• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Round 1 Heat 7

Who is the Best Song Writer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Heat seven brings together a legend against The Streets.

Neil Diamond - They call it madness v Mike Skinner - shrimpboy

Over to you lot once more to decide.

"Lead singer of the Streets" Cricko? Mike Skinner is The Streets :thump:

Bit of a weak round for me here, but I'll give it to Skinner.

Shurely no contest here. Crackin' Rosie, I'm a Believer, Forever in Blue Jeans, Coming to America, brilliant, brilliant songs.

Not much time for either of them, but it's gotta be the Diamond if only for 'Girl You'll Be a Woman Soon'.

"Lead singer of the Streets" Cricko? Mike Skinner is The Streets :thump:

Bit of a weak round for me here, but I'll give it to Skinner.

What you talking about Willis! :winking:

I liked a couple of Streets songs, but Neil has written some of the all time greats....easy choice for me here.

I've never got into a Neil Diamond album, numerous songs are amazing but a whole album loses me. With Skinner he was doings things that were clever, new and in a style that lots of people would reject without giving it a chance. A talent from an English council estate doing things his way - we have a good history of that as a nation. The line about being '25th generation Roman' is one of his many clever twists. He'll lose this round so I'm going with the underdog.

It's Neil Diamond for me, so many classic songs and he's still touring to this day, after the best part of 45 years in the music business.

John, as a matter of interest if neither sponsor appears what happens are both eliminated?

It's Neil Diamond for me, so many classic songs and he's still touring to this day, after the best part of 45 years in the music business.

John, as a matter of interest if neither sponsor appears what happens are both eliminated?

Fair point H.

My vote very much up for grabs and I'm yet to see any supporting evidence.

Errrr dunno, it would mess the next round up somewhat.

Well...I love Mike Skinner, and i love his music but his music will certainly not be as strong as Diamonds 30/40 years down the line, something that Neil has proved.

I cannot access youtube at the moment to put up evidence, however, there are some gems in there as MK Shrimper has clearly posted already. I shall be posting some at 6:00pm when i am back at home!!

I am not going to go into the big guns just yet, certainly not in terms of naming songs. Instead i am going to leave you with the thought of huge acts in their own respected genre's/eras, still having these songs achieve airtime this present day (Monkees and UB40).

Admittedly, his songs were much much bigger in the USA, for example Song Sung Blue only reached number 14 here but was huge in America, yet his music still lives on and will continue to do so.

I will be back on at 6:00pm to post some 'evidence'.

[video=youtube;Dijgi5vk51A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dijgi5vk51A&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;dPpWRuXgF60]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPpWRuXgF60[/video]

This song is not just about Neil but taken from the film and probably one of the most inspiring books ever written...

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

[video=youtube;mgkk0Hdwmo8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgkk0Hdwmo8[/video]

Back