• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ross Joyce

Maldon Shrimper

First XI⭐
I wonder what planet the powers to be at EFL are on.This so called referee who as everyone knows poorly officiated our match at Walsall is going to ref the playoff final for the Newport Tranmere game.I sincerely hope he does a better job for this game than he did for us.

Was he the guy who issued an apology or was someone having a bit of a joke?
You are allowed to make mistakes in life you know.

Would you be so forgiving if we were now in League Two thanks to him? Two or three completely ridiculous decisions in that game at Walsall. Yes, people make mistakes. Of course they should be forgiven - but he clearly needs some retraining (as a minimum) as those decisions were not just bad refereeing decisions they were totally appallingly useless decisions.

How about the idiot Hooper who ref'd our Wembley game and missed the BBBC pen? and who gave the false goal at Watford; he has "progressed" upwards despite being consistently poor.

How about the idiot Hooper who ref'd our Wembley game and missed the BBBC pen? and who gave the false goal at Watford; he has "progressed" upwards despite being consistently poor.

True, but then again the ref v Sunderland missed a similar shove prior to their (rightly given) pen. Swings and roundabouts eh?!

That said, the Walsall ref was a special sort of bad. How the hell has he got a play off final?!:Stunned:

Last edited:
True, but then again the ref v Sunderland missed a similar shove prior to their (rightly given) pen. Swings and roundabouts eh?!

That said, the Walsall ref was a special sort of bad. How the hell has he got a play off final?!:Stunned:
Every other ref is on holiday.

Just eat him Ade!

PRiME-EFL2-WYC-v-NOT-LM-20170325-082.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Joyce hasn't refereed an EFL match since Walsall some reward for being incompetent! !

Pretty sure I saw somewhere that he was ref for the FA Vase final at Wembley today as well.

Pretty sure I saw somewhere that he was ref for the FA Vase final at Wembley today as well.

Indeed he was and by all accounts he did a decent job of officiating a match between two Step 9 sides.

saucer of milk, Michael?

Considering this was the referee about whom someone said "Anyway, that was possibly the worst reffing performance I've seen at any level, anywhere and at any age. ", I think my "faint praise" was more than justified.

Considering this was the referee about whom someone said "Anyway, that was possibly the worst reffing performance I've seen at any level, anywhere and at any age. ", I think my "faint praise" was more than justified.

There was no "faint praise". It was just bitchy, hence my sarcastic comeback.

But lets not confuse "sarcasm" with "disagreement". I wouldn't appoint him to a Borough Comb game, let alone Step 9.

There was no "faint praise". It was just bitchy, hence my sarcastic comeback.

But lets not confuse "sarcasm" with "disagreement". I wouldn't appoint him to a Borough Comb game, let alone Step 9.

Nothing "bitchy" about my comment - more sardonic if you want to categorize it. Now where did that mouse go?

Indeed he was and by all accounts he did a decent job of officiating a match between two Step 9 sides.
Not what I heard today, Mick. One of my golfing partners ( not a Southend fan), went to Finals day at Wembley, and without any knowledge of Joyce's performance at Walsall, said he had thought on Sunday how much Joyce was off the pace and out of his depth. Oh, and this golfing friend is a qualified referee himself.

Quoted on the BBC text for the Tranmere v Newport play-off Final

"Michael: I'm sorry. I'm a neutral watching this and you're honestly going to tell me that not ONE of the Newport penalty appeals was an actual penalty?? Terrible refereeing."

Hahahahaha...........Mr Joyce up to his usual standard?:Smile:

Quoted on the BBC text for the Tranmere v Newport play-off Final

"Michael: I'm sorry. I'm a neutral watching this and you're honestly going to tell me that not ONE of the Newport penalty appeals was an actual penalty?? Terrible refereeing."

Hahahahaha...........Mr Joyce up to his usual standard?:Smile:

On any other day, Newport could have had any one of three penalty appeals - the hand ball being the most obvious contender for me.

Back