• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I can send you some metaforin tablets to help your wieght loss,they rush food through your system and are for diabetics but work well.

That may well be the case, but I used to walk a lot, 10 miles on a Sunday most weeks, and that never got me fit enough to actually run.

I want to get fitter as the priority rather than just lose weight and if I can get to a stage where I can run for 30 minutes I can go for a "quick run" rather than having to go for a walk for twice the length or more. The problem with walking is if you arent walking somewhere nice then its boring. I used to walk the Benfleet Downs to get fit for the Lake District and as nice as it was that got very dull after a while.

If you can walk at a comfortable pace for 10 miles then you can certainly run 5k. Sounds like you are making the same mistake as every middle age person does when you try to run at the pace you did in your 20's.

A quick march is 15 minute miles so try a really slow, to the point where you feel embarrassed, jog. Say a 12 minute mile pace. Then build from there, like speeding up for the last 1k.

Its the same for other sports like swimming. You are much better off doing the whole distance very slowly, rather than thinking I'll start with a good pace for 1k and add 200 metres each time I run.

Trust me when you get to 46 its even harder. Especially as my legs were designed for a 9 stone person for nearly 30 years!

Getting out 3 times a week at moment just for 1k, want to get to a stage when I can run non-stop for 30 minutes, which is a long way off at moment.

I can't even manage 1k. I am pretty much in the same situation as you. The most running/jogging I do is back to the car after a home game. I get out of breath quite quickly and I think I have shin splints too, get pains in my lower front of my legs if I walk too fast but nothing if i run...

Try PARK RUN, Gunners Park, Shoebury or Hockley Woods. Both very pleasant 5k walk, jogs or runs and all ages and abilities. Both free.
Check them out on line and get a bar code print for entry.

Get a FitBit and make sure you walk the 10k steps a day minimum.

Or get a dog!

I had a health scare last year and decided enough was enough. I lost three stone pretty quickly through using the MyNetDiary app and 3 45 minute workouts a week, as well as refereeing kids football at the weekends. After the initial breakthrough, my weight has stayed pretty steady so I need to do something different as I would like to lose another two stone. I've always dismissed running as my knees are shot to pieces from rugby and American football but I think I'm going to give it a whirl, as Uncle Leo says, more bang for your buck and all you need to get started are some plimmies and a robust singlet.

In fairness, some shorts wouldn't go amiss either.

As for me, I do a 10k run on a Monday, an intervals session on a Tuesday, weights on Wednesday, Cardio Tennis on a Thursday, and an abs session on a Friday. Over the weekend I usually play tennis as well.

However, that is all out of the window until my ankle gets better. And when it does I'm going to be starting again from such a low position that I'm already depressed thinking about how long it will take for me to fully recover my fitness.

If your knees are shot I can recommend walking, I am 10 stone lighter then I use to be I went from 25 stone to 15 stone

I am living proof that things like this can be done

In fairness, some shorts wouldn't go amiss either.

As for me, I do a 10k run on a Monday, an intervals session on a Tuesday, weights on Wednesday, Cardio Tennis on a Thursday, and an abs session on a Friday. Over the weekend I usually play tennis as well.

However, that is all out of the window until my ankle gets better. And when it does I'm going to be starting again from such a low position that I'm already depressed thinking about how long it will take for me to fully recover my fitness.

What about swimming. Great for maintaining fitness, especially with an injury.

If you can walk at a comfortable pace for 10 miles then you can certainly run 5k. Sounds like you are making the same mistake as every middle age person does when you try to run at the pace you did in your 20's.

A quick march is 15 minute miles so try a really slow, to the point where you feel embarrassed, jog. Say a 12 minute mile pace. Then build from there, like speeding up for the last 1k.

Its the same for other sports like swimming. You are much better off doing the whole distance very slowly, rather than thinking I'll start with a good pace for 1k and add 200 metres each time I run.

Not a chance.

I used to do 10 miles every week (and I was in my late 30's then) but if I had tried to jog even at a slow pace I would never have got more than a few minutes, running for 30 minutes to do 5k was would have been impossible.

Have to say the Couch to 5k is working now though, whereas on the first time just keeping going for the 60 seconds left me panting I can run each 60 second segment now easily. Time to ramp it up...

I can't even manage 1k. I am pretty much in the same situation as you. The most running/jogging I do is back to the car after a home game. I get out of breath quite quickly and I think I have shin splints too, get pains in my lower front of my legs if I walk too fast but nothing if i run...

I was getting out of breath going up to bed it was ridiculous.

1K is my first goal, hoping it wont be too much longer either. We are sticking to the plan for now rather than just trying to run as far as we can as it supposedly reduces the chance of injuries and by making it a little more tolerable its easier to stick to.

Having a group to do it with helps, there's four of us starting at the same time so all in the same boat.

The Couch to 5k thing is great, really good way to get into the habit of running and build your fitness back up.

On a bit of an exercise kick myself now after not doing much for a while, mix of running, swimming and football for me.

I think its well done purely because it does ease you in. I can imagine if I thought I had to do a 1k run and was still struggling to get anywhere near after 2 weeks it would be pretty demoralising.

The C25k just sets it out for you so theres no unrealistic expectations so like today when we did it, I did the 8 60 seconds runs and felt good about it knowing Im not meant to be doing much more just yet.

Not a chance.

I used to do 10 miles every week (and I was in my late 30's then) but if I had tried to jog even at a slow pace I would never have got more than a few minutes, running for 30 minutes to do 5k was would have been impossible.

Have to say the Couch to 5k is working now though, whereas on the first time just keeping going for the 60 seconds left me panting I can run each 60 second segment now easily. Time to ramp it up...

I was getting out of breath going up to bed it was ridiculous.

1K is my first goal, hoping it wont be too much longer either. We are sticking to the plan for now rather than just trying to run as far as we can as it supposedly reduces the chance of injuries and by making it a little more tolerable its easier to stick to.

Having a group to do it with helps, there's four of us starting at the same time so all in the same boat.

Actually very sensible. In my old job I used to go running at lunch times with a group. When I started I told them to go off ahead if I was slowing them down, but they didn't. They always run at the pace of the slowest because it wasn't about speed, it was about getting the miles in their legs and building up strength. Their serious work was done elsewhere.

Back