• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

andrew_sthnd

Coach
I am very much looking forward to the new stadium - I feel it will really push the club on to new levels but I tell you one thing; I ain't half gonna miss Roots Hall! I was sitting at the game last night and thinking about how much I loved the place. I still get that surge of adrenaline every time I walk up the stairs to my seat in South Upper. There have been so many good memories that I will miss when we leave. I will always remember the Man Utd game but there are other, more special memories, that will live stronger in my mind, be it against Chester a couple of seasons ago on a cold winter night when I chose to introduce my mate to Southend United and we won 1-0 from a late goal by Lawrie Dudfield, our 4-2 win over Boston when Leon Cort scored a hat trick or even my first ever live football game when Southend thrashed Oxford Utd 6-3! As I say, I am looking forward to the new stadium but there will never be another stadium quite like Roots Hall!

I concur.. we have to move on.. Hopefully to a bit of legroom and some decent big bars.. But the Hall will always be ... 'THE HALL'

I love Roots Hall as well, but we do need another ground with better facilities (and a lack of vision-obscuring roof supports!)

However..... nothing is approved yet and I fully expect the government to let us down and reject the application. A pessimist is never disappointed! :p

I too will miss the place greatly IF we ever move. The down at heel feel of the place is the most endearing thing about it. Like you say some great memories there too.

I had a conversation about this on Saturday. Continued success and growth on and off the pitch is nothing but a good thing for the club. We supporters will obviously benefit through better opposition, facilities etc.

However much this is welcome, I fear that the identity of the club as we know it will be lost. I know supporters of clubs that have been through similar re-generation and they have said something similar. Also, fans that have only begun following Southend in the last couple of years say they feel at home at Roots Hall. How many people will be able to say that if we move?

"I fear change"

I am very much looking forward to the new stadium - I feel it will really push the club on to new levels but I tell you one thing; I ain't half gonna miss Roots Hall! I was sitting at the game last night and thinking about how much I loved the place. I still get that surge of adrenaline every time I walk up the stairs to my seat in South Upper. There have been so many good memories that I will miss when we leave. I will always remember the Man Utd game but there are other, more special memories, that will live stronger in my mind, be it against Chester a couple of seasons ago on a cold winter night when I chose to introduce my mate to Southend United and we won 1-0 from a late goal by Lawrie Dudfield, our 4-2 win over Boston when Leon Cort scored a hat trick or even my first ever live football game when Southend thrashed Oxford Utd 6-3! As I say, I am looking forward to the new stadium but there will never be another stadium quite like Roots Hall!

A stadium without any history is soulless.

ps We beat Oxford 6-1, not 6-3.

I will be spending my Saturdays at the Roots Hall Sainsbury's when it comes. Hopefully the South Lower will be the 'lingerie with Kylie modelling it and hard drugs' section.

A stadium without any history is soulless.

ps We beat Oxford 6-1, not 6-3.

Interesting point that seems to be applicable in most cases; I'm not sure this is always the case though. Donny's new stadium has apparently got tons more atmosphere than that old dump they used to play at; don't seem to remember Hull's KC stadium being soulless either.

You'd hope also that the architects take things like this into consideration when we build our new ground and design in some acoustic features to flatten out the sound in the away corner (hopefully this is what we'll allocate them), and enhance it in a home "singing section".

wonder how many Swansea fans miss the Vetch field ?

I'm looking forward to seeing how Donny have settled in to their new abode - what adump the last place was ....

Oh and wonder where Reading would be in the league without the Majeski - I bet a few more of you recall the away end at Elm Park

Interesting point that seems to be applicable in most cases; I'm not sure this is always the case though. Donny's new stadium has apparently got tons more atmosphere than that old dump they used to play at; don't seem to remember Hull's KC stadium being soulless either.

You'd hope also that the architects take things like this into consideration when we build our new ground and design in some acoustic features to flatten out the sound in the away corner (hopefully this is what we'll allocate them), and enhance it in a home "singing section".

I thought Hull's new ground was a nice little stadium and much better atmosphere than Hillsborough

I agree new doesnt always mean soulless, If its done properly the stadium has the potential to have a much better atmosphere.

We all know Roots Hall has awful acoustics and if the roof is designed properly at Fossetts to retain the noise then it could be a far better place to play. (As long as we can get some decent crowds!)

I would'nt miss Root-Hall as if we want to move to next level, an move to Fossett Farm is an answer.

Back