• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Round 1 Heat 5

Who is the Best Song Writer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
This first heat this week is the battle between.

Brian Wilson - Shrimpero v Morrissey - davewebbsbrain

Over to you Zoners to decide.

Shrimpero has asked me to post this on his behalf.

Brian Wilson was only 23 when he wrote Pet Sounds and it was already his 10th album.Even Macca admitted it was better than anything that the Beatles had ever done(up to that point).Much as I like Morrisey,he's the voice of miserable Manchester.Brian Wilson is the voice of summer.Even at 70 he's still creating great music.Check out his new Gershwin CD.I saw him perform at the RFH last September(the day after our home game with Plymouth and he's still going strong.

Some Classics.

[video=youtube;pMytHN6odD4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMytHN6odD4&feature=rellist&playnext=1&lis t=PL7D33A173E8651A0C[/video]

[video=youtube;NDfH_J4MAUQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDfH_J4MAUQ&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;X9E1by7PocE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9E1by7PocE&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;BADZW9tZ1uc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BADZW9tZ1uc&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;TCeD_6Y3GQc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCeD_6Y3GQc&feature=related[/video]

Sorry Barna but I've never really rated The Beach Boys. Hugely over-rated IMHO.

The Smiths however are utterly unique and quintessentially British, and as much as Morrissey is a twunt at (many) times, it has to be Morrissey.

Wasn't Johnny Marr more the songwriter in The Smiths? I was under the impression that Marr wrote the tunes, then Morrissey put lyrics around them. I'm not sure how much of his solo stuff he has actually written (in terrms of the melodies) either.

Brian Wilson is the greatest songwriter America has produced. Way ahead of his time, inspired countless other artists and pretty much a dozen masterpiece singles before he was barely in his 20s. He wrote most of the songs too, arranged and played most of the instruments too. Hes still going strong and the fact he is using a new band and still sounding great is a testament to the quality of the songs. In fact if anything they sound better now than ever. Contrast with Mozzers stale renditions of the Smiths back catalogue, played purely to appease his fans.

Comparing these 2 is like comparing cream to excrement. The word 'genius' is often overused these days, but with BW it's totally justified. Unique, timeless pop music with arrangements that can stand up next to the greatest classical composers. Every time I hear the Smiths I cringe (great guitars though), every time I hear the Beach Boys I'm in heaven - no contest.

Beach Boys every single time. In My Room, Little Deuce Coupe, Be True To Your School, and then Good Vibrations, Heroes and Villains...

I didn't like Smile though. :sad:

Wasn't Johnny Marr more the songwriter in The Smiths? I was under the impression that Marr wrote the tunes, then Morrissey put lyrics around them. I'm not sure how much of his solo stuff he has actually written (in terrms of the melodies) either.

Nope, Morrissey wrote the lyrics, Marr wrote the tune.

More later

Mozza is a miserable northern Thatcher-hating peenarse, but I still love The Smiths and most of his solo work. I know Marr had an awful lot to do with the Smiths' sound, but I've never really rated much of what he did afterwards (Electronic and The The's Mind Bomb are pretty good but nothing compared to The Smiths), so you have to give Mozza a lot of credit for the Smiths' output. I think dwb would have been better served nominating Moz/Marr.

For the record, I'm also a big fan of The Beach Boys, but in my humble opinion, only Phil or the Gibbs could beat Mozza in a contest like this.

Brian Wilson for me, Pet Sounds is one of the best albums of all time, Wilson was an outstanding writer in an age when there were so many great writers and artists about. I loved growing up to the sound of the Beach Boys and as Shrimpero said their sounds of summer. For many of us sounds of summers long since passed.

Brian Wilson for me, Pet Sounds is one of the best albums of all time, Wilson was an outstanding writer in an age when there were so many great writers and artists about. I loved growing up to the sound of the Beach Boys and as Shrimpero said their sounds of summer. For many of us sounds of summers long since passed

Dinosaur%20Land%20Artwork1.jpg

Some of The Smiths/Morrissey's great lyrics.

Girlfriend in a coma, I know
I know - it's serious
Girlfriend in a coma, I know
I know - it's really serious

There were times when I could
Have "murdered" her
(But you know, I would hate
Anything to happen to her)

Take me out tonight
where there's music and there's people
who are young and alive
driving in your car
I never never want to go home
because I haven't got one
anymore
take me out tonight
because I want to see people and I
want to see lights
driving in your car
oh please don't drop me home
because it's not my home, it's their
home, and I'm welcome no more
and if a double-decker bus
crashes into us
to die by your side
is such a heavenly way to die
and if a ten ton truck
kills the both of us
to die by your side
well the pleasure and the privilege is mine
take me out tonight
oh take me anywhere, I don't care, I don't care, I don't care
and in the darkened underpass
I thought Oh God, my chance has come at last
(but then a strange fear gripped me and I
just couldn't ask)
take me out tonight
oh take me anywhere, I dont care, I don't care, I don't care
just driving in your car
I never never want to go home
because I haven't got one
I havent got one
and if a double-decker bus
crashes into us
to die by your side
is such a heavenly way to die
and if a ten ton truck
kills the both of us
to die by your side
well the pleasure, the privilege is mine
There is a light that never goes out...

Ohhh sweetness, sweetness I was only joking when I said I'd like to smash every tooth in your head

Ohh sweetness, sweetness I was only joking when I said by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed

"Nothing's changed
I still love you, oh, I still love you
...Only slightly, only slightly less than I used to, my love

I was delayed, I was way-laid
An emergency stop
I smelt the last ten seconds of life
I crashed down on the crossbar
And the pain was enough to make
A shy, bald, buddhist reflect
And plan a mass murder
Who said lied I'd to her ?"

Mark Ronson covered this.....Must be good

Wiki has the Smiths as "Based on the song writing partnership of Morrissey (vocals) and Johnny Marr (guitar)"

Only two tracks on Pet sounds were solely written by Wilson (admittedly one was the title track)

But you could look at a lot of songwriters in this list and say they relied on others or worked in partnership. Producers often play a big part also- where would the Beatles have got to without George Martin, or U2 without Brian Eno?

Funnily enough I think the only person who pretty much writes, sings, produces and plays on nearly all his songs is my choice Prince :winking:. But more of him later in the week.

Um,

1) Not really.
2) Wasn't it "Stop me if you've heard this one before"?

Yes, that's the title of the song by The Smiths, the lyrics I added were from that song, and Ronson covered it.

PANIC:

Panic on the streets of London
Panic on the streets of Birmingham
I wonder to myself
Could life ever be sane again ?
The Leeds side-streets that you slip down
I wonder to myself
Hopes may rise on the Grasmere
But Honey Pie, you're not safe here
So you run down
To the safety of the town
But there's Panic on the streets of Carlisle