• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Round 1 Heat 16

Who is the Best Song Writer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
The very last heat in this round is between,

Jarvis Cocker - Drastic Sturgeon v Bob Dylan - Dick Bate's Protege

Over to you lot to decide.

I didn't know about this tie and, totally coincidentally, was listening to Dylan on the way in to work this morning. I put all the Dylan songs I have on 'shuffle' and here's what I had:

Tangled Up In Blue
Like A Rolling Stone
One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later)
With God On Our Side

I like Pulp and 'Different Class' would be a strong candidate for my top 20 favourite albums, but there's no contest here.

Never liked Pulp, gotta be Dylan for me - can't really see him not winning the whole thing.

Never liked Pulp, gotta be Dylan for me - can't really see him not winning the whole thing.

Of course has to be Dylan (sorry Jarv), but even Bob had his lean period so he's not infallable. Pulp are another typically British band, totally unique with absolute belters. If only he'd come up against Phil Collins :smile:

Pulp are another typically British band, totally unique with absolute belters. If only he'd come up against Phil Collins :smile:

Nail on head there Coxy

His n Hers and Different Class are er well different class, but Robert Zimmerman is one of my very favourite artists so gets my vote here

So why should you vote for Jarvis over Dylan? What does he have that Bob doesn't?

Wit. And that's just for starters. Jarvis writes about real british life, both the seen and unseen, the commonplace and behind closed doors kitchen sink dramas. He is the quintessential outsider who made it in the mainstream without changing who he was in a career spanning 3 decades and 10 albums he's been no flash in the pan.

Here's what he has to say about the craft of songwriting...
"What really turns me on about lyric writing is inappropriate subject matter . . . There is no such thing as inappropriate subject matter . . . I felt cheated when I became a teenager and I realised that life wasn’t all chocolate box poetry and roses and ‘I’ll love you forever baby’. So I sought out people who didn’t sugar coat their lyrics."

[video=youtube;g1LE9s8RxYg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1LE9s8RxYg[/video]
If there’s one Pulp song your guaranteed to know (and love) it’s Common People, it pretty much perfectly encapsulates the archetypal Cocker song, written with wit and intelligence yet with a chorus that everybody could sing & dance to.​
It was inspired by his own time at St Martins College and was the ideal response to what Cocker felt was the mythologizing social voyeurism that was in vogue with songs like ‘Parklife’ and films such as ‘Natural Born Killers’.

"You have got the greatest pop single of all time on your side. Common People is a masterpiece worthy of anything in the Dylan canon" ~ Dick Bate’s Protege.​
[video=youtube;yuTMWgOduFM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTMWgOduFM&ob=av2n[/video]

Oh and if you want political he can do that with alot more wit than Dylan too...

[video=youtube;deiWnZK-duM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deiWnZK-duM[/video]

Thanks to listening to my pitch (those of you that waited to vote that is), I won't be able to get on SZ much more today, so any support gratefully accpeted.

VOTE COCKER, VOTE BRITISH, VOTE FOR SOMEONE WHOSE SONGS YOU CAN DANCE TO, LAUGH TO AND RELATE TO.

'Common People' has to be one of the finest songs ever written by anyone ever. Dylan has written some belters, but I've got to go with Cocker.

Jarvis for me. I got turned off Dylan when I was a teenager. His only decent song was covered and improved by Hendrix.:winking:

His only decent song was covered and improved by Hendrix.:winking:
Ha ha - that's quite a statement! Can't disagree that Hendrix improved 'All Along the Watchtower', and I love how it's become so inextricably linked to 'Withnail & I'.

Bob Dylan dragged The Beatles, by McCartney's admission, circa Help out of their Love/Holding Hands pop phase and introduced them to drugs. Without His Bobness's intervention, Revolver/Sgt.Peppers etc may not have been made. For that reason alone, he must be put through.

His career has stemmed six decades with three purple patch era's - Mid 60s Highway 61 Revisited/Blonde on Blonde. Mid 70s Desire, Blood on the Tracks. late 90s/ early 00s Time Out of Mind/Love & Theft.

Unlike ****(er), he's had concerts held in his honour by major artists all wishing to contribute.

Common People is, for me, one of the greatest tracks ever, but unfortunately most people in the street wouldn't be able to name many other Pulp songs, and therein lies Cocker's limitations.

Vote Dylan, or Harriett Harman will call you an Anglophile.

Back