• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jam_Man

Life President
Im 46, until I was 30 I weighed under 9 stone, couldnt put an ounce on.

Then my 30's came and now Ive peaked at 13 stone. Lost a stone a year or so go using slim plan but have put it back on, mainly because I now work from home most days so dont get any excercise whatsoever. As I was so thin for so long weight control was always a bit foreign to me.

Sorting my diet out without going on a massive diet attack like last year, but Im now starting to run, or try to.

Now Ive never liked exercise for the sake of it, bores me to tears, even when I was in my twenties and played football/Squash etc I used to like the sport but not the training. Never been to a Gym and cant see that I will. I did however get into hiking/hill walking a while back but havent done anything for a few years now.

Anyone in a similar situation done the Couch to 5k ?

Done about 5 quick 1km runs over the past couple of weeks and its a struggle to say the least, not surprising as done no exercise for a few year. Generally doing the 60secs running/90 seconds walking for now but ramping it up.

Not sure if its getting any easier, although my times are coming down, only the very quickest mums with buggies get past me these days :smile:

Any one else doing similar or done it in past?

Im 46, until I was 30 I weighed under 9 stone, couldnt put an ounce on.

Then my 30's came and now Ive peaked at 13 stone. Lost a stone a year or so go using slim plan but have put it back on, mainly because I now work from home most days so dont get any excercise whatsoever. As I was so thin for so long weight control was always a bit foreign to me.

Sorting my diet out without going on a massive diet attack like last year, but Im now starting to run, or try to.

Now Ive never liked exercise for the sake of it, bores me to tears, even when I was in my twenties and played football/Squash etc I used to like the sport but not the training. Never been to a Gym and cant see that I will. I did however get into hiking/hill walking a while back but havent done anything for a few years now.

Anyone in a similar situation done the Couch to 5k ?

Done about 5 quick 1km runs over the past couple of weeks and its a struggle to say the least, not surprising as done no exercise for a few year. Generally doing the 60secs running/90 seconds walking for now but ramping it up.

Not sure if its getting any easier, although my times are coming down, only the very quickest mums with buggies get past me these days :smile:

Any one else doing similar or done it in past?
I'm 27, and that makes me feel incredibly fat!

I try to run 3 times a week, for about 25 minutes at a time. If you keep with it it does get easier over time. The hardest thing is keeping with it though for me, I sometimes slip off the wagon for 2-3 week period and then you're back to where you started.

I'd never run before until I decided to run the London Marathon this year. I lost over a stone over the course of my training (started at 13 stone in November) and just felt incredible for it. Everything worked better, I slept better, I looked better. And now, 3 months on I'm almost back to where I started. I'm still running occasionally but nothing like I was, maybe once a week, and nothing like the distance. I'm regretting it big time and I need to start again.

It's not all about the running though, diet and recovery time I found important. The Diet was great as I found I could basically eat what I wanted and it would burn off very quickly, even though I knew I shouldn't.

You have to keep up with the running to get the continuous benefit I think. My problem is I have nothing to train for now, no goal at the end of the tunnel so I need to sign up for something else. Having said that, I never enjoyed the running. It got much easier over time (my first run in November was about 1.1km..) and that scared me but it's amazing what you can train yourself to do. I remember running my first 13 mile run on a Tuesday night, absolutely freezing cold, but just feeling amazing when I got home and that was about 10 weeks into training.

My tip is sign up for a race or an event and keep going JM, I found it incredibly rewarding both mentally and physically. Good luck!

Trust me when you get to 46 its even harder. Especially as my legs were designed for a 9 stone person for nearly 30 years!

Getting out 3 times a week at moment just for 1k, want to get to a stage when I can run non-stop for 30 minutes, which is a long way off at moment.

I was extremely unfit until my mid 30s - slim, but could barely run for a minute without wanting to honk up my guts. Now at 44 I'm fitter than ever, regularly run and cycle. Still hate swimming though, and I can't put an ounce of muscle on no matter how many weights I lift.

Done a few 10Ks, thinking about the GNR, but thats as far as I've got!

If you are able to find a running partner at a similar level. I go running with a friend each weekend and catch up on the latest goings on in our lives. We can often get a couple of miles in without really thinking that we've been running.
The advice from Shrimpled around having an objective is spot on. Having a target and end date helps you to work harder.

Best of luck.

Trust me when you get to 46 its even harder. Especially as my legs were designed for a 9 stone person for nearly 30 years!

Getting out 3 times a week at moment just for 1k, want to get to a stage when I can run non-stop for 30 minutes, which is a long way off at moment.

Best of luck! Definitely ideal to have a target to aim for. I have no such target at the moment and am noticing the weight crawl slowly back up. I ran the North London Half last year, so not training just wasn't an option. Now, it's a bit too easy to make a lame excuse so I have set myself a new minimum target of three 5k runs a week

I did the couch to 5k, and it worked for me. I went out 2-3 times a week, was encouraged by the incremental improvement, and at the end of it I could indeed run for 30 minutes and eventually more.

Running not much good for your knees, any doctor will tell you. Better off cycling.

Can't disagree with the knees comments. Most of me is 37 but my knees are nearer 57.

However, for the average joe, a 20 minute run will burn many more calories than a 20 minute cycle. When time is tight, you get much more bang for your buck. More spontaneous as well - it doesn't take much to throw some running kit in the boot or in a case when I'm away for a weekend - putting a bike in the car or on a train/plane is rather more effort!

If you are able to find a running partner at a similar level. I go running with a friend each weekend and catch up on the latest goings on in our lives. We can often get a couple of miles in without really thinking that we've been running.
The advice from Shrimpled around having an objective is spot on. Having a target and end date helps you to work harder.

Best of luck.

Indeed, Ive dragged Mrs Jam into it and also my brother and his missus, so 4 very unfit 40 somethings doing it together. Does help.

Running not much good for your knees, any doctor will tell you. Better off cycling.

Yep Im sure thats the case.

Ive gone from 9 stone in my football days to 13 after doing zero running in any capacity for pretty much 20 years. Did a lot of hiking and walking for a while so that got my legs stronger but now when I run (stumble) I really do feel the extra 4 stone so can imagine that injuries are very possible. Taking it pretty easy though at present.

Thing is I live by Priory Park so can walk up there and do a quick 1k (Well I say quick... :smile: ) and am home in 30 minutes. Having to get the bike out the garage and find somewhere decent to ride without getting killed by the traffic round here just makes it a little less convenient. Will certainly start riding a bit more though as good to do with the kids.

I have run for 30+ years, (and can give Jam Man a decade plus!). A half marathon anytime I fancy one and would be very sad not to get in the 1 hour 30-40 minute bracket. I have had a knee op but that was caused by lifting not running.
It is a catch22 situation with running and kilos BUT running will give you many benefits both physical and mental.
There are some very friendly clubs local and I recommend (in no order) Southend Athletics, Leigh Striders, Rochford Runners and Southend Flyers to name just 4. All will be great help and FUN: none have a****, all abilities welcomed and accommodated for.
Well done to JM.

I had a health scare last year and decided enough was enough. I lost three stone pretty quickly through using the MyNetDiary app and 3 45 minute workouts a week, as well as refereeing kids football at the weekends. After the initial breakthrough, my weight has stayed pretty steady so I need to do something different as I would like to lose another two stone. I've always dismissed running as my knees are shot to pieces from rugby and American football but I think I'm going to give it a whirl, as Uncle Leo says, more bang for your buck and all you need to get started are some plimmies and a robust singlet.

I had a health scare last year and decided enough was enough. I lost three stone pretty quickly through using the MyNetDiary app and 3 45 minute workouts a week, as well as refereeing kids football at the weekends. After the initial breakthrough, my weight has stayed pretty steady so I need to do something different as I would like to lose another two stone. I've always dismissed running as my knees are shot to pieces from rugby and American football but I think I'm going to give it a whirl, as Uncle Leo says, more bang for your buck and all you need to get started are some plimmies and a robust singlet.

You might want to consider adding some shorts and pants to that list, if you intend to run in public that is.

You would be better off walking for an hour than doing just 25 mins with bursts of fast running. You don't actually start fat burning until around the 20 minute mark.

Aim for the army quick march pace of 4mph/6kph. Then gradually add some runs in the last 20 and build up. Its best not to have a set distance and then constantly try and beat your times. That ends up putting you off especially if you don't really fancy it one day and can add stress rather than release it.

As others have said its an absolute must to have an event to inspire you. Try the Southend 10k, usually in October. A nice stroll along the sea front of your home town.

I have just spent 8 days in Greece helping a friend put a promising 17 year old footballer through a kind of boot camp. He badly injured a knee before Christmas so we were building him up for pre-season. The young lad had a brilliant attitude which made it great fun as we were joining in for lots of the time and I have not felt this fit for ages.

I will try and get him a weeks training at Southend if it all goes well, as he was playing Greek third tier last season and was attracting some attention from their first division clubs.

You would be better off walking for an hour than doing just 25 mins with bursts of fast running. You don't actually start fat burning until around the 20 minute mark.

Aim for the army quick march pace of 4mph/6kph. Then gradually add some runs in the last 20 and build up. Its best not to have a set distance and then constantly try and beat your times. That ends up putting you off especially if you don't really fancy it one day and can add stress rather than release it.

As others have said its an absolute must to have an event to inspire you. Try the Southend 10k, usually in October. A nice stroll along the sea front of your home town.

I have just spent 8 days in Greece helping a friend put a promising 17 year old footballer through a kind of boot camp. He badly injured a knee before Christmas so we were building him up for pre-season. The young lad had a brilliant attitude which made it great fun as we were joining in for lots of the time and I have not felt this fit for ages.

I will try and get him a weeks training at Southend if it all goes well, as he was playing Greek third tier last season and was attracting some attention from their first division clubs.

That may well be the case, but I used to walk a lot, 10 miles on a Sunday most weeks, and that never got me fit enough to actually run.

I want to get fitter as the priority rather than just lose weight and if I can get to a stage where I can run for 30 minutes I can go for a "quick run" rather than having to go for a walk for twice the length or more. The problem with walking is if you arent walking somewhere nice then its boring. I used to walk the Benfleet Downs to get fit for the Lake District and as nice as it was that got very dull after a while.

Back