• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Round 1: Heat 9: (What's the Story)Morning Glory vs Quadrophenia

Which album ...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
Welcome to Day 3 of BotA .. kicking us off today in carls pick from Oasis up against The Whos classic Quadrophenia (Shrimpero)

Another thats just too close to call IMO

i know that the "cool" kids may prefer definetely maybe, but just look at some of the songs on here:

Wonderwall
Roll with it
Don't look back in anger
Whats the Story Morning glory
Some might say
Champagne supernova

One of the very few albums in the world where you'd happily listen to all songs.

In 1997, Morning Glory was named the greatest album of all time in the "Music of the Millennium" poll, conducted by HMV, Channel 4, The Guardian and Classic FM. In 1998, Q magazine readers placed it at number 1, and in 2000 it achieved the same position in Q's "100 Greatest British Albums Ever" list. In 1999, the editors of Q declared it the "album of the decade". The readers of Q placed it first again on the 2006 top 100 greatest albums of all time list.

Really, really tough one this, certainly the toughest for me so far. 'Twill have to take some pondering I think.

Really, really tough one this, certainly the toughest for me so far. 'Twill have to take some pondering I think.

Same here. As much as I love Oasis, Quadrophenia is one of my favourite films and the first real Who album I got into and contains some of my fave songs - 5:15, Bellboy etc.

Arrghhh!

Q readers don't know ****. Do you want to vote for originators or copyists?

Quadrophenia all the way.

I hate to vote against one of my best pals on Facebook, but I've got to go with the Ace Faces from London Town against the Northern Monkeys. Can you see the Real Me? Can Ya? Can Ya?

Four sides of fantastic vinyl telling the story of Jimmy The Mod's journey from alienated Shepherd's Bush adolescent to seriously disconnected pillhead cast out to sea off the pebbly coast of Brighton...amid a glorious cacophony of strings, synths, manic drums and a virtuoso vocal performance from Roger. ''Dr. Jimmy and Mister Jim,'' declares Rog voicing the thoughts of Pete's Jimmy,''...when I'm pilled you don't notice him...he only comes out when I drink my gin.'' Every storming synth attack is leavened by Townshend's Mahleresque Quadrophenia coda, as the lad's quick descent and struggle for some kind of truth joust vainly amidst this wonderful swirl of a ''concept album.'' Easy to ridicule the portentousness of the concept, but my, what a legacy... a true original, and with a bit more between the ears and legs than young Noel's hackneyed paeans to cigarettes and alcohol.

Although I have a lot of time for Oasis it has to be 'Quadraphenia' for me.

My brother brought this album into the house when I was 11 (he was 13) and I've loved it since then (more than 25 years), don't tell him though as I was a bit of an electro/hip hop head then and he was a mod and I kicked against his moddish ways.

So many good tunes on this album it would be an injustice to pick out one or two.

all your dreams are made, when your chained to the mirror and the razor blade..

Four sides of fantastic vinyl telling the story of Jimmy The Mod's journey from alienated Shepherd's Bush adolescent to seriously disconnected pillhead cast out to sea off the pebbly coast of Brighton...amid a glorious cacophony of strings, synths, manic drums and a virtuoso vocal performance from Roger. ''Dr. Jimmy and Mister Jim,'' declares Rog voicing the thoughts of Pete's Jimmy,''...when I'm pilled you don't notice him...he only comes out when I drink my gin.'' Every storming synth attack is leavened by Townshend's Mahleresque Quadrophenia coda, as the lad's quick descent and struggle for some kind of truth joust vainly amidst this wonderful swirl of a ''concept album.'' Easy to ridicule the portentousness of the concept, but my, what a legacy... a true original, and with a bit more between the ears and legs than young Noel's hackneyed paeans to cigarettes and alcohol.

And Quadrophenia gets my vote - I loved this album when Noel was humping around amps for Inspiral Carpets and before.

never ever "got" The Who. Don't really like Oasis but WTS(MG) is a superb album, even if it isn't particularly innovative or original. just some great pop-rock sing-a-long songs

Whilst preferring their first album, WTSMG is full of absolutley classic tunes / anthems. Was THE Album of my youth and so gets my vote.

The Who were before my time, while What's The Story is a work of musical genius. Anthemic, rousing, fist-pumping, glorious music. Magnificent.

Oasis for me.

Matt

Difficult choice here as love the Who. Saw them at one of Wembley's 1st ever open air gigs in 1978 and they were fantastic. Have to say however that Morning Glory is truly a masterpiece that Oasis have never bettered and that gets my vote here.

Difficult one for me. If it had been the best Oasis album (Definitely Maybe) then my vote would be with the Burnage Boys....however it's not so I'm still undecided......

No contest Quadrophenia all the way. A classic album from one of the great bands at their peak with the original line up of Townshend, Daltrey, Entwhistle and the incomparable Keith Moon.

Don't mind Oasis but I'd seriously like to give Liam Gallgher a sever ****ting for his own benefit.

Whats the Story one of those rare albums where I love listening all the way through to every song. Must confess have never listened to Quadrophenia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back