• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rooney v Charlton

Interestingly Geoff Hurst only scored 6, with three obviously coming in one match.

I guess it is worth noting that the euros were a curious tournament until 1980. Prior to then, only four teams qualified for the finals, so there was far less opportunity for players of Hurst's era to score on that stage.

I bet many England fans don't even know we were semi-finalists in Euro 1968!

argh I came on here to post exactly that.

There are only 43 players IN HISTORY who have scored more international goals than Rooney.

And double argh, as was going to post this when my first post was taken.

Teams like Albania and USA are way better now than they were when Charlton was strolling through games in the 1960s.

Just look at the 1966 World Cup where his goals came against a team who'd never even qualified for a world cup before and a side whose world cup record was PL 14 W 1 D 2 L 11 F10 A 38. For those who complain that Rooney goes missing in big games, where was Charlton in the final, where he was marked out of it; where was he in the quarter-finals when England needed a late Hurst goal to sneak past 10 men? It's easy to knock players down and underplay their achievements. If scoring that many international goals was so easy, why have so few done it?

I guess it is worth noting that the euros were a curious tournament until 1980. Prior to then, only four teams qualified for the finals, so there was far less opportunity for players of Hurst's era to score on that stage.

I bet many England fans don't even know we were semi-finalists in Euro 1968!

I thought 8 teams (2 groups of 4) qualified? I also seem to remember hearing somewhere that we didn't qualify for a very long time.

Tough question. Charlton played in an amazing England team....world cup winners in fact. Bur Charlton was essentially a midfielder. Also I will always maintain that Charlton makes any all time world 11....easily. He was that good. Rooney would not make world 11s, has not played in the best team in the world yet has been a fantastic goal scorer for England. If I had to answer I would say Charlton. ..but we'll done Rooney for an amazing feat...England's record scorer.....mmmmm moist

I'd go along with that, whilst Rooney is just very, very good. I reckon he'll be more recognised for his achievements once he retires.

Also worth mentioning Jimmy Greaves. Only 5 goals behind, but he scored his 44 in just 57 appearances. That's .77 goals per game compared to Charlton and Rooney's .46.

I thought 8 teams (2 groups of 4) qualified? I also seem to remember hearing somewhere that we didn't qualify for a very long time.

Didn't enter in 1960, didn't qualify in 64, 72, 76, 84 or 2008.

Here's a link to the story of Euro '60, with links to subsequent comps available from the same page. Two groups of four didn't come in until 1980 and even then, it was group winners straight to the final, none of this semi-final nonsense!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_European_Nations'_Cup

The majority of people in England (including me) don't like Rooney (acts like a spoilt brat)
The majority of people in England (including me) like and respect Bobby (he is a true gent)

But if and when Rooney breaks the goal scoring record and sets a new one we have to give him respect for that

The majority of people in England (including me) don't like Rooney (acts like a spoilt brat)
The majority of people in England (including me) like and respect Bobby (he is a true gent)

But if and when Rooney breaks the goal scoring record and sets a new one we have to give him respect for that

Bobby Charlton hasn't spoken to his brother for decades.

I'm fairly clear on who is the spoilt brat.

Got to admit I did not know this.

Typical Family argument my wife hasn't spoken to her brother for years (all to do with money, he is a sado)

Got to admit I did not know this.

Typical Family argument my wife hasn't spoken to her brother for years (all to do with money, he is a sado)

To be fair, I've no idea if Bobby Charlton is a spoilt brat or not, but I wouldn't hold him up as a true gent. Both him and Jackie have dragged their 'feud' through interviews and autobiographies for years.

I don't get what Rooney is a brat. He negotiated his contract and salary. That just makes him a regular guy. It just happened to end up being played out quite publicly. Otherwise he seems relatively quiet and humble, a content family man who hasn't forgotten his background and is mature enough to be captain for club and country.

Out of interest, what has Rooney done that makes you think he acts like a spoilt brat?

In fairness, a friend of ours doesn't speak to her mother and sister, but that doesn't mean she's a spoilt brat. Far from it.

I think regardless of who was the better player, you cannot take Rooney's achievement away from him. He's been a true servant and great captain to the England side and works his nuts off in every game he plays.

Good on you, Wayne.

Well done Rooney. Fantastic achievement

vG4rafL.png

Back