• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

Park runs are seemingly a few weeks or so away from re starting, many councils etc are, maybe correctly, reluctant to sanction them due to site layouts, route etc.
Locally I expect Hadleigh and Shoebury to get the go ahead before the tighter Hockley or busier public roads at Chalkwell.
Keep training folks, the SZ parkrun will happen!

Had to abandon todays run because of a sore achilles. I have had loads of problems over the years and am going to have to step up my stretching.

Had to abandon todays run because of a sore achilles. I have had loads of problems over the years and am going to have to step up my stretching.

Woke up with a sore achilles. Feels like a recurrence of a tendinopathy I had a few years ago.

Last edited:
Ron Hill has died aged 82.
A legend of endurance running in the UK and immortalised by his invention of long leg Ron Hill tracksters.
I met him a couple of times, 20 years ago, he loved his running, coaching and promoting GB.
Sad news.

He also had a PhD in textile chemistry, and invented running materials of various kinds if I remember correctly.

I worry that the best athlete this country has ever produced (Joss Naylor) won't be far behind.

I haven't run since probably October last year but i've never really did the full proper lot of stretching that your meant to do. I always did the token pull my foot up to my bottom stretch but nothing serious.

I've never had any soreness / pulled anything when I have run (normally 4/5 miles in the gym and 10 miles outside)

I know its meant to help and i really should do it. Am I setting myself up for major issues when i'm older because i'm not stretching now? I'm not a serious runner and only run when I really fancy a run (relieve some stress, get out and enjoy the weather etc)

I haven't run since probably October last year but i've never really did the full proper lot of stretching that your meant to do. I always did the token pull my foot up to my bottom stretch but nothing serious.

I've never had any soreness / pulled anything when I have run (normally 4/5 miles in the gym and 10 miles outside)

I know its meant to help and i really should do it. Am I setting myself up for major issues when i'm older because i'm not stretching now? I'm not a serious runner and only run when I really fancy a run (relieve some stress, get out and enjoy the weather etc)

Just asked my wife. The answer is possibly!

However, she also suggested you stretch afterwards, not before. (There's a difference between a warm up and stretching).

This bit is from me: she's told me on many occasions that stretching cold muscles will increase your risk of injury. The analogy I use is blu-tac. If you stretch cold blu-tac is snaps. If you warm it up first it stretches nicely.

I sit on a chair and stretch to untie my laces. Assuming thats not gong to count.

Will start to try and do some more stretching after runs. Good analogy of the blu-tac

I do a few drills before run, start slow and ease into run, some stretches after.
For drills I do leg swings, long strides (monty python silly walks) shoulder rolls and arm swings; imo helps mentally as well as physical prepl.
During run I have spells concentrating on "throwing" feet further forward to lengthen stride, on breathing properly, use of arms, poise, head up.

Started up again last week after 9 months, due to Plantar Fasciitis taking 6-7 months to fully sort itself out.
In those 9 months have been walking 5-6 times weekly inc couple of laps up & down the steps opp Leigh Station to keep stamina up.
Despite this, & thoroughly stretching beforehand, after 1st couple of run-outs, my inner thighs ached like hell!. But been ok for last 3 sessions.
I'm not a 'spring chicken' anymore, so reckon it will take around 3 weeks to get back to 'normal'.
Just hope the Plantar Fasciitis doesn't rear it's head again.

Note to self: when doing your 1st full 10km run for about a month don't start at 11.30 on a day where the temperature is 19C.

That hurt and was slow! I also drank just over a litre and a half when I finished.

That said, I finished it.

Started up again last week after 9 months, due to Plantar Fasciitis taking 6-7 months to fully sort itself out.
In those 9 months have been walking 5-6 times weekly inc couple of laps up & down the steps opp Leigh Station to keep stamina up.
Despite this, & thoroughly stretching beforehand, after 1st couple of run-outs, my inner thighs ached like hell!. But been ok for last 3 sessions.
I'm not a 'spring chicken' anymore, so reckon it will take around 3 weeks to get back to 'normal'.
Just hope the Plantar Fasciitis doesn't rear it's head again.
With the PF going, did it disappear suddenly and for no true easy to spot reason?
I ask because I had it a dozen years ago, came from nowhere, no treatment would fix it just ease it, and went overnight many months later.

With the PF going, did it disappear suddenly and for no true easy to spot reason?
I ask because I had it a dozen years ago, came from nowhere, no treatment would fix it just ease it, and went overnight many months later.

First time i'd experienced it in over 42 years running!. Between last Aug & Dec it was quite painful. Started easing in Jan, & appeared to go completely by March.
But i was wary, & waited till 2 weeks ago, just in case it came back with a vengeance!.
So far, so good, although i've felt a slight twinge when walking a couple of times. Fingers x !.

Note to self: when doing your 1st full 10km run for about a month don't start at 11.30 on a day where the temperature is 19C.

That hurt and was slow! I also drank just over a litre and a half when I finished.

That said, I finished it.

Lol I did 10 k this morning 10.30 am around Gloucester Park whilst wife in gym , was lovely and warm but the pollen was everywhere and lots of coughing/ runny nose , think walkers thought I was Covid victim
So nice to run around a park, better than the road running I do

Lol I did 10 k this morning 10.30 am around Gloucester Park whilst wife in gym , was lovely and warm but the pollen was everywhere and lots of coughing/ runny nose , think walkers thought I was Covid victim

Yeah, I get hay fever too. I took some stuff about half an hour before I started, which kept it in check.

The Essex XC races feature the hills at the back of the park, nr the running track, they can be brutal when muddy and in a November blizzard.
I am told the hills are formed by bulldozered piles of the debris/rubbish that was found on the, then waste land, which then were covered over with regular earth.

The Essex XC races feature the hills at the back of the park, nr the running track, they can be brutal when muddy and in a November blizzard.
I am told the hills are formed by bulldozered piles of the debris/rubbish that was found on the, then waste land, which then were covered over with regular earth.

The worse hill run is by Langdon country park when they do their 5 k runs, seems like Everest, also some decent hills for X country by Bells hill Road by Five Bells, good to build up stamina

Back in the 80's ran for Southend AC in cross country at Danbury Park, was a 7 miler, few laps IIRC.
And Southend AC's cross country yearly race, was 9 miles throughout Belfairs woods, 5 laps if i remember right!.
Southend AC have their home xc at Plumberow Mount at Hockley now. Been there for maybe 20 years.
Relays are often over Hadleigh CP.

Back