• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rory Delap

I don't agree, he's 37 now and only made 6 appearances last season on loan at Barnsley (he moved there in Jan 2013 according to his Wiki page). No doubt he'll bring experience to the side but I'd much rather have younger players in the team.

I was thinking this was a huge coup. Didn't realise he is 37 though. He will help them with his throws but at 37 I think it's not that great of a coup.

He can't even play football, hence why he was at stoke for years. All he has is THAT throw. Guarantee his highlight reel would be all throw-in assists. ***** player.

He can't even play football, hence why he was at stoke for years. All he has is THAT throw. Guarantee his highlight reel would be all throw-in assists. ***** player.

So why hasn't Johnny Herd played in the Premiership for several seasons and amounted over 500 professional appearances?

A player who has played the majority of his career in the Premiership. Now he has gone down to League Two. Its a coup. He will do well at this level.

Or he is a Neil Harris ,at least Harris was only 33.

He only played 8 games last year, 7 of them in the Championship, doesnt sound to me like a coup.

Or he is a Neil Harris ,at least Harris was only 33.

He only played 8 games last year, 7 of them in the Championship, doesnt sound to me like a coup.

The season before he played 36 times for Stoke, including a few appearances in the Europa League. Just because he fell out of favour at a Premiership team doesn't mean he isn't a coup.

The season before he played 36 times for Stoke, including a few appearances in the Europa League. Just because he fell out of favour at a Premiership team doesn't mean he isn't a coup.

'Seasons before' count for little, he is 37 now and has barely played in 12 months, and hasnt played since March.

If they get 30 games out of him and his legs havent gone then good for them, I wouldnt be overly impressed if we signed him.

Think that's a good signing for them personally. Play him in a central defensive role just infront of the back 4 and I think he would be great. Plus he offers #DatThrow

'Seasons before' count for little, he is 37 now and has barely played in 12 months, and hasnt played since March.

If they get 30 games out of him and his legs havent gone then good for them, I wouldnt be overly impressed if we signed him.

If he had played around 25-30 games last season, then I highly doubt he would have dropped to League 2 or even League 1. We shall see, but he seems to have a good record at keeping fit and avoiding injury. A 38 year old Ryan Giggs still managed to make over 30 appearances last season.

If he had played around 25-30 games last season, then I highly doubt he would have dropped to League 2 or even League 1. We shall see, but he seems to have a good record at keeping fit and avoiding injury. A 38 year old Ryan Giggs still managed to make over 30 appearances last season.

Yes, and as Ryan Giggs played 30 appearances last year he may be able to play a few this year, and being Manchester United they can afford to have a player they use sparingly.

Delap however didnt and once you stop then its very hard to get back to suddenly playing week in and week out.

He may well surprise me and play 30 games, but as I said before I wouldnt be impressed with signing him, or anyone else older than say 33 who only played 8 games last season.

Because herd was 5ft nothing.

According to the ever reliable wiki he is all of 0.5 inch shorter than Ashley Colle and 3 inches taller than Roberto Carlos.

And Cole and Carlos doesnt/didnt have a long throw either.

Harris is not the same type of player at all.

No, Delap is much older.

Harris like Delap hadnt played much the year before we signed him.

At that age its fine to get a player in if they are still fit and playing, neither were/are.

Who knows Delap may well play 30 games, but I still dont look at it as a great signing, I wouldnt be excited if he joined us.

No, Delap is much older.

Harris like Delap hadnt played much the year before we signed him.

At that age its fine to get a player in if they are still fit and playing, neither were/are.

Who knows Delap may well play 30 games, but I still dont look at it as a great signing, I wouldnt be excited if he joined us.

He was playing for one of the most physical teams in the Premier League at the age of 35/36. Can't be too bad in the way of fitness if he managed to clock up a lot of appearances.

And 11 International caps. I wouldn't be excited either :facepalm:

He was playing for one of the most physical teams in the Premier League at the age of 35/36. Can't be too bad in the way of fitness if he managed to clock up a lot of appearances.

And 11 International caps. I wouldn't be excited either :facepalm:

That was the season before last, he barely played at Championship level last year.

And 11 caps, thats great. Pele has lots of caps too, would they mean he is fit and up to a season in league two now then?

37 is pretty old to be a pro, not many last that long and its rare for them to have an impact. Delap may still be able to do it but Id put a very big question mark next to any player older than 33, and he passed that a long time ago.

Dougie Freedman had a good season the season before we got him, even then his legs had gone that season, and again a few years younger than Delap.

That was the season before last, he barely played at Championship level last year.

And 11 caps, thats great. Pele has lots of caps too, would they mean he is fit and up to a season in league two now then?

37 is pretty old to be a pro, not many last that long and its rare for them to have an impact. Delap may still be able to do it but Id put a very big question mark next to any player older than 33, and he passed that a long time ago.

Dougie Freedman had a good season the season before we got him, even then his legs had gone that season, and again a few years younger than Delap.

Now we are comparing a 37 year old to a 72 year old? I guess we will have to agree to disagree!

Back