• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Greatest Southend Moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SUFCStu

President
Winners of Group 5 V Runners up of Group 6.

davewebbsbrain - Ian Benjamin goal that put Southend into the second tier for the first time.

V Drastisc Sturgeon - Oliver Trigg in the Blue Boar, 19 May 1906

I know thanks to Oliver Trigg we all have SUFC but thanks to Ian Benjamin and that goal, we have some awesome memories of being in the 2nd tier for the first time ever and what great times.

That match and THAT goal again, all with 10 men:

[video=youtube;s94LR_50iGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s94LR_50iGU[/video]

Sadly there are no clips of Oliver Trigg & his comrades forming the club in the Blue Boar 105 years ago, there is a rather nice blue plaque on the side of the building though, something nobody else in this competition has.

As DWB rightly said this is the bit where I'm meant to point out that without Oliver Trigg none of the entrants, none of us would be here discussing this now. Well that's what I'm meant to say, but when Trigg & co founded the club, it was moments like Benji scoring to take us into the 2nd Tier for the first time that they were dreaming of. Getting past the first round was my main aim, and making sure their acheivement was remembered and in that I've succeeded.

So vote Benji, it's what Oliver Trigg would have wanted.

Drastic™;1357903 said:
Sadly there are no clips of Oliver Trigg & his comrades forming the club in the Blue Boar 105 years ago, there is a rather nice blue plaque on the side of the building though, something nobody else in this competition has.

As DWB rightly said this is the bit where I'm meant to point out that without Oliver Trigg none of the entrants, none of us would be here discussing this now. Well that's what I'm meant to say, but when Trigg & co founded the club, it was moments like Benji scoring to take us into the 2nd Tier for the first time that they were dreaming of. Getting past the first round was my main aim, and making sure their acheivement was remembered and in that I've succeeded.

That bought a bit of a lump to my throat. All very true but a lovely thing to write all the same :Worthy:

Drastic™;1357903 said:

Well said sir :clap:

As the song goes "Who put the ball in the Bury net, Benji, Benji..............

Having supported the club for 25 years at the time it was a day I never thought would happen, remember just 2 years earlier we had been relegated to Division 4.

They say that when you die a number of images from your life flash through you mind and I'm sure Benji receiving the ball with his back to the goal, swiveling, and planting the ball across the keeper into the corner of the net will be one of them, I'm even getting goosebumps typing this! Thank goodness I still have the video!

As much as Oliver Trigg is important, someone else would have founded SUFC...

That goal gave us all hope...and hope springs eternal.

As much as Oliver Trigg is important, someone else would have founded SUFC...

I'm sure somebody else would have, Southend was the logical place in the area to form a pro team. And if they had maybe we'd all be sitting round discussing whether that moment was greater than the time Steve Claridge scored the goal got Southend Wanderers into the 2nd tier for the first ever time in 1997. But let's leave the quantum physics there shall we?

Back