• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
This is the uncut version of a column for tomorrow's Irish Examiner. I have to strip out 125 words before I can file, but I wanted the full version to get read before I took the knife to it. These people, they really, really grind my balls. The Arsenal fans. Not the Irish. They're lovely.

Picture the scene. You’re at The Emirates, it’s the 85th minute and you’re struggling to overcome a ten-man Wolverhampton Wanderers. “Scuse me mate, coming through.” Ahem. Yes, you have to win because…“Sorry mate, can me and my boy just get past you?” Right, where was I? Oh yeah, you have to win, you must win and you’re pushed so far to the edge of your seat with nerves that only a thin strip of your buttocks clings to the plastic, defying gravity in its…. “Coming through, coming through.”

What on earth is wrong with Arsenal fans? Is life not exciting enough for you with your fleet-footed team of home-grown wonderkids, your Champions League heroics and your three-way title race? Is this still not enough to keep you in a seat that you must have paid a fortune for? Is it possible that we are keeping you from the new series of Doctor Who?

I’m no angel. I’ve left Southend games a couple of minutes early to get a clear run at the bar, but that’s when we’ve been outclassed, are more than two goals down and it’s raining and I’m sad. If, and this is a theoretical leap that could take you to the fringes of our galaxy, we were in a title race with Manchester United and Chelsea, I’d be glued to the seat until the end.

I report from Arsenal regularly and I know how much this exodus upsets the old guard of Gooners, but it happens so often. I even caught people leaving early during the epic 2-2 draw with Barcelona and that was the most exciting game I’ve ever covered, and arguably that I’ve ever watched. But to do it at the business end of the season, when your team needs you to drive them on for a vital winner, I mean, you could get shot for that kind of treachery in some countries.

I know the traffic is bad and the tube is rotten, but make allowances. Leave time for a pint after the game, or a bag of chips, or a trip round the Megastore or, and this is going out a limb, sticking around to clap the exhausted players off the pitch maybe. If it annoys you as much as it annoys me, worry not. I have a solution.

Meet me outside The Emirates on April 24 with a large butterfly net and a stun-gun. We’ll catch as many early-leavers as we can, stick them in a double-decker bus and whisk them down to Southend. These people have got money to burn and my football club can offer a car-park with dramatically reduced queuing times. They obviously don’t care about the football and, you know, that’s a good thing given the way we're playing right now. It’s a match made in heaven and the best thing is that it frees up some seats in The Emirates for the thousands of Arsenal fans who actually want to be there.

do you know what this is something that really bothers me. my girlfriend and her whole family are seaso's but they leave every game at least 5/10 minutes early as you sometimes a 3rd of the crowd. yeah its busy but so what.

i've been a few times and honestly would hate to be a gooner, not real fans at all half of them and the prices are stupid.

the funny thing they think they are true supporters and give me abuse for supporting my local team purely because of the love for the team. i'm not stupid i know we're never going to be in the prem or maybe even in the championship but i don't actually care. i love going to the game with my dad and my family and my mates.

i actually feel sorry for them because they will never feel a fraction of the feelings we do. the dissappointment, the joy through all the ups and down. but when you see adam barrett put in a great tackle and he's get up and clenches his fist and the crowd goes mad it a great feeling.

i only wish we had players who wanted to play here, even if they don't have the ability they would make up for it in passion.

do you know what this is something that really bothers me. my girlfriend and her whole family are seaso's but they leave every game at least 5/10 minutes early as you sometimes a 3rd of the crowd. yeah its busy but so what.

i've been a few times and honestly would hate to be a gooner, not real fans at all half of them and the prices are stupid.

the funny thing they think they are true supporters and give me abuse for supporting my local team purely because of the love for the team. i'm not stupid i know we're never going to be in the prem or maybe even in the championship but i don't actually care. i love going to the game with my dad and my family and my mates.

i actually feel sorry for them because they will never feel a fraction of the feelings we do. the dissappointment, the joy through all the ups and down. but when you see adam barrett put in a great tackle and he's get up and clenches his fist and the crowd goes mad it a great feeling.

i only wish we had players who wanted to play here, even if they don't have the ability they would make up for it in passion.

Now that's just a ****ing brilliant post. Hands down, best of the week for me.

Agree with the original point but what do people think about some Burnley fans leaving after 7 minutes when they were 3-0 down yesterday? Would you leave in that scenario?

Agree with the original point but what do people think about some Burnley fans leaving after 7 minutes when they were 3-0 down yesterday? Would you leave in that scenario?

Nope I've sat or stood through us gettting ******* 9-1, 8-1 and only felt the urge to string a noose to the reafters of the stand and dangle from it.

The travel arrangements from the Emirates is crap due to Caledonian Road being closed for an hour before and after kick off, and it's a bit of a step to Arsenal & Finsbury Park, but that shouldn't be an excuse. Ticket prices are astronomical enough without sodding off early. Would anyone leave the cinema or theatre 10 minutes before the end? Unless of course the show was absolute dog ****.

Nope I've sat or stood through us gettting ******* 9-1, 8-1 and only felt the urge to string a noose to the reafters of the stand and dangle from it.

The travel arrangements from the Emirates is crap due to Caledonian Road being closed for an hour before and after kick off, and it's a bit of a step to Arsenal & Finsbury Park, but that shouldn't be an excuse. Ticket prices are astronomical enough without sodding off early. Would anyone leave the cinema or theatre 10 minutes before the end? Unless of course the show was absolute dog ****.

No I wouldn't either.

I totally agree with you about leaving early in matches, it makes me feel angry, BUT....I went to an Arsenal game earlier this year and it took me nearly an hour to get out of the stadium and onto a train, the transport links are horrendous and that is with two underground stations nearby.

Have been to the Emirates and Highbury many times over the years and think it depends where you sit. There will always be an element of people who are keen to get away from games- as some posters have previously mentioned the Emirates is a nightmare to get away from - but the crowd I go with never leave early and passions run extremely high.
Think they get alot more 'casual' watchers now they are at the Emirates but don't think its entirely fair to tar them all with the same brush.

I've been along a couple of times to the Emirates this season and it is an arsehole to get away from, just like Wembley, but I never left early.

I never leave football matches early. I was there when we was 5-0 down at Doncaster, I was there when we continually let 3 goals in per home game in the Championship, I stay till the end and applaud the players from the pitch, or completely ignore them if they have performed woefully as they did against Yeovil.

This season we have scored in the last minute against Gillingham, MK Dons and Brighton, and let in last minute goals against Norwich, Charlton, Hartlepool and Bristol Rovers. Just watching Soccer Saturday when we are away from home, the amount of goals that come through in the 90th minute is incredible. I have no idea why you'd leave early.

The Emirates is shocking for this. From about the 75th minute people where leaving early. Now, would getting home an extra 15 minutes early make up for missing a 94th minute winner against Wolves? Certainly wouldn't for me.

Like when Burnley fans were leaving after 15 minutes because they were 3-0 down to Man City. A club that can't defend against a team that has a forward line consisting of Tevez, Adebayor and Bellamy, which cost around £60m+. Ridiculous what some fans expect.

thats what its all about:clap:

Like when Burnley fans were leaving after 15 minutes because they were 3-0 down to Man City. A club that can't defend against a team that has a forward line consisting of Tevez, Adebayor and Bellamy, which cost around £60m+. Ridiculous what some fans expect.

Some left after the third goal in the 7th minute.

Nail on the head there canveyshrimper. My policy on leaving early is exactly the same and I myself get very annoyed with people who leave early. I think the Arsenal fans just expect success. They think they deserve to be champions, and I think its a little bit of them getting fed up of the fact Wenger won't spend the money to get them to the title and the champions league final.

Did you see on MOTD one of their fans punching the wall on the way out!
The worst ground I've seen for early leavers is Sunderland's. When we lost 4-0 up there half their fans had left well before the end.

Back