• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rooney

Should Rooney play against Uruguay

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

steveo

mine to stay the same please
In or out for the next game?

The BBC guys had a brief debate about it, which if you didn't see it went something like Rio saying we should play him in his best position, Shearer saying that would be where Sturridge played and he scored, so Ferdinand says play him in the No 10 role, countered by that was where Sterling played and was our best player.

Think its time form became more important than reputation. Leave him out Roy.

On his day he is still one of the best, and he got the assist for us last night. I'd stick with him I think, but be prepared to replace sooner on the day rather than later.

Rooney cannot play wide left,Roy has to play him in his club position or bench him!

Rooney cannot play wide left,Roy has to play him in his club position or bench him!

And leave out Sturridge? He did get what looked like a deadleg so maybe the decision will be made for Roy if that injury doesn't heal quickly.

This is quite a dilemma for Roy. He provided a perfect pass for Sturridge to score, yet he did look off the pace and out of place although I could have lived with that if he had taken his chance in the second half. That said, you have to give the man credit for doing a job for the team even if he was not comfortable with it. On reflection I would start him against Uruguay but sub him if it clearly was not working.

Rooney ( and Baines ) we're left exposed by Gerrard and Henderson.
It was clear from the start that all of Italy's threat came down that flank.
Neither of the two defensive midfielders reacted to that.
i thought the idea was to cut off the supply to and from Pirlo.
That just didn't happen

I could have lived with that if he had taken his chance in the second half.
But as Shearer said, Balotelli had one chance and scored, Rooney had one and missed. You can't miss at this level.

No, drop him. Show that he's not undroppable rather than waiting for him to "play his way" into tournaments like we normally do. He did some good things last night, the cross for the goal was perfect, but he also did some bad things and he didn't give Baines much help on that side. He almost tries too hard sometimes. Lallana did quite well when he came on so I'd be tempted to play him instead. I don't think Hodgson would drop him though. If he is going to play him then play him in the number 10 role as he's played there for United and Sterling looked best when he was out on the wings last night.

At international level you can't play with square pegs in round holes. If he's gonna play it should be in his natural position up front. Unfortunately he is not our best option up there at the moment. Leave him on the bench.

I think it is a Roy/Rooney problem. At one italian attack, Rooney was the last defender! You would not see any other prominent striker playing full back.
Either play him in his position - or don't play him.
I would play him if fully fit.

Rooney can't even take a corner without ****ing it up. He needs a rest

He ****s up one corner, and all of a sudden he can't take a corner full stop. Jeez, it's this sort of lazy sensationalist hyoperbole (rubbishing a player based on one kick in 95 minutes of football) that really ****es me off about England fans (in the loosest term). Why is it as fans we are never happy unless we have a scapegoat.

Rooney is our most talented player, unless you play him out of position, which is what happened Saturday night. But rather than see that Rooney was playing out of position, people (I'm not calling them fans anymore) see it as an opportunity to snipe at him. And yet out of position he still had a more positive impact on the team than any other midfielder employed to create chances did, that the same fans are prasing to the high heavens.

We are the only nation that doesn't build around our best player. You wouldn't see Italy playing Balotelli out of position to accomodate Immobile on the back of one good season, because they know what the player is capable of, what he brings to the team, and the lift he gives the players around him with the confidence they get from playing with him; and the fans get behind him too. We shoot our players down before they've kicked a ball, and revell in every mistake they make. Then bemoan the whole squad because they didn't perform, despite bitching about them the whole time. It's counter productive, depressing and quite frankly pathetic.

Why is there not a thread on the Midfield pairing's inability to pick up players on the edge of the box, especially during set pieces, as this was far more costly. Or why Henderson didn't move out to support Baines, who was constantly outnumbered two to one, a job the much maligned Milner (another easy target for the lazy critic) would of performed excellently, and would of allowed Baines to actually utilise the attacking element of his game, which also would of provided Rooney some support, giving hime more of an opportunity to impact the game. Both of these actions ultimately cost us the goals which cost us the game. But it's far too easy and fashionable to lazily attack Rooney.

This is rant directed England fans as a whole, rather than just yourself, but it was your original comment that frustrated me into the rant.

He ****s up one corner, and all of a sudden he can't take a corner full stop. Jeez, it's this sort of lazy sensationalist hyoperbole (rubbishing a player based on one kick in 95 minutes of football) that really ****es me off about England fans (in the loosest term). Why is it as fans we are never happy unless we have a scapegoat.

Rooney is our most talented player, unless you play him out of position, which is what happened Saturday night. But rather than see that Rooney was playing out of position, people (I'm not calling them fans anymore) see it as an opportunity to snipe at him. And yet out of position he still had a more positive impact on the team than any other midfielder employed to create chances did, that the same fans are prasing to the high heavens.

We are the only nation that doesn't build around our best player. You wouldn't see Italy playing Balotelli out of position to accomodate Immobile on the back of one good season, because they know what the player is capable of, what he brings to the team, and the lift he gives the players around him with the confidence they get from playing with him; and the fans get behind him too. We shoot our players down before they've kicked a ball, and revell in every mistake they make. Then bemoan the whole squad because they didn't perform, despite bitching about them the whole time. It's counter productive, depressing and quite frankly pathetic.

Why is there not a thread on the Midfield pairing's inability to pick up players on the edge of the box, especially during set pieces, as this was far more costly. Or why Henderson didn't move out to support Baines, who was constantly outnumbered two to one, a job the much maligned Milner (another easy target for the lazy critic) would of performed excellently, and would of allowed Baines to actually utilise the attacking element of his game, which also would of provided Rooney some support, giving hime more of an opportunity to impact the game. Both of these actions ultimately cost us the goals which cost us the game. But it's far too easy and fashionable to lazily attack Rooney.

This is rant directed England fans as a whole, rather than just yourself, but it was your original comment that frustrated me into the rant.

I also thought he put in a great cross for the goal. He just seems a bit tried and un-interested at times. A true quality player can adapt, look at Holland 74 and the total football. I'm glad what I posted provoked a well thought out response though, means there are more talking points about Rooney.

Rooney is our most talented player, unless you play him out of position, which is what happened Saturday night...

Close enough. Certainly one of our most talented and certainly compromised by our current methods.

He just seems a bit tried and un-interested at times.

The danger of 'perception' being confused with reality. A player who just about gives everything he has for the cause, the problem against Italy wasn't his 'seeming lack of interest', more the fact that he so often found himself back in England's half defending when he should have been putting pressure on the opposition in a different way. How anyone could question a patriotic man's interest in his country's opening game of the World Cup is beyond me - just doesn't seem even remotely likely - or evident - just convenient.

For me: play him in his correct position or use a different option more suited to the task required.

I remember Freddy mk I getting criticised for looking 'tired' and 'uninterested' - it's this perception which needs to be compared to the fact that strikers often look to be efficient with their effort and movement so they can be (even more) effective in the last moments of the game. Remember how many last minute goals Freddy seemed to get? Rooney is the same - he's not naturally a stamina based player (and he plays through 10 years of abuse that his body has taken) but he's developed excellent stamina after starting out as an explosive and hard working youngster. Now he has to be a little more selective, and I'm sure Roy understands that.

The fact that Sterling went down with cramp shows that up even more. We fizzed out in the last 20 mins because several players were knackered and we didn't have the subs to cover that, after Roy looked to make tactical changes (Welbeck -> Barkley, Henderson -> Wilshere). With the benefit of hindsight he should have kept Welbeck or Henderson on so that he could have subbed Sterling.

Back