• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rooney

Should Rooney play against Uruguay

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wouldn't put too much credence into the outcome of friendly games, Italy drew with Luxembourg, Germany with Cameroon and both came out on top against decent opposition in competitive fixtures using the same formations. The friendlies you are basing your all-change policy on were for acclimitisation and to intrgate some of the new less experienced players into the team, to try different formations and learn how players fair against different types of opposition.

All you ever seem to shout for on here is change. change the strikers, change the players, change the formation; change for change sake is damaging. How would any player, team or manager progress under your guidance. The constant chopping and changing would never allow any cohesion or growth in any team. The knee jerk philosophy of if it doesn't immediately reap results then change change change is what makes the managerial merry-go-round of the Premiership so laughable.

The team is improving, they are playing good football, and only narrowly lost to one of the strongest sides in the tournament; despite fielding a lot of fledgling internationals. A result that most unbiased critics felt should of ended in a draw. A result that bar the usual tired boring pub bore comments of 'England are ****, we always lose' and 'Rooney's rubbish ' had us leaving the game with more plaudits than critics. We only need to make a few tweaks to iron out the few flaws that were evident in the Italy game to improve the side enough to overcome a lacklustre Uruguay. Why you would want to scrap all that work, change all the personal, the formation and playing ethic, in the middle of a tournament from something that is working and improving the squad is beyond me. It's suicide.

Using a very narrow loss to Germany, one of the most impressive national sides of the last 4 years, a loss to Chile, one of the most impressive sides in this years World Cup, and an unfortunate narrow defeat to Italy, a side that consistantly performs at tournament level to justify your all-change policy doesn't work either. The World Champions just lost 2-0 to Chile, Portugal, a team that have just edged us twice in recent tournaments were spanked by Germany.

Change for change sake doesn't work.

Looking at your formation of 4-4-2, there's only one team that have employed it thus far, and that was Uruguay. They lacked energy, movement, link up play between midfield and forwards, were static and therefore overun from Costa Rica's fluid wing play. I just don't get your solution of removing a formation and tactics that are improving us and taking us back a decade to play a formation the players aren't familiar with players they aren't used to playing with, in the middle of a tournament?

Yeah you were right!

They are improving and playing really good football!

Back to the subject of this thread, I thought Rooney was England's best player last night, so worthy of his selection.

Yeah you were right!

They are improving and playing really good football!

I agree. We dominated the number four team in the world. We retained possession excellently, and harried Uruguay in losing the ball well. That's an excellent endorsement of the midfield. We saw an improved Rooney played in his natural position, and Sturridge looked liked he belonged on this stage. Baines was able to get forward a lot more and showed a greater attacking prowess. We were unlucky in a few chances, Rooney hitting the bar, and the keeping getting down well to block Rooney again. Barkley looked natural at this level, and his progression seems to be coming along well, so praise should be due there too. Unfortunately, Gerrard (the form midfielder in the Premier league for the entire season) made two mistakes that were punished by one of the best players in the World, the one thing as a manager you can't account for is individual mistakes or moments of brilliance.

But you go ahead and revel in our defeat. After all, all we need is an unscrupulous rotten media whore manager like Redknapp and and an outdated 4-4-2 formation that died with short shorts to get the best out of a young and hungry striker, whoever that may be, and we'll be onto a winner.

I agree. We dominated the number four team in the world. We retained possession excellently, and harried Uruguay in losing the ball well. That's an excellent endorsement of the midfield. We saw an improved Rooney played in his natural position, and Sturridge looked liked he belonged on this stage. Baines was able to get forward a lot more and showed a greater attacking prowess. We were unlucky in a few chances, Rooney hitting the bar, and the keeping getting down well to block Rooney again. Barkley looked natural at this level, and his progression seems to be coming along well, so praise should be due there too. Unfortunately, Gerrard (the form midfielder in the Premier league for the entire season) made two mistakes that were punished by one of the best players in the World, the one thing as a manager you can't account for is individual mistakes or moments of brilliance.

But you go ahead and revel in our defeat. After all, all we need is an unscrupulous rotten media whore manager like Redknapp and and an outdated 4-4-2 formation that died with short shorts to get the best out of a young and hungry striker, whoever that may be, and we'll be onto a winner.

You can spout all day long yet the facts are we are out barring miracles whilst playing your favoured formation with your favourite player as captain and we have lost 4 from 8 failing to score against mighty Honduras!,Your brilliant Roy has made history for the wrong reasons becoming the first England manager to lose the opening 2 games against an ageing Italian team and beaten last night by an half fit player,Yeah your idea of progress is good very good.

Back to the subject of this thread, I thought Rooney was England's best player last night, so worthy of his selection.
I thought it was Leighton Baines.

The problem we have is we don't actually have a word class forward. Suarez 2 shots 2 goals, Balotelli 1 chance 1 goal. Rooney 3 chances last night 1 goal.

You can spout all day long yet the facts are we are out barring miracles whilst playing your favoured formation with your favourite player as captain and we have lost 4 from 8 failing to score against mighty Honduras!,Your brilliant Roy has made history for the wrong reasons becoming the first England manager to lose the opening 2 games against an ageing Italian team and beaten last night by an half fit player,Yeah your idea of progress is good very good.

I'm pretty sure Kevin Maher doesn't qualify to play for England, let alone captain them. I feel Gerrard is the best option for midfield, bar Jonjo Shelvey you have never even come close to suggesting a decent alternative to him, and now you're resorting to trying to belittle my argument with petty favourite player comments, because you still have nothing but get rid of Gerrard to say for yourself.

Using friendlies to justify your anti-Roy campaign just highlights how weak your argument is.

Both teams are in the top ten rankings in the world, if narrowly losing games we have been competitive in against two of the top tens national sides in the world is a shambles, then you need to have a look at your expectations dear.

I'm pretty sure Kevin Maher doesn't qualify to play for England, let alone captain them. I feel Gerrard is the best option for midfield, bar Jonjo Shelvey you have never even come close to suggesting a decent alternative to him, and now you're resorting to trying to belittle my argument with petty favourite player comments, because you still have nothing but get rid of Gerrard to say for yourself.

Using friendlies to justify your anti-Roy campaign just highlights how weak your argument is.

Both teams are in the top ten rankings in the world, if narrowly losing games we have been competitive in against two of the top tens national sides in the world is a shambles, then you need to have a look at your expectations dear.

Been listening to ex players and football writers who all do not share your view.

The problem we have is we don't actually have a word class forward. Suarez 2 shots 2 goals, Balotelli 1 chance 1 goal. Rooney 3 chances last night 1 goal.

Nope, it was definitely Rooney. I would have noticed the difference cos Rooney is a bit heavier.

Thats it in a nutshell.

We had more possession, created more chances and scored less goals.

Thats solely because Suarez took his chances and ours didnt.

Back