• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Roy Keane

I know some people have called for Roy Keane to get the job here so I thought I'd share something from today's Times

Does angry Roy Keane think football owes him more?
Tony Cascarino

Roy Keane is turning football punditry into The Jeremy Kyle Show.

He has been a manager, is a qualified coach and a former Manchester United captain; yet in my view he’s not analysing the game, he’s not offering expert insight, he’s just ranting and raging about people.

I have said lots about Roy and don’t want to be seen to be sticking pins in him but after his latest outbursts — accusing Sir Alex Ferguson of nepotism and criticising Jonathan Walters, the former Ireland forward, again — I must question him.

He accused Ferguson of not putting Manchester United first because of the fact he picked his son Darren in the 1992-93 season. Yes, Darren was not good enough for United in the long term but he played a handful of games because Bryan Robson was injured. That’s not nepotism or preferential treatment, that’s just managing a squad.

His comments about Walters are pretty unsavoury, talking about him “crying on TV about his family situation” when Walters has talked openly about the death of his mother and brother. It just makes me wonder why Roy can’t show some compassion.

And to follow it up with a dig about Walters not having won much in football — where’s your humility, Roy? He has been a manager and coach at various clubs, if he is going around talking about how much he has won, he will lose the dressing room very quickly.

He has obviously been so critical of Mick McCarthy and they had their famous bust-up at the 2002 World Cup. I asked Roy once about why he had a problem with Mick and he said he thought Mick was a “phoney hardman”. There is nothing phoney about Mick. On my first international against Switzerland, I was getting a tough time from their defenders when I was only a young lad but Mick was right there backing me up all game.

I just feel like he’s going for everyone. Maybe he doesn’t feel worthy enough; he’s been a big name in the game for a long time but his chance to become a successful manager seems to have gone. He rates Brian Clough as the best manager he played for (even though Nottingham Forest were relegated under Clough when Roy was there) but Roy will never match Cloughie as a manager now. I can’t believe many owners or chairmen would want to hire him.

He is so angry but I don’t know whether it’s about Ferguson or Walters or anyone else — I just wonder if Roy is angry at football. He has been so successful, won nearly every club trophy there is, but maybe he feels the game owes him more somehow.

I wonder why he has not been critical of me. We played together for Ireland for eight years. Roy talks about players being unprofessional but he is up there with one of the most unprofessional players I know.

It all makes me question where Roy is heading. I would love to sit down with him, on his version of The Jeremy Kyle Show, and discuss things with him, try to work out why he acts as he does. He has his fans and was a great player but his rants and feuds are beginning to overshadow everything else.

.. definitely a serial underachiever!
The only reason why clubs continually seek his services is because of his name. Absolute waste of time and money appointing him, he has a chip on both shoulders and living off his past.

.. definitely a serial underachiever!
The only reason why clubs continually seek his services is because of his name. Absolute waste of time and money appointing him, he has a chip on both shoulders and living off his past.
My mate is an Ipswich season ticket holder for 47 years. Keane spent their money and destroyed club morale their still recovering ( his words)

My mate is an Ipswich season ticket holder for 47 years. Keane spent their money and destroyed club morale their still recovering ( his words)

Great players rarely make great managers, and Roy Keane may be a case in point.

I would not want Roy Keane to be our manager. Adam Barrett and Kevin Maher working as joint managers perhaps? Maybe Ian Hollaway

Roy Keane would never come here! But I agree with Cascarino, he’s a very angry man that has become a bit of a circus act.

Players who become managers often retain something of their playing style in their management philosophy. Roy Keane as a player was a destroyer and a disruptor, I'm not sure that style works particularly well in management

I don't think we need to worry, as I don't think he's even in the frame. We have a lot of player power going on at the club at the moment, and a Roy Keane type would just get in a war with them all, and they would down tools again. Kevin Bond tried that approach, and it badly back fired.

Roy Keane would turn us around for the first few games, maybe even until Xmas. Then it would all go horribly horribly wrong. No thanks.

He has said himself his management career has been dire

He is the most negative man involved in football. He disses everyone including himself. Everything is rubbish. He's not stupid. He knows the likes of Sky will carry on paying him a fortune the more controversial he is. They know people will tune in just to see what he's going to say next.

He is the most negative man involved in football. He disses everyone including himself. Everything is rubbish. He's not stupid. He knows the likes of Sky will carry on paying him a fortune the more controversial he is. They know people will tune in just to see what he's going to say next.

Would they come to RH to see what he might do next?

Keane was a fantastic talent on the pitch his performance in champions league semi final in Turin when he knew he wouldn't play in final coz of suspension was real credit to him and he got Sunderland up but as a manager since and going forward I'd be surprised if he succeeded anywhere again just too confrontational

I love that little smile he gives when the chat goes a bit more jocular - not that I've seen him on Sky, the last time was during the World Cup on ITV.

Playing for Keane is really simple....

Work as hard as you can

Train as hard as you can

Be as professional as you can

He as honest with your performances as you can

Should be simple for most people In most jobs...highly paid footballers seem to struggle though

Playing for Keane is really simple....

Work as hard as you can

Train as hard as you can

Be as professional as you can

He as honest with your performances as you can

Should be simple for most people In most jobs...highly paid footballers seem to struggle though
Cas says he was very unprofessional though.
And if his approach to management is that simple that's why he's failed.
What's simple for most people in most jobs is having basics like structure, guidance, planning etc.

Cas says he was very unprofessional though.
And if his approach to management is that simple that's why he's failed.
What's simple for most people in most jobs is having basics like structure, guidance, planning etc.

You could look at it another way. Cas thinks Roy should keep quiet like everyone else in football because they are all wallowing in stacks of cash.......Don't tell the fans some truths because they are the hens that lay the golden eggs....

You could look at it another way. Cas thinks Roy should keep quiet like everyone else in football because they are all wallowing in stacks of cash.......Don't tell the fans some truths because they are the hens that lay the golden eggs....
I think it was more that Keane was a big drinker who would let his temper over come him than that he was an intrepid fighter against cosy complacency

I think it was more that Keane was a big drinker who would let his temper over come him than that he was an intrepid fighter against cosy complacency

I think Roy was and is both of those.

However talk is cheap but its also way over payed for in the modern world. Roy has realised its much easier than management and has found his off field 'forte'

If you judge a man on his actions.....Then Roy is right up there with the very best there has ever been....As a player.

As Tia said that performance in Turin was outstanding and a great example for the term Professional.

Last edited:
Back