• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

Doing my first run in the early morning tomorow after doing my ankle ligaments back at the start of April, not to sure how far I’m going but I won’t be running at pace and just watching the ground I’m running on, also got my weight down to 13st 6lbs so lightest I’ve been for over a year now.

Nights are starting to close in now and by the time I manage to get out for a run after putting the kids to bed its around 20:30 and its already dark ish. I run in mainly dark clothing (Blues and Blacks) but run on the pavement mostly.

I do run on some roads where there is no pavement but i always run on the side of the oncoming traffic. That way I can jump into the verge as nears me. Also IF i'm going to get hit i'd like to at least see the vehicle that going to hit me

Just wondered on other peoples thoughts if they have also run in lighter coloured clothing clothing (whites, luminous yellows) during the darker months or even some of the running lights that can be purchased although i'm not a fan of these. Having photosensitive epilepsy it annoys me when cyclists have them flashing as they drive along, What's wrong with a nice solid light. Works for cars and motorbikes
Personally I think it is very foolish to run in dark clothes along the road. You should be in something luminous.
As another poster says assume the driver can’t see you.
A head torch or arm lights /torch is a great idea.
flashing lights are far more visible to other road users and I would guess have saved countless life’s of cyclists . But even a non flashing light is far better than no light

Personally I think it is very foolish to run in dark clothes along the road. You should be in something luminous.
As another poster says assume the driver can’t see you.
A head torch or arm lights /torch is a great idea.
flashing lights are far more visible to other road users and I would guess have saved countless life’s of cyclists . But even a non flashing light is far better than no light

I realised after my first run that I would need something. I tried running with a First Aider high vis bib but it was not breathable at all and I roasted whilst running.

Went to Decathalon and bought myself a couple of luminous football / running bibs. I'm now a lot more visible on the pavement / road.

Did a touch under 5k this morning at 5.00 am, took me 28 mins and no injuries so I’ll take that, it’s been a while.
Very respectable time for a first run following a 6 month break due to injury. I've struggled to run a sub-30 5k after a 6 day lay-off at Xmas due to over-eating!

Last edited:
Did an hours worth of intervals in Pound Woods this morning. I have never done any trail running before and loved it.

I went for a 10ker just now. I felt awful and leggy. I was really slow and almost stopped. Imagine my surprise when I get home and realises I was 45 seconds quicker than last week! That never ceases to amaze me.

I'm also at less than peak fitness at the moment and have noticed a difference in my runs. I'm currently using the downhill sections as a rest. When I'm much fitter I tend to accelerate on the downhill sections as I see them as a chance to beat my previous time. Does anyone else have that?

I went for a 10ker just now. I felt awful and leggy. I was really slow and almost stopped. Imagine my surprise when I get home and realises I was 45 seconds quicker than last week! That never ceases to amaze me.

I'm also at less than peak fitness at the moment and have noticed a difference in my runs. I'm currently using the downhill sections as a rest. When I'm much fitter I tend to accelerate on the downhill sections as I see them as a chance to beat my previous time. Does anyone else have that?
Had exaclty the same when i went out for a run last night. Felt really slow, my right knee was hurting (Runners knee) yet i managed to run my 6.57 miles circuit in 1:03:21 beating my previous best by almost 2 minutes.

I do need to stretch though. I get changed into my running stuff, set the watch and head out. No warm up stretches and the same when i get back. And then i wonder why i have aching knees. One day i'll learn

Had exaclty the same when i went out for a run last night. Felt really slow, my right knee was hurting (Runners knee) yet i managed to run my 6.57 miles circuit in 1:03:21 beating my previous best by almost 2 minutes.

I do need to stretch though. I get changed into my running stuff, set the watch and head out. No warm up stretches and the same when i get back. And then i wonder why i have aching knees. One day i'll learn

A warm up is good, but don't actually stretch as you're more likely to injure yourself. I found a really good warm up routine on youtube:

What I found funny is that this guy is an ultra-marathon runner, so he says that he does this routine before every run, even if it's a little 10k in the park. For me 10k is the limit!

A warm up is good, but don't actually stretch as you're more likely to injure yourself. I found a really good warm up routine on youtube:

What I found funny is that this guy is an ultra-marathon runner, so he says that he does this routine before every run, even if it's a little 10k in the park. For me 10k is the limit!
I'll take a look. And i'm always happy when the warm up is less than 5 minutes

Back