• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

Followed SZ advice and ended up buying a pair of Brooks Adrenaline 21 from Runners Edge and have to say the service and advice was excellent.
My first run tonight was like having a new pair of legs. 90% less knee and shin discomfort.
I had previously been assessed as a pronator and my old trainers provided too much arch support and not enough cushioning. Apparently I am neutral and have a really good gait.i do have really tight calves though which need stretching.

Back in the mid 80's i had a couple of pairs of Brooks Chariot running shoes, which were really comfortable. I didn't know they were still in business these days!.
Over the last 12 years, i've been buying NB when out in Florida, because they're a lot cheaper than over here, got a couple of different width fittings, & got a good tread on them.

Back in the mid 80's i had a couple of pairs of Brooks Chariot running shoes, which were really comfortable. I didn't know they were still in business these days!.
Over the last 12 years, i've been buying NB when out in Florida, because they're a lot cheaper than over here, got a couple of different width fittings, & got a good tread on them.
Very good shoes Brooks.
I have a few pairs of them and some ascics, don't wear other brands.

Followed SZ advice and ended up buying a pair of Brooks Adrenaline 21 from Runners Edge and have to say the service and advice was excellent.

My first run tonight was like having a new pair of legs. 90% less knee and shin discomfort.

I had previously been assessed as a pronator and my old trainers provided too much arch support and not enough cushioning. Apparently I am neutral and have a really good gait. I do have really tight calves though which need stretching.

It's amazing the difference a new pair of trainers makes. What I find really interesting is that newer research on different types of trainers actually points to not correcting pronation etc. A decent pair of neutral running shoes should suffice for everyone. The thing that makes the difference between old and new is the cushioning.

I wore a new pair for my run on Monday too, and I loved it. I even ran in the rain! 8.0km in a pretty reasonable time, and with not a twinge from my calf or ankle.

I think next week I'll either do the same again, or push for the full 10km.

One slight frustration with my running at the moment is how one week I can go out and run a sub 24 minute 5k relatively easily, feeling as though I had enough in the tank to knock another 10-15 seconds off, so the next week I set out with the intent of going faster and I can only just manage sub a 25 minute 5k despite giving it my all.

As a relative running newbie (4 years in Feb) can any of you old timers give me any tips from your personal experience on how to drive down your 5k PB? I generally run 18-20 miles a week; 1 long easy run and 3 short (an easy 5k, 4 miles with hill sprints, and a 5k threshold run).

[QUOTE="Supernaut, post: 2311607, member: 5726"

As a relative running newbie (4 years in Feb) can any of you old timers give me any tips from your personal experience on how to drive down your 5k PB? I generally run 18-20 miles a week; 1 long easy run and 3 short (an easy 5k, 4 miles with hill sprints, and a 5k threshold run).
[/QUOTE]

Up your weekly mileage to 25-30 miles, with your longest run around 7-8 miles.

One slight frustration with my running at the moment is how one week I can go out and run a sub 24 minute 5k relatively easily, feeling as though I had enough in the tank to knock another 10-15 seconds off, so the next week I set out with the intent of going faster and I can only just manage sub a 25 minute 5k despite giving it my all.

For me, the simple answer is that I don't have a clue. The same happens with me all the time. The one thing I do know is that going off too fast is always a risk. I can't remember the actual numbers but I heard that going something like 20 seconds a km too fast at the beginning of a marathon will add around 2 minutes a km at by the end. Whatever the numbers, pacing yourself is key.

Obviously over 5km the difference won't be as extreme, but it will make a difference. When I try to go for a time (not done that for a long time now) I start by looking at the time I want to run, and then work out what that means per km. I try very hard to stick to that, and not go any faster. So, if you're trying to knock 20 seconds off a 5km run you only need to go 4 seconds per km quicker. Even if you're feeling really good try sticking to that and don't try to knock off the 20 seconds in the first km.

[QUOTE="Supernaut, post: 2311607, member: 5726"

[/QUOTE]
Do some speed sessions, sprints and recovery. And intersperse some maximum effort speed bits in your training with jog recovery in between.
Hill sesssions also help to build strength and endurance.
Think about your stride length and "throwing" your feet further forward to get a longer stride while keeping your cadence the same.

Join a club with proper coaches and varied sessions.

Happy running!

Do some speed sessions, sprints and recovery. And intersperse some maximum effort speed bits in your training with jog recovery in between.
Hill sesssions also help to build strength and endurance.
Think about your stride length and "throwing" your feet further forward to get a longer stride while keeping your cadence the same.

Join a club with proper coaches and varied sessions.

Happy running!
[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Most of the videos I've watched on running technique say your foot should strike the ground directly under your hip, you should then use your hamstrings to propel you forward. Is that wrong?

As for hill sessions...I would say avoid them like the plague. They (and interval sessions in general) may well be good for your, but they hurt!

Well after not suffering from any achilles issues for the best part of 10 months I'm now in agony again out of the blue after football last night.

This has plagued me for the last 20 years but I finally thought I'd overcome it. Going to have to take a break over Christmas and hope that the rest does the trick but I fear the worst.

So frustrating after upping my running to 10km over the last few weeks with no issues.

. I can't remember the actual numbers but I heard that going something like 20 seconds a km too fast at the beginning of a marathon will add around 2 minutes a km at by the end. Whatever the numbers, pacing yourself is key.

Too true. 1985 Southend Marathon i was convinced i could run it in under 3hrs by a few mins. My plan was to go through 1/2 way at 1hr 26 mins ( my best 1/2 Marathon time then was 1hr 21mins ), which would give me an added 8 mins to 'play with' in the latter stages. I'd already run 5 previous Marathons so knew what to expect during last 5 miles!.
On the day i felt great, went off too fast, & reached 1/2 way point at 1hr 23mins, 3 mins quicker than planned.
Everything was going well till about 22 miles, then my earlier pace came back to bite me big time, & i shuffled over the line in 3hrs 15mins!.

Too true. 1985 Southend Marathon i was convinced i could run it in under 3hrs by a few mins. My plan was to go through 1/2 way at 1hr 26 mins ( my best 1/2 Marathon time then was 1hr 21mins ), which would give me an added 8 mins to 'play with' in the latter stages. I'd already run 5 previous Marathons so knew what to expect during last 5 miles!.
On the day i felt great, went off too fast, & reached 1/2 way point at 1hr 23mins, 3 mins quicker than planned.
Everything was going well till about 22 miles, then my earlier pace came back to bite me big time, & i shuffled over the line in 3hrs 15mins!.

Nevertheless, 3hrs 15mins is not "shuffling over the line", at least for me!

I would suggest

1 x long run of at least 10k
1 x speed session (one session of 300m reps x 6/7 or 400m reps x 6/7 or 800m reps x 5/6 or 1000m reps x 4/5 change it up each week and aim for faster than 5k pace in these sessions
1 x Hill session (200 - 300m hill x 8)
2/3 very easy sessions where you can comfortably hold a conversation
1/2 rest days

Space the effort sessions out and try not to do them back to back...and rest and easy days are very important

that should see a 5k improvement, Running with others also helps especially in the speed sessions and as others have said you could also join a running club (Leigh on Sea Striders are good !)

Try a few runs without timing and stravaing them.. and no music. Makes a pleasant change to go out without all that stuff.. then after A few runs get all the toys back out to see how you are doing.
it’s supposed to be fun not a mission

10km this morning. The time wasn't too bad either. That's the first time I've managed 10km since I tore my calf. Really pleased with that.
Did my long run early yesterday morning so I could get on it at lunchtime and not have to worry about being in a fit state to run today!! Loads of runners out along the seafront earlier, great to see.

Back