• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Roy Keane

Cas says he was very unprofessional though.
And if his approach to management is that simple that's why he's failed.
What's simple for most people in most jobs is having basics like structure, guidance, planning etc.

I didn’t say that was his approach to management and that was all he'd do....of course he’d plan, guide and offer structure! Yo don’t play for Man U for 12 years under Ferguson and not understand the need for those things.....

My point was all Roy Keane would ask of you is those things....if you gave him that I don’t think you’d fall out with him. It’s really all he asks / expects....

Unfortunately that’s a little too much for most players....particularly for most of ours

Playing for Keane is really simple....

Work as hard as you can

Train as hard as you can

Be as professional as you can

He as honest with your performances as you can

...and he'll still have a go at you. Recipe for poor morale in any line of management.
Also, he wasn't particularly professional himself (although he can tick all of the other boxes), so it would be a case of do as I say not as I did, which also never goes down well.

...and he'll still have a go at you. Recipe for poor morale in any line of management.
Also, he wasn't particularly professional himself (although he can tick all of the other boxes), so it would be a case of do as I say not as I did, which also never goes down well.

Wasn’t professional? He liked a beer....who didn’t at that time....He got sent off petulantly once or twice...which of those type of players hasn’t.....and boy could we do with a player or two like that!!!

Other than that I’m struggling to work out how someone captained man united during their greatest ever era and wasn’t professional ?‍♂️

Wasn’t professional? He liked a beer....who didn’t at that time....He got sent off petulantly once or twice...which of those type of players hasn’t.....and boy could we do with a player or two like that!!!

Other than that I’m struggling to work out how someone captained man united during their greatest ever era and wasn’t professional ?‍♂️
no offence mate, but i'll take the word of the bloke who played with him over someone who didn't.

I didn’t say that was his approach to management and that was all he'd do....of course he’d plan, guide and offer structure! Yo don’t play for Man U for 12 years under Ferguson and not understand the need for those things.....

My point was all Roy Keane would ask of you is those things....if you gave him that I don’t think you’d fall out with him. It’s really all he asks / expects....

Unfortunately that’s a little too much for most players....particularly for most of ours
yet he's got a very poor record as a manager. He only got those jobs because of his name and playing record (happens a lot, not just him) but when he's had a record to be scrutinised he's been very poor. he seems more interested in falling out with people than getting results

Btw I wasn’t at any point trying to justify Roy Keane as Southend manager!! My point was the very thought of it was laughable

I wouldn't consider having a personal vendetta with someone and deliberately going out of your way to break their leg during a game particularly professional...and that's just for starters!

I wouldn't consider having a personal vendetta with someone and deliberately going out of your way to break their leg during a game particularly professional...and that's just for starters!

Then you’re very naive if you don’t think this happens quite regularly.....it’s been going on since the dawn of time...

I dont see it as unprofessional but I do see it as ruthlessly sociopathic....

I think Roy was and is both of those.

However talk is cheap but its also way over payed for in the modern world. Roy has realised its much easier than management and has found his off field 'forte'

If you judge a man on his actions.....Then Roy is right up there with the very best there has ever been....As a player.

As Tia said that performance in Turin was outstanding and a great example for the term Professional.

The thuggery side was shown with the Alf Haagland tackle, any other person would have been jailed
Lost total respect for him and lucky to still be in the game

Back