• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rooney v Charlton

San Marino, Gibraltar and Andorra would IMO struggle at Ryman league level. The likes of Faroe Islands, Liechtenstein (to an extent), Malta etc seem to have improved in recent years and would be nice if the others, especially Gibraltar, could do the same. Watching an England team put in boring performances yet still hammer San Marino is un-enjoyable and dull to watch.

I said on here way back,the minnows should have their own pre qualifying group !

Watching SM get everyone behind the ball is simply conning the paying public.

Yeah they should, might be a struggle for them though having to take extra time off from their day jobs though. Could run out of annual leave.

After taking Charlton's record for most England goals, today he took his Man Utd record also, scoring his 250th goal for the club.

Can't get excited about this, don't like him and he's not the player Charlton was. Think it's a shame really, that both records have gone.

Just a phenomenal talent in his pomp, and one of the most devastating forwards I can remember watching for England. His breakthrough tournament was about as excited I've been watching the international side, and his club record speaks for itself. Any attempt to discredit what he's achieved is utter revisionist nonsense.

It was hugely telling of the player Rooney is and has been in the 13/14 years he's played at the top that, after scoring yesterday - a belting free kick to equalise in the 94th minute AND break Charlton's record - he's pointing at his teammates to grab the ball to try and get the winner. That's the difference between breaking records and winning trophies, and being merely 'good'.

If an Arsenal player had achieved that there'd have been a ****ing fireworks display before the whistle had gone.

An amazing achievement by a truly special player! Well Done Wayne, nice to no one of those 250 wasn't against us. :winking:

Whether you like him or not ,he has been a true servant of the England team ,the English game and Man Utd, I applaud you Mr Rooney and say thanks .Im also very happy that you failed to score against Southend Utd on that special night for my club .:happy:

Just a phenomenal talent in his pomp, and one of the most devastating forwards I can remember watching for England. His breakthrough tournament was about as excited I've been watching the international side, and his club record speaks for itself. Any attempt to discredit what he's achieved is utter revisionist nonsense.

It was hugely telling of the player Rooney is and has been in the 13/14 years he's played at the top that, after scoring yesterday - a belting free kick to equalise in the 94th minute AND break Charlton's record - he's pointing at his teammates to grab the ball to try and get the winner. That's the difference between breaking records and winning trophies, and being merely 'good'.

If an Arsenal player had achieved that there'd have been a ****ing fireworks display before the whistle had gone.

You clearly never saw Bobby Charlton play.

I think it is always good to remember how long these records stood for, it's taken a long time for Charlton's records to be broken and that shows just what a special player he was. Will be sad to see Jimmy Greaves' top European league goalscorer record go when Ronaldo inevitably beats it this season (think he is only 9 goals away). Greaves certainly doesn't get the credit he deserves for that one, an Englishman who's scoring exploits were up there with Ronaldo and Messi.

What has Charlton's abilities as a footballer got to do with people dismissing Rooney's achievements? They're not mutually exclusive.

Charlton previously held the goalscoring record.

I would never "dismiss" Rooney's "achievments." However,as someone who has seen both players,there's no question in my mind that BC was the better player.

Charlton previously held the goalscoring record.

I would never "dismiss" Rooney's "achievments." However,as someone who has seen both players,there's no question in my mind that BC was the better player.

I don't think anybody's comparing Rooney and Charlton as players.

I think it is always good to remember how long these records stood for, it's taken a long time for Charlton's records to be broken and that shows just what a special player he was. Will be sad to see Jimmy Greaves' top European league goalscorer record go when Ronaldo inevitably beats it this season (think he is only 9 goals away). Greaves certainly doesn't get the credit he deserves for that one, an Englishman who's scoring exploits were up there with Ronaldo and Messi.

Spot on with that post.

Ronaldo is currently 7 goals behind Greavesy.

Whenever I have one of the pointless "World XI to play Mars" conversations, I always put Greaves in. You're right, a fantastic player who gave us a lot of publicity - all be it because his son was here as player/coach a while back.

Whenever I have one of the pointless "World XI to play Mars" conversations, I always put Greaves in. You're right, a fantastic player who gave us a lot of publicity - all be it because his son was here as player/coach a while back.

My dad's mate Phil Beal played with JG...he insists the greatest forward of all time !

Back