• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Rotherham Utd vs Southend Utd

What's your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mantom is on a significant wage that would be well above what we are going to be paying if we are going to cut our budget to £1.5million a year.

Whether you rate him or not, he's going. We can't afford him.

What would we consider a significant wage at SUFC these days?

Three grand a week?

You are a manager so what’s makes you special , many people of all levels work hard but fortunately most aren’t abusive like your post. I was a doorman for 10 years whilst being a London fireman , my colleagues included a school teacher , office manager , farmer , find it disrespectful you think it’s low to be a doorman
No your missing the point .... my point is I’ve worked hard to move up the ladder ... it’s absolutely nothing to do with my role .... you clearly want An argument although you’re not grasping any of my logic ... in that I’ve worked hard to get to where I need to be, so In reference to me having a look in the mirror about myself ... I do with great pride ... you don’t know me so I don’t need to justify any comments that I wrote. Have a lovey day Mr Ben

Any idea Jai what he’s on? No rumours please

Not precisely, no. But the key point is not Mantom's wage, or indeed any of the senior professionals. They key point is that we are going to be cutting our wage budget by around 50%. As a result, any contracts signed over the past few years to senior players are going to be untenable.

As a result, not many will still be around in July, regardless of their performances or ability.

Personally I have always liked Sam Mantom as a player, but the last couple of years have been a terribly difficult time for anyone to shine individually. But he'll be gone and I doubt he'll be too cut up about it - I imagine it's not been a fun time for any of them.

Actually its not what he is on per se. Its that Sol will have a budget. And the question will be does he want to spend that amount of the budget on a given player? Say it is £3k (presumably minus 25%). Sol might be OK paying that for one or two key players he wants especially if he's making strong use of the youngsters elsewhere. But that might be a couple of players we already have or even a target or two he wants to bring in- but not Sam (maybe or maybe not). Decision time possibly.

The question will also likely apply to other senior players
White, Shaughnessy, Demi, Macca, Milligan he might want to keep. But even if they were on £2k a week thats £500k out the budget. Tough choices lie ahead. FWIW Shaughnessy I think will be very difficult to keep. JW will want to stay (and will I think). The others maybe if something sensible is there on the wages. If its really going to be a £1.5m budget then real tough choices as I say

Given the strong views of some on a certain player and also our cash crisis , can we not sell Mantom to HMRC ?

Interesting that there is talk by those ITK about the clause in Mantom's contract which might cause us to have to offer him another year. Looking at the contracts page there are others whose contract expires at the end of this season but are down as having an option until the end of 2021. It's a fair assumption that others therefore might also have a clause in their contracts too. Looking at the number of starts and substitute appearances, I wonder who might also have mysterious minor injuries before the end of the season?

Screenshot 2020-03-10 at 14.55.04.png

Looking at that, I wonder how many more times we'll see Dieng this season? Perhaps only one more game? Or if it's related to starts in 50 per cent of league games, then perhaps he's already made his last appearance....

Not precisely, no. But the key point is not Mantom's wage, or indeed any of the senior professionals. They key point is that we are going to be cutting our wage budget by around 50%. As a result, any contracts signed over the past few years to senior players are going to be untenable.

As a result, not many will still be around in July, regardless of their performances or ability.

Personally I have always liked Sam Mantom as a player, but the last couple of years have been a terribly difficult time for anyone to shine individually. But he'll be gone and I doubt he'll be too cut up about it - I imagine it's not been a fun time for any of them.

I think a big part of cutting the wage budget needs to be operating a smaller first team squad and using the u23s better. Why sign Andre Blackman and Liam Ridgewell when you've got Tom Clifford and Miles Mitchell-Nelson in the u23s?

I would like to see Kelman stay in opponent's half all the time ready to chase the ball from the goalkeeper's clearance, remember Billy Best?

Yes! I agree totally - or if not Kelman then Egbri! I mean, seriously, what good is he when defending a corner?! Why do we never leave a player up at such times anymore?

Interesting that there is talk by those ITK about the clause in Mantom's contract which might cause us to have to offer him another year. Looking at the contracts page there are others whose contract expires at the end of this season but are down as having an option until the end of 2021. It's a fair assumption that others therefore might also have a clause in their contracts too. Looking at the number of starts and substitute appearances, I wonder who might also have mysterious minor injuries before the end of the season?

View attachment 11456

Looking at that, I wonder how many more times we'll see Dieng this season? Perhaps only one more game? Or if it's related to starts in 50 per cent of league games, then perhaps he's already made his last appearance....

At least Hyam's appearances won't be enough to trigger a contract extension - didn't realise he had played so few.

Yes! I agree totally - or if not Kelman then Egbri! I mean, seriously, what good is he when defending a corner?! Why do we never leave a player up at such times anymore?
Pretty sure I remember reading the stats for this. Stats suggest that you're less likely to concede when you have everyone back, although in our current situation I agree we might as well leave Egbri up top. I really noticed how small our team looked on Saturday, thankfully it didn't metter too much

Are the general public still allowed to attend training sessions at B&L?

Would be interested to hear if anyone went yesterday, or if they’re planning on going tomorrow &/or Thursday...

No your missing the point .... my point is I’ve worked hard to move up the ladder ... it’s absolutely nothing to do with my role .... you clearly want An argument although you’re not grasping any of my logic ... in that I’ve worked hard to get to where I need to be, so In reference to me having a look in the mirror about myself ... I do with great pride ... you don’t know me so I don’t need to justify any comments that I wrote. Have a lovey day Mr Ben
Z
Many people work hard to improve themselves, same as Sam Mantom did to become a professional footballer. Glad your proud how your career has gone, but as others and I said does that allow you to insult people? Yes you don’t know me but you still chose to say have a lovey day Mr Ben?

Are the general public still allowed to attend training sessions at B&L?

Would be interested to hear if anyone went yesterday, or if they’re planning on going tomorrow &/or Thursday...
Would seem a bit pointless if they had the next 2 days off...

Probably been mentioned already somewhere but we (and Bolton I think) will be put out of our misery and relegated on Saturday if we don't win...

Back