• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Roots Hall in the movies

Shrimpacus

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I've just seen a film that features Roots Hall in the seventies.
It's called Bloody Kids and was released on DVD a few months ago probably because it's directed by Stephen Frears who made The Queen

It's set entirely in Southend and has a 5-10 minute segment outside Roots Hall. It was filmed as a match was going on and you can see fans streaming out at the end (I was looking out for myself as seven year old). I can't identify what match it was but the film was made in 1979.

The film has also got Rossi's, Victoria Circus, the High Street, Southend Hospital and Old Leigh in it.

Here's a link: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0078881/

It was supposed to have Richard Beckinsale in it but he died a few days after get ****ed in Old Leigh apparently

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I've just seen a film that features Roots Hall in the seventies.
It's called Bloody Kids and was released on DVD a few months ago probably because it's directed by Stephen Frears who made The Queen

It's set entirely in Southend and has a 5-10 minute segment outside Roots Hall. It was filmed as a match was going on and you can see fans streaming out at the end (I was looking out for myself as seven year old). I can't identify what match it was but the film was made in 1979.

The film has also got Rossi's, Victoria Circus, the High Street, Southend Hospital and Old Leigh in it.

It was supposed to have Richard Beckinsale in it but he died a few days after get ****ed in Old Leigh apparently

If the other team is wearing all yello it was a 0-0 woth Bury, Neville Southall in goal for them and the now chairman ofthe PFA (can't remember his name?-Graham Taylor) on pitch. Very defensive tactics from them,I was in the North Bank.Others on here have more details, check the database website.

Gordon Taylor?
Game isn't shown but it's still light at full-time
75p to get in as well

was on BBC four a few months ago. Very bizzare watching it as the area looks so different. Also if you know the are well then its confusing when you see them run down a road and into another road which you know is miles away, but for the viewers who have never been to southend wouldnt have a clue.

Thought it was a good film, yet odd

I have the film on dvd and it can be yours for as little as £3.97 - see the link below...

It's great to see how Southend was and a surprise to see Roots Hall.
Other landmarks are victoria circus,high street and the sea front including Rossi's.

I actually enjoyed the film but seeing Southend as it was is an added bonus

www.amazon.co.uk/Bloody-Kids-Derrick-OConnor/dp/B000I8OP6E

just a few videos you might remember from the past that were also filmed in Southend.ENJOY!!

youtube.com/watch?v=1IbJQ4YAPRo

youtube.com/watch?v=v2KfrmKCmAQ

youtube.com/watch?v=RRFQpg0yYNk

Last edited:

Here is an old thread about it:-

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15575&highlight=bloody+kids

I was at that match also (in the North Paddock), they requested that at the end of the match everyone in the North Bank/Paddock/seats went out by the 'big' main gates so they could film the crowd coming out, to make it look like a large crowd. Not sure how many were there I think it may have been around 4,500.

IIRC this was the film where Richard Beckinsale had filmed quite a few scenes for it, then promptly dropped down dead, causing those scenes to be re-shot, with the newly casted actor.

Edit: Sorry, just seen that mentioned above. I think they called in Gary whatsit, the cockney bloke from Auf Wiedersehen Pet to take his place.

Last edited:

Is it a disaster movie?

I like the bit when he is stabbed outside the north bank and gets driven to hospital via Chalkwell Park and the seafront.

If only they knew we had a hospital 800 yards away....

Back