• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

steveo

mine to stay the same please
Teachers boycotts cause kids so miss their sats tests, Unite announce more BA strikes just in time to coincide with holidays and World Cup travel, claiming Ba have forced them to strike and another British soldier dies in some god forsaken **** hole half way round the world.

Time to bring back Maggie.

To be fair, Sats are rubbish and a complete waste of time. Nothing to do with the kids education, just telling the government how the school is doing.

Blimey! :stunned: We agree on something for once!

If its generally agreed they are not the way forward, surely a new system should be decided on and put in place rather than just boycotting the old system.

To be fair, Sats are rubbish and a complete waste of time. Nothing to do with the kids education, just telling the government how the school is doing.
isn't it important that the government know how schools are doing? If it was left to the teachers, they'd all just go down the pub and it'd be left to OBL to run the place!:stunned:

If its generally agreed they are not the way forward, surely a new system should be decided on and put in place rather than just boycotting the old system.

Why? Children do not specifically need testing at 7, 11 and 14, they need constant assessment throughout their school life. Bring back the end of year tests that always served everyone well, QCA ones that the other year groups do now. They are a far better reflection. SATS are a device of the DCFS and its predecessor for judging schools, that is all. They don't judge children and the SATs themselves have absolutely no value ever. Employers don't look to see if you were a level 5 at KS2 do they? No, they just want to know what GCSEs and/or A levels you have.

isn't it important that the government know how schools are doing? If it was left to the teachers, they'd all just go down the pub and it'd be left to OBL to run the place!:stunned:

No it's completely wrong, quite often the schools that do best at SATs are those who teach to the tests and not to the curriculum. I can tell you that I've heard many times that the more rounded children (i.e. those with better behaviour, social skills and general ability) are the ones in schools that are not classed as "outstanding" by Ofsted. The whole SATs/Ofsted system is faulty, it's all data driven, well, I'm sorry, but children aren't figures, they're human beings, and don't conform to the "norm".

No it's completely wrong, quite often the schools that do best at SATs are those who teach to the tests and not to the curriculum. I can tell you that I've heard many times that the more rounded children (i.e. those with better behaviour, social skills and general ability) are the ones in schools that are not classed as "outstanding" by Ofsted. The whole SATs/Ofsted system is faulty, it's all data driven, well, I'm sorry, but children aren't figures, they're human beings, and don't conform to the "norm".

ooh you've got to love a good anecdote!

From senior school teachers, so quite genuine. They can always pick out the kids from which schools.

It's all in the gang signs...

tupac_west_side.jpg

Big Up WESTCLIFF.

04+hand+S.jpg

I'm from Mutha Funking Sweyne.

From senior school teachers, so quite genuine. They can always pick out the kids from which schools.

so it is anecdotal. You're saying that the 'best' schools (producing most rounded students) aren't Ofsted Outstanding based on some teachers experience. WHSB is the only school in the area to be triple-"Outstanding", are you saying it's not one of the best schools in the area?

I'm not particularly for or against SATS, anyone with aspirations of A-Levels or university will very quickly have to get used to the idea of tough exams. Personally I reckon more regular and less 'pressured' testing is probably fairer. Just because teachers teach/pupils study 'to the test' I don't see as an inherently bad thing. You can still come out of our education system as 'well rounded'.

If you gave teachers more freedom to teach what they wanted, or how they wanted, you'd still have some good teachers, and some bad teachers. I genuinely believe that good teachers can teach the test as well as going that extra mile - that was definitely my experience anyway. The worst teachers destroyed our prospects, when any other teacher could have probably got us through the test at the very least.

I'm all for more vocational/practical qualifications, however it's crucial that at 16 all children can read, write and are numerate to a good level. This requires all schools to be effective, hence the government requiring inspections and assessments.

so it is anecdotal. You're saying that the 'best' schools (producing most rounded students) aren't Ofsted Outstanding based on some teachers experience. WHSB is the only school in the area to be triple-"Outstanding", are you saying it's not one of the best schools in the area?

I'm all for more vocational/practical qualifications, however it's crucial that at 16 all children can read, write and are numerate to a good level. This requires all schools to be effective, hence the government requiring inspections and assessments.

No, I'm relating my experience more to my level, that is primary. Secondary schooling is obviously different as teachers are subject specific and while I agree with you about the need for children to all be of a certain standard at 16, the huge gulf between the top and bottom academically and as a result of inclusion in primary schools makes it incredibly difficult to have all children at the level the Government says they should be at KS2.

We took part in the Government pilot scheme for children to be tested at a level when they are ready for it, rather than at the time the state says they should be doing it. Basically, that means you could have a child in year 3 and a child in year 5 sitting the same level 4 test because it is based on the teachers' assessment of when the child is ready to take that test. It's assessment that is important, and no-one knows the children better than their teachers in this respect.

Of course, we're normally in there making their tea for them when they come in - we do know our place you know!

I actually go and hide in our 'Discovery Center' where all the TA's hangout. Good cup of tea, always wanting to offload biscuits/chocolates as they are all 'on a diet', and no-one knows where you are..... :whistling:

Back