• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan

I always thought the Olympic stadium should have been designed to hold cricket, as well football.

A friend of mine successfully sued West Ham for not providing anything near what he was promised in one of their glossy presentations.

It's a Rugby World Cup, the home nations are all there so we might as well have a thread to discuss progress in the tournament. My knowledge of Rugby Union is bugger all squared so I'll let the experts take over from this point.

yes Come on England
Its on free tv,so everybody should get behind us-this rugby world cup.
Im in Germany,although its on some weird tv station here (free tv !!) i cannot get anything,so its trying to get the games on the laptop,via ITV
So CUMON England.....lets hope we do well

England should go well and I’ll expect them to be top northern hemisphere nation which they usually are in world cups.
Can’t see past the All Blacks for outright but that’s hardly sending earth tremors around.
Australia won’t be as bad as some are saying and should make last four along with the Boks.
Normally a big upset so expect Wales to get out of their group :Thumbs up::COLU::COLU::COLU::COLU::COLU:

To continue a great weekend of sport (Shrimpers and Essex winning) we now have:-

England's opening game starts at 11.15am Sunday 22nd Sept live on ITV

Untitled.jpg

They didn't show the game on regular TV over here so I couldn't watch it. You'd think the host nation would broadcast every game. Having said that, the games I have seen have been good with explanations of the rules popping up on the screen regularly. Trying to explain this unpopular sports to the masses. Oh, and we have a typhoon hitting the country right now bringing heavy rain. Could make the games (more) interesting

The Scots batter the Russkies. What's the point on these minnows like Russia, Canada & The US? It's such a minority sport in those countries and like Italy, they never, ever improve.

Japan was a freak result, akin to Italy losing to North Korea in the 1966 FWC. They happen. It probably will never happen again.

What;s the point of Russia/Canada even Italy if they can't even mount a challenge? Italy joined the 6 Nations in 2000. They are, without doubt, **** winning the wooden spoon in 14 of the 19 years. The gulf between the top nations and the rest never narrows.

Japan was a freak result, akin to Italy losing to North Korea in the 1966 FWC. They happen. It probably will never happen again.

What;s the point of Russia/Canada even Italy if they can't even mount a challenge? Italy joined the 6 Nations in 2000. They are, without doubt, **** winning the wooden spoon in 14 of the 19 years. The gulf between the top nations and the rest never narrows.

Which was the freak Japan result: beating Ireland this world cup or South Africa last world cup?

Where does Argentina beating South Africa and Australia last year fit into this narrative?

I'm not really into rugby but surely growing the game in all sports is a good thing? Playing catch up is hard. Look at Bangladesh in cricket, its a long timeline from 1979 to now where they are a decent side. They were terrible and from their 1st ODI against a full member 1986 they didn't win until 1998 and had the longest ODI losing run at the time. Fast forward to 2015 and they are making the world cup quarter finals. These things take time but I'm sure Bangladesh fans would tell you it wasn't pointless.

I'm not really into rugby but surely growing the game in all sports is a good thing? Playing catch up is hard. Look at Bangladesh in cricket, its a long timeline from 1979 to now where they are a decent side. They were terrible and from their 1st ODI against a full member 1986 they didn't win until 1998 and had the longest ODI losing run at the time. Fast forward to 2015 and they are making the world cup quarter finals. These things take time but I'm sure Bangladesh fans would tell you it wasn't pointless.

19 years Italy have been in the 6 nations, 14 times they've won the wooden spoon. I can't remember who (it may have been Rob Andrew) but he questioned their involvement. In another 25 years I bet none of these teams will have improved to the standard of at least providing a challenge to the established teams.

19 years Italy have been in the 6 nations, 14 times they've won the wooden spoon. I can't remember who (it may have been Rob Andrew) but he questioned their involvement. In another 25 years I bet none of these teams will have improved to the standard of at least providing a challenge to the established teams.

France 1st played in the 5 Nations in 1909-1910. They first won it in 1954, joint, it seems with England and Wales. Would you argue France haven't improved now?

Typhoon Hagibis is expected to make landfall in the Tokyo region on Saturday

_109161511_typhoon_epa.jpg

England against France on Saturday has been called off because of Typhoon Hagibis, but Rugby World Cup organisers hope Scotland against Japan can go ahead as planned on Sunday.

The typhoon, described as the biggest of the year, is set to wreak havoc in Tokyo and surrounding areas.

Ireland's match with Samoa in Fukuoka is expected to go ahead as scheduled.

"The decision to cancel matches has not been taken lightly," said tournament director Alan Gilpin.

"It has been made with the best interest of team, public, and tournament volunteer safety as a priority based on expert advice."

The Pool B match between New Zealand and Italy in Toyota on Saturday has also been cancelled, denying Italy their outside chance of qualifying.

If the Scotland-Japan match was to be called off, under tournament rules Gregor Townsend's side are likely be knocked out of the World Cup.

Cancelled matches see both teams awarded two points as part of a 0-0 draw.

It means England progress as winners of Pool C, two points ahead of France in second place, and face a probable quarter-final against Australia, with Wales expected to top Pool D and therefore play the French.

France would have the advantage over Wales of a two-week rest, compared to one week.

France 1st played in the 5 Nations in 1909-1910. They first won it in 1954, joint, it seems with England and Wales. Would you argue France haven't improved now?

So what you're saying is that Italy might be a half decent side in 2044. :Facepalm:

Prior to the 2015 world cup Japan's record in the world cup was Won 1, Drawn 2, Lost 21.

Since the 2015 world cup their record is Won 6 Lost 1, isn't that a sign Japan have improved?

Back