody wins !

For a cool £100M we could become Sainsbury's FC. Champions League games with a nice selection of cheeses for the opposition fans.

Why cut losses when the new supermarket will recover the losses. Either make a loss now or wait and make the money back.

Maybe I am over simplifying things, but I have always thought that as long as the covenant on the ground is enforceable (and I have no idea if it is ) then the new stadium plans WILL go through

My logic is very very simple . Sainsbbury have too much to loose. We have heard in the past that Sainsbury's expect the store to be their most profitable in the country. Sainsburys do not list a breakdown in their accounts of profit per store, but they do list total square feet and total profit.

Sainsburys' have just published their annual accounts

Profit AFTER tax £614 million
total square feet sales space 21,625,000
Therefore Profit per square foot £28.39 (614,000,000/21,625,000)

Roots hall; supermarket 113,000 square feet
Roots hall potential profit 113,000*28.39= £3.2 MILLION A YEAR AFTER TAX, year after year after year

Admittedly this is a very rough calculation and I am sure that others with more knowledge can explain why the actual figure would be worse/better.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/loca...ots_Hall_site/
http://www.j-sainsbury.co.uk/investo...atements-2013/

so why 'cut your losses' on something that you believe is going to make you a huge amount of profit? That you ahve invested a great deal of time and money in and is now 'relatively speaking' just around the corner. The only way they will not go ahead is if they feel there is no longer a business opportunity

Maybe I am over simplifying things, but I have always thought that as long as the covenant on the ground is enforceable (and I have no idea if it is ) then the new stadium plans WILL go through

My logic is very very simple . Sainsbbury have too much to loose. We have heard in the past that Sainsbury's expect the store to be their most profitable in the country. Sainsburys do not list a breakdown in their accounts of profit per store, but they do list total square feet and total profit.

Sainsburys' have just published their annual accounts

Profit AFTER tax £614 million
total square feet sales space 21,625,000
Therefore Profit per square foot £28.39 (614,000,000/21,625,000)

Roots hall; supermarket 113,000 square feet
Roots hall potential profit 113,000*28.39= £3.2 MILLION A YEAR AFTER TAX, year after year after year

Admittedly this is a very rough calculation and I am sure that others with more knowledge can explain why the actual figure would be worse/better.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/loca...ots_Hall_site/
http://www.j-sainsbury.co.uk/investo...atements-2013/

Careful, Ron might see that and turn the 4th stand into his own supermarket called Ronland, ther poor mans version of Poundland

What angers me most is the way Southend are now viewed in the football industry because of the way Ron has acted with, Players, managers & press etc, other players now view us as a joke, news travels fast & players talk, Ron has made Southend the last place pro players want to come, if we are competing against other clubs for a signature we can forget it...this comes from a pro & ex blue, his point of view opened my eyes a bit more to Ronald McDonald!!

I am sure we are viewed with great suspicion. certainly.
However, it has been like that for thirty years!

Sadly, we are mismanaged at times and the town as a whole, rarely supports the club.

I think we may be viewed with suspicion for a while yet!

I am sure we are viewed with great suspicion. certainly.
However, it has been like that for thirty years!

Sadly, we are mismanaged at times and the town as a whole, rarely supports the club.

I think we may be viewed with suspicion for a while yet!

Ah Kev my old mukker I trust my advice to you last weekend has worked???

Im sure Sainsburys made their £780 million by giving away money to dodgy property devolpers with ideas above their station, Sainsbury writing off their money is madness, they will want a return whether that be 1 year or 10 years

Back