• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Round 1 Heat 8

Who is the Best Song Writer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Half way through the first round and we have the titanic clash between,

Freddie Mercury - Billericay Blue v Noel Gallagher - stereoscene

Over to the Zoners to decide.

No contest surely? Mercury wrote some absolute belters, Gallagher managed 1½ decent albums.

Ive gone for Noel purely on the basis that he wrote all of Oasis' best songs. A lot of Queens were written by the other members of the band, though there is no doubt that Freddie is the greatest frontman of a band ever.
Oasis for me were the first band I really got into, was 12 when I heard 'Supersonic' and it was like nothing I'd heard before. His solo stuff is pretty good too from what Ive heard.

Another easy choice for me here as I can't stand that jumped up no nothing Manc ****.or his brother who takes my previous description to new levels of ****ishness.

Noel Gallagher has to be one of the worst songwriters of all time - so bad it's laughable! Mercury was bloody fantastic, and his writing credits speak for themselves; "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Seven Seas of Rhye", "Killer Queen", "Somebody to Love", "We Are the Champions", "Bicycle Race", "Don't Stop Me Now", "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", "Play the Game". Marvellous.

I don't understand the Oasis-hate. They may have gone a bit stale, but still produced some good singles in their later years. Definitely Maybe & What's The Story are two absolute belters IMHO. Even their early B-sides were good enough to make an album!

Oasis are just Beatles-lite.
I never really understood the Oasis/Beatles comparisons. It's obviously what they wanted people to think, with their haircuts, Lennon glasses and dreadful cover of 'I am the Walrus', and I suppose 'Whatever' is a direct attempt to sound like The Beatles (albeit very clumsy). Ironically, despite Noel desperately trying to get himself up there with the classic songwriters of 1960s British pop music, it was Blur who were effortlessly channelling people like Ray Davies and Syd Barrett, and 'Country House' is far more Beatle-esque than anything Oasis ever did.

Though I accept certain Oassis songs are very well written I'm very sceptical of the way the music industry works and I would accept never hearing the decent songs as after 'Shaker Maker' they should never have been allowed near a recording studio again. And naming your album 'Whats the story morning glory' is mind numbingly uninventive. Queen were one of the few bands my parents had on vinyl so brings back memories.

Though I accept certain Oassis songs are very well written I'm very sceptical of the way the music industry works and I would accept never hearing the decent songs as after 'Shaker Maker' they should never have been allowed near a recording studio again. And naming your album 'Whats the story morning glory' is mind numbingly uninventive. Queen were one of the few bands my parents had on vinyl so brings back memories.

Yeah really inventive nicking Marx Brothers films as album titles. :nope:

Loving how this one has split the punters!

(Secretly, I rather like both, and will end up voting for Noel for purely sentimental reasons - Oasis was the sound-track to my Uni-days; Queen wasn't).

OK, here goes.

Mercury wrote 10 of the 17 songs on Queen's Greatest Hits album: "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Seven Seas of Rhye", "Killer Queen", "Somebody to Love", "Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy", "We Are the Champions", "Bicycle Race", "Don't Stop Me Now", "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and "Play the Game".

He also wrote the music for the No.1 single Innuendo, as well as 5 tracks on the album Made in Heaven which was released in 1995, 4 years after his death.

The most notable aspect of his songwriting involved the wide range of genres that he used, which included, among other styles, rockabilly, progressive rock, heavy metal, gospel and disco. As he explained in a 1986 interview, "I hate doing the same thing again and again and again. I like to see what's happening now in music, film and theatre and incorporate all of those things."Compared to many popular songwriters, Mercury also tended to write musically complex material. For example, "Bohemian Rhapsody" is acyclic in structure and comprises dozens of chords. He also wrote six songs from Queen II which deal with multiple key changes and complex material. "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", on the other hand, contains only a few chords. Despite the fact that Mercury often wrote very intricate harmonies, he also claimed that he could barely read music.He wrote most of his songs on the piano and used a wide variety of different key signatures.

In addition to his work with Queen, Mercury put out two solo albums and several singles. Although his solo work was not as commercially successful as most Queen albums, the two off-Queen albums and several of the singles debuted in the top 10 of the UK Album Charts. His first solo effort involved his contribution to the Richard "Wolfie" Wolf mix of Love Kills on the 1984 album (the song also used as the end title theme for National Lampoon's "Loaded Weapon") and new soundtrack to the 1926 Fritz Lang film Metropolis. The song, produced by Giorgio Moroder, debuted at the number 10 position in the UK charts.

Mercury's two full albums outside the band were Mr. Bad Guy (1985) and Barcelona (1988). The former is a pop-oriented album that emphasises disco and dance music. "Barcelona" was recorded and performed with the opera singer Montserrat Caballé, whom he had long admired. Mr. Bad Guy debuted in the top ten of the UK Album Charts.In 1993, a remix of "Living on My Own", a single from the album, reached the No.1 position on the UK Singles Charts. The song also garnered Mercury a posthumous Ivor Novello Award. Allmusic critic Eduardo Rivadavia describes Mr. Bad Guy as "outstanding from start to finish" and expressed his view that Mercury "did a commendable job of stretching into uncharted territory". In particular, the album is heavily synthesiser-driven in a way that is not characteristic of previous Queen albums.

Barcelona, recorded with Spanish soprano Montserrat Caballé, combines elements of popular music and opera. Many critics were uncertain what to make of the album; one referred to it as "the most bizarre CD of the year". The album was a commercial success, and the album's title track debuted at the No.8 position in the UK charts and was a hit in Spain.[48] The title track received massive air play as the official hymn of the 1992 Summer Olympics (held in Barcelona one year after Mercury's death). Caballé sang it live at the opening of the Olympics with Mercury's part played on a screen, and again prior to the start of the 1999 UEFA Champions League Final in Barcelona.

In addition to the two solo albums, Mercury released several singles, including his own version of the hit The Great Pretender by The Platters, which debuted at number five in the UK in 1987. In September 2006, a compilation album featuring Mercury's solo work was released in the UK in honour of what would have been his 60th birthday. The album debuted in the top 10 of the UK Album Charts.

In 1981–1983, Mercury recorded several tracks with Michael Jackson, including a demo of "State of Shock", "Victory" and "There Must Be More to Life Than This". None of these collaborations were officially released, although bootleg recordings exist. Jackson went on to record the single "State of Shock" with Mick Jagger for The Jacksons's album Victory.Mercury included the solo version of "There Must Be More To Life Than This" on his Mr. Bad Guy album.

VOTE FREDDIE

and I suppose calling your first Album "Queen" and the follow up "Queen II" was being ironic ?
That's quite handy if they follow it through and you realise your collection jumps from Queen 10 to Queen 12, but they bottled it (not you Lee, calm down). Adele's policy of using her age - that'll be the real test when she hits 40.

Back