• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sometimes Phil Brown gets to meet a potential good signing and can be very persuasive. He did a good job on Simon Cox and Noel Hunt. NH was a waste of time in the end, but at the time had about 6 clubs trying to sign him. Rory McArdle won't be persuaded by Phil Brown because he's out of the country on holiday. So looks like Scunthorpe.

Blues join race to sign defender McArdle

SOUTHEND United have joined the race to sign Bradford City defender Rory McArdle.

More...

Well this move must be a big if, we will have to make him one of our top earners if he comes all the way south as how else can we compete with the other clubs involved:'(

David Webb used to aim to only sign players from within M25 London area as he thought northerners never settled in the South. Alan Little signed all those former York players - what good did they do us?

How quickly you forget the contribution of Gordon Connelly.

Height obviously gives you an advantage

Height does give you an advantage but there's more to it than that. Dave Morley was very tall...

Obviously there's more to it. Ryan Inniss is tall and he's a donkey. McArdle has 12 goals for Bradford, an impressive return for a defender

Off the top of my head the last goalscoring defender we had was Mark Phillips

Height obviously gives you an advantage

Height does give you an advantage but there's more to it than that. Dave Morley was very tall...

No matter what height Mario Walsh was the balls were always just an inch or too higher than he could get his flowing locks to.

#itsnotthedoginthefight.............................

Barrett? Though Philips was a very regular scorer for a CB also.

Barrett didn't get too many during his second spell. Phillips, and Cresswell to be fair popped up with a few pretty regularly for centre halves

This transfer offering has annoyed me. For the reason that I'd really like him at blues but it won't happen. Always thought he was a top defender at this level. Transfer targets that wont happen going to print is just tedious.

Barrett didn't get too many during his second spell. Phillips, and Cresswell to be fair popped up with a few pretty regularly for centre halves

That was when we had Ryan Hall to be fair, still the best corner taker I've seen at us for the past 5ish years.

McArdle is absolutely the type of central defender that would improve the squad. He would be a great signing, however I do agree with what has already been aluded to about targeting northern based players. Bearing in mind he is (ssssh) 30 and has spent the whole of his career in the north of England and Scotland on the UK mainland, then the increased house prices in the South East and the distance to relocate, are an obstacle that Scunny for example wouldn't have to overcome. I remember Dave Smith targeting another Mansfield player after joining us to follow Mickey Laverick down, funnily enough another centre back, Kevin Bird, who he failed to get, not because of what we could offer on the pitch and in wages, but because of the differnce in the cost of living.

Obviously players do move South, but depending on their individual circumstances, the cost of living in this part of the country will have an influence on their final decision, which will vary from player to player.

Has to be said though, if you don't ask, you don't get, so I hope PB keeps plugging away and we do get people in before pre season starts. Once again, I'd love McArdle to be one of them.

Obviously there's more to it. Ryan Inniss is tall and he's a donkey. McArdle has 12 goals for Bradford, an impressive return for a defender

Off the top of my head the last goalscoring defender we had was Mark Phillips

John White.

McArdle is absolutely the type of central defender that would improve the squad. He would be a great signing, however I do agree with what has already been aluded to about targeting northern based players. Bearing in mind he is (ssssh) 30 and has spent the whole of his career in the north of England and Scotland on the UK mainland, then the increased house prices in the South East and the distance to relocate, are an obstacle that Scunny for example wouldn't have to overcome. I remember Dave Smith targeting another Mansfield player after joining us to follow Mickey Laverick down, funnily enough another centre back, Kevin Bird, who he failed to get, not because of what we could offer on the pitch and in wages, but because of the differnce in the cost of living.

Obviously players do move South, but depending on their individual circumstances, the cost of living in this part of the country will have an influence on their final decision, which will vary from player to player.

Has to be said though, if you don't ask, you don't get, so I hope PB keeps plugging away and we do get people in before pre season starts. Once again, I'd love McArdle to be one of them.

Northerner and 30+?

Fits all the criteria then.

Back