• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

Join a club and run the x country league races. Very good socially and very high standard thru the fields - intended double meaning.
There is a Saturday and a Sunday league.
I am sure you, DSLC know this but others may not.

I’m doing both the Saturday and Sunday XC league…1st Sunday fixture just gone at Hadleigh which is always fun 🙄 the Saturday league is a much higher standard as it covers the whole of Essex but still enjoyable.

I have a XC race every weekend now upto Xmas …Essex Vets Championship at writtle this weekend 👍🏼

What races have people got lined up for 2024?

Any people new to, or returning to running as part of a New Year’s resolution?

Be good to have a shrimpers parkrun meet up this year.

I am running the Chelmsford half in March and the Colchester Zoo Stampede 10k in May and all being well may try to fit in another half in September or October.

Agree we should arrange a shrimpers parkrun meet up perhaps in April or May.

Brentwood half tomorrow, remember to take the last mile 1 lamp post at a time.

Brentwood half tomorrow, remember to take the last mile 1 lamp post at a time.
I did this as well. Very well organised and loff to s of support on route , but the downhill first two miles means lots of uphill to come which wasn’t fun. And multiple people offering support of ‘200 yards’ to go when it was a LOT more

One week to London Marathon . Getting nervous now. I know I can finish ( if nothing goes wrong) but I want t mo beat 4 hours which would be a huge achievement at my level.

I ran 3.57 and 4.03 22 and 23 years ago with a LOT more training and I’m now 56! Would love to run the same sort of time to prove I’m not getting old 😀 to myself.

I always fade in the sec half. Have read conflicting advise on basically running 47/53, so 47% of time in first half, 53% second half (1.53/2.07) .this is how I would naturally run.
I know I need to focus on not going out to quick
Which is what I always do as 20 seconds a km faster at start= 40 seconds a km slower at end , or worse
Other articles say you should keep the same pace as more efficient. I know this makes sense and I could join a pacer but I just can’t see how I can maintain that pace on the last 6 miles. I need some buffer surely?
I am assuming the pacers so run at a constant pace?

Thoughts from any marathon runners?

One week to London Marathon . Getting nervous now. I know I can finish ( if nothing goes wrong) but I want t mo beat 4 hours which would be a huge achievement at my level.

I ran 3.57 and 4.03 22 and 23 years ago with a LOT more training and I’m now 56! Would love to run the same sort of time to prove I’m not getting old 😀 to myself.

I always fade in the sec half. Have read conflicting advise on basically running 47/53, so 47% of time in first half, 53% second half (1.53/2.07) .this is how I would naturally run.
I know I need to focus on not going out to quick
Which is what I always do as 20 seconds a km faster at start= 40 seconds a km slower at end , or worse
Other articles say you should keep the same pace as more efficient. I know this makes sense and I could join a pacer but I just can’t see how I can maintain that pace on the last 6 miles. I need some buffer surely?
I am assuming the pacers so run at a constant pace?

Thoughts from any marathon runners?
Good luck!

I've been told that there are lots of pacemakers from various magazines etc all scheduled to run at a different pace, so what woild stop you latching on to one of them to ensure you don't go off too fast?

Good luck!

I've been told that there are lots of pacemakers from various magazines etc all scheduled to run at a different pace, so what woild stop you latching on to one of them to ensure you don't go off too fast?
That’s correct, see my last line, but I’m not 100% sure that they run a constant pace- I ‘think’ they do but I’m not sure.
I am thinking of running with one of the four hour guys for the first 4 miles, and then doing ‘my own thing’. As I said I am worried about running with one for 20 miles and then slowing with no time credit having been built

That’s correct, see my last line, but I’m not 100% sure that they run a constant pace- I ‘think’ they do but I’m not sure.
I am thinking of running with one of the four hour guys for the first 4 miles, and then doing ‘my own thing’. As I said I am worried about running with one for 20 miles and then slowing with no time credit having been built
However you play it, good luck.

Back