• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Round 1 Heat 12

Who is the Best Song Writer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Heat 2 today is between.

Kurt Cobain - Blue_Wes v Rod Temperton - Napster

Once again over to you lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, Rod did write some crackers, but I have to say the majority of his output was pretty middle of the road pop and not my bag at all.

Kurt wrote 2 of the albums of my 20's. Nevermind and In Utero will never, ever sound old.

Godfather of Grunge v Godfather of Disco.

Rod wins as his output makes me happy, whereas Kurt just needed to calm down a little bit and listen to "Off The Wall"

I'm not sure Rod's going to win the whole thing, but having written the three best tracks on "Off the Wall", which is one of my fave albums, I think that's enough to beat Kurt.

Thriller v Smells like teen spirit. Both great, but I think it could be argued that Thriller had the greatest influence

Kurt for me. Again purely personal as I was 10/11 when Nevermind came out and it sounded like the best thing ever and 20 years later, it still does!

Rod also wrote Give Me the Night sung by George Benson, one of the best disco tracks ever.

[video=youtube;7XhrLyJmZwM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XhrLyJmZwM[/video]

Blew, Negative Creep, Love Buzz, Dumb, Milk It, Very Ape, About A Girl, Downer, Scentless Apprentice

All of this and not a mention of one of the greatest and most influential rock albums OF ALL TIME !!!

Precisely, Cobain wrote a whole album :stunned:

Hahaha. Temperton wrote in different genres, from disco to soul to pop. Cobain wrote in one, and did he use more than 3 chords???

Temperton wrote songs from the 70s through to the 90s. Cobain didn't.

Temperton was nominated for an Oscar for songwriting. Cobain wasn't.

I must admit you are putting up a very good defence of RT Naps

Too late to sway me and in any case Cobain is right up there with John Lennon as my all time musical hero however only 15 votes cast to date must mean there's plenty of undecideds out there

Hahaha. Temperton wrote in different genres, from disco to soul to pop. Cobain wrote in one, and did he use more than 3 chords???

Temperton wrote songs from the 70s through to the 90s. Cobain didn't.

Temperton was nominated for an Oscar for songwriting. Cobain wasn't.

The purists out there may disagree, but disco, soul & pop is pretty much the same genre IMHO.

Cobain was a highly accomplished guitarist. Trust me, Teen Spirit is a bugger to play.

Back