• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BluesMike61

Youth Team
I was pleasantly surprised to hear that Dave Penney has signed as Assistant Manager and that we have kept Graham Coughlan in a newly created post, First Team Coach. At a time when we were again late in paying our tax bill and some players, this appointment was , for me, quite a shock. In Brown and Penney we must have the highest profile (and the most expensive) Management Team in League 2. When you hear that we are also looking to re-sign Nicky Bailey, who would not come cheap (despite it being a ''dream move'' for Nicky), you have to wonder what the hell is going on behind the scenes. Could it be that RM has stashed away the Wembley money to invest in a team and Management structure that would throw everything at getting promotion out of this dreadful league? Also, with the FF approval being '' only days away'' could it be that we will get another chunk of money from Sainsbury's? Could this be Ron's Masterplan? One thing is for sure, I cannot accuse RM of lacking ambition. Or is he being foolhardy? UTB.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that Dave Penney has signed as Assistant Manager and that we have kept Graham Coughlan in a newly created post, First Team Coach. At a time when we were again late in paying our tax bill and some players, this appointment was , for me, quite a shock. In Brown and Penney we must have the highest profile (and the most expensive) Management Team in League 2. When you hear that we are also looking to re-sign Nicky Bailey, who would not come cheap (despite it being a ''dream move'' for Nicky), you have to wonder what the hell is going on behind the scenes. Could it be that RM has stashed away the Wembley money to invest in a team and Management structure that would throw everything at getting promotion out of this dreadful league? Also, with the FF approval being '' only days away'' could it be that we will get another chunk of money from Sainsbury's? Could this be Ron's Masterplan? One thing is for sure, I cannot accuse RM of lacking ambition. Or is he being foolhardy? UTB.

This bit......

THE WAR CHEST HAS BEEN FOUND!!! :happy:

On a serious note, I do wonder how much Brown and Penney are on. Brown has been out of work for a year and a half and Penney has been out of work for 2 year. Both haven't done much in their last managerial stints. Brown has been turned down more times that we have made late payments to players, and Penney was turned down for the Grimbsy job last season. I would be very surprised if they were the "top earners" in league 2.

Either RM has spun PB a yarn or there will be money coming soon. Possibly once the appeal period on the last Planning application has passed.

Either RM has spun PB a yarn or there will be money coming soon. Possibly once the appeal period on the last Planning application has passed.

Not ruling out this masterplan but if this was on the cards why wasn't a little more offered to Luke Prosser? After the player has rejected the terms currently offered as we know.

I think it is a bit of both Gary,, RM has to keep appeasing Brown with all the common knowledge of Umbongo's etc out there and at the same time is hoping he can keep his promises to him by way of a windfall of cash coming in once the 10th of July has passed. As for Brown he will just sit tight for now and make the right noises as he has been paid 6 months money up front and is hardly likely to walk away and want to give wages back.

I think it is a bit of both Gary,, RM has to keep appeasing Brown with all the common knowledge of Umbongo's etc out there and at the same time is hoping he can keep his promises to him by way of a windfall of cash coming in once the 10th of July has passed. As for Brown he will just sit tight for now and make the right noises as he has been paid 6 months money up front and is hardly likely to walk away and want to give wages back.

John how confident are you the 10th of next month will pass free of any appeal(s)?

Ron has turned us into a circus, Both Ron & Sainsburys are in too far to pull out, the stadium must go ahead, there is no turning back as such.

What angers me most is the way Southend are now viewed in the football industry because of the way Ron has acted with, Players, managers & press etc, other players now view us as a joke, news travels fast & players talk, Ron has made Southend the last place pro players want to come, if we are competing against other clubs for a signature we can forget it...this comes from a pro & ex blue, his point of view opened my eyes a bit more to Ronald McDonald!!

John how confident are you the 10th of next month will pass free of any appeal(s)?

I think it will go through, all has been quite from the guys in the high street,so unless we don't hear anything until the day it will go through.I have heard of no legal appeals...Mind you judging how bias the selfservatives who rule our council are and only think of money coming in whilst they squander it at every opportunity, any appeal would probabaly fall on deaf ears anyway.

Brown probably earns a fair bit from his media work so doesnt need to be on a particularly high salary with us. Penney was working at Doncaster's academy so probably wouldve had to be enticed by a decent salary. The scout as well Bob Shaw is well regarded so probably hasnt come cheap either. Seems we are putting more resources into staff than players.

What angers me most is the way Southend are now viewed in the football industry because of the way Ron has acted with, Players, managers & press etc, other players now view us as a joke, news travels fast & players talk, Ron has made Southend the last place pro players want to come, if we are competing against other clubs for a signature we can forget it...this comes from a pro & ex blue, his point of view opened my eyes a bit more to Ronald McDonald!!

I so agree with this comment - and I heard it direct from the Boardroom

Brown probably earns a fair bit from his media work so doesnt need to be on a particularly high salary with us. Penney was working at Doncaster's academy so probably wouldve had to be enticed by a decent salary. The scout as well Bob Shaw is well regarded so probably hasnt come cheap either. Seems we are putting more resources into staff than players.

A chief scout for a top 4 prem team could be on £100k a year, so my guess is Penney won't be on more than a tenth of that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/aug/08/football-scout-walsall-fc

Don't worry folks.....I think people are now laughing at Newcastle United more than us. Unless Ron has another master-plan to put us way up there in the comedy stakes?

Don't worry folks.....I think people are now laughing at Newcastle United more than us. Unless Ron has another master-plan to put us way up there in the comedy stakes?

Dave Webb back again?

Not ruling out this masterplan but if this was on the cards why wasn't a little more offered to Luke Prosser? After the player has rejected the terms currently offered as we know.

Perhaps because we offered Luke what we/PB thought he was worth and he decided to look elsewhere? We don't have to meet a player's contract expectations, we simply let them go and bring in a replacement who will work for what we're willing to pay.

In any case, we don't yet know what'll happen with Luke. There's always a bit of posturing on both sides when contracts are being negotiated; that's why they call it negotiation. We might yet increase our offer slightly and/or Luke might decide that this is the best offer on the table.

Ron has turned us into a circus, Both Ron & Sainsburys are in too far to pull out, the stadium must go ahead, there is no turning back as such.

To be fair though, this feeling has been around for a few seasons but it hasn't stopped us signing players of a decent calibre. All you hear them say is that they have spoken to so-and-so and hear what a great place it is, which helped persuade them to sign.

I think the perception is worse than the reality.

A chief scout for a top 4 prem team could be on £100k a year, so my guess is Penney won't be on more than a tenth of that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/aug/08/football-scout-walsall-fc

Penney isnt chief scout here though.

To be fair though, this feeling has been around for a few seasons but it hasn't stopped us signing players of a decent calibre. All you hear them say is that they have spoken to so-and-so and hear what a great place it is, which helped persuade them to sign.

I think the perception is worse than the reality.

Indeed. Our record for paying players isnt great and will be taken into consideration, but we are still a Football League club and there are a lot of players without clubs. They would rather play for a club that pays late now and again than not play at all.

i agree with your point, but would like to add a few points (beggars cant be choosers)
their are a lot of players capable of playing pro football at league 2 level. they will want a opportunity to put themselves in the shop window, as to speck, will be cheap wages, and will want to play, regardless of the color of the shirt, not everyone can play for the premiership teams, can they but they all wanna play football, unless your like a superhero, you have to start at the bottom and prove yourself.

lets hope we can find a few gems.

The attitude on here sometimes seems to be that we're lucky to have Phil Brown or that he's going to be expensive. He was unemployed for a long while, has failed in his last few jobs and was turned down by a number of clubs. He needs us much more than we need him.

that may be the case but only in your opinion, (im sure others wiil agree) look at it from his side, he needs to do a good job here to get another/better job higher up the leagues were he wants to be. so is this his last chance to prove a point????

Back