• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Rubbish manager, fantastic signing

Both of which are contested anyway.
Theres probably often (usually) other inputs or views, chairman signings etc but we won’t always know about them.

For the purposes of this thread, it’s probably easiest to think of who was signed during the tenure of which manager.

He was only decent against us. At Exeter in April 1990. :Cry:

Knowing you though, Ray, I expect your tongue was embedded in your cheek when citing 'Yogi' as decent.

Sadly, the tongue embedded itself so far that I’m still struggling to get it out.

Strangely enough RY played very well in his first pre season friendly - against Ipswich I think.

I think he was then injured and was then forever diabolical until he left.

Mind you, after Molesley, I now look back on Bate’s tenure with more fondness than previously……..

Who signed Bilel? 10/10 for entertainment & a rollercoaster ride.
He had all the talent and on his day he could win you a game by himself, also one of the nicest people you could wish to meet, turning up at blues fans birthdays, house party’s, I even invited him to come clubbing in mayhem one night… and yes he turned up! Legend

Just a shame on the pitch he lost it to easy

Wish My Brain Was As Good As Some Of You Lot.
I Can’t Remember That Well 🫤
I Do Have An Excuse though, I’m in My Seventies Now!
But Still Have That Passion For Southend United. COYB, UTB 💙💙 :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter:
Some people come out with a load of old nonsense "age is just a number".....I wish I knew then what I know now...Some attempt to buy youth but when it comes to maturity that cannot be bought.

Did he actually sign anyone? I think we might have been under a transfer embargo in that period (strangely) because he followed The Ruts' advice and gave youth a chance.

He was under a transfer embargo for his entire Southend career.

IIRC he signed two players who he wasn’t able to register (Theo Vassell and Manny Osadebe) so never played for us plus an emergency loan goalkeeper, the Arsenal mascot Gunnersaurus.

I’m afraid I don’t have a suitable music video to illustrate this.

So, so far we have:

**** ManagerSuper signing(s)
Colin MurphyStan Collymore
Steve WignallMark Gower; Che Wilson; Duncan Jupp; Lewis Hunt; Leon Constantine
Kevin BondNathan Ralph
Mark MolesleyShaun Hobson
Alvan WilliamsEddie Firmani
Alvin MartinKevin Maher
Ted FentonTony Bentley
Peter MorrisBig Roy McDonagh
Phil Brown 2.0Sam Dalby
Ronnie WhelanMike Marsh
Bobby MooreRichard Cadette
Harry WarrenSam McCrory; Harry Threadgold

He was under a transfer embargo for his entire Southend career.

IIRC he signed two players who he wasn’t able to register (Theo Vassell and Manny Osadebe) so never played for us plus an emergency loan goalkeeper, the Arsenal mascot Gunnersaurus.

I’m afraid I don’t have a suitable music video to illustrate this.
Yes - thank you for the reminder about the Macc lads.

Gotta throw in Dave Smith, many good signings, but Colin Morris, Derrick Parker, Anton Otulakowski, Derek Spence and Dave Cusack stand out to highlight just a few.

Back