• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

Did my back in 10 days a go running.
I have had a bad back for years and had an opp 15 years ago.
Normally they get certain signals which tell me “ go do some excercise or this is going to get bad”, this time after 6k of 8k run I ran up some steps 2 at a time and on the first step I got a jarring sensation in my back. Stupidly I (slowly) ran the rest of the way back to work as I had a meeting to attend.

Did my back in 10 days a go running.
I have had a bad back for years and had an opp 15 years ago.
Normally they get certain signals which tell me “ go do some excercise or this is going to get bad”, this time after 6k of 8k run I ran up some steps 2 at a time and on the first step I got a jarring sensation in my back. Stupidly I (slowly) ran the rest of the way back to work as I had a meeting to attend.
It's amazing isn't it, how you carry on when you know you shouldn't? I did the same with a torn calf muscle a few years back. I tore it about 4k into a 10k run, but managed to finish. When I got home I realised I couldn't actually straighten my foot, it was pointed outwards at 90 degrees!

Hope it isn't too bad, and you recover quickly.

Very pleasant Southend 10k, weather was kind if a stiff breeze.
Just one runner in a SUFC shirt who was doing okay near front at the half way point.
About 7-800 runners, fair winning times but slower than most years.

Very pleasant Southend 10k, weather was kind if a stiff breeze.
Just one runner in a SUFC shirt who was doing okay near front at the half way point.
About 7-800 runners, fair winning times but slower than most years.
Enjoyed the out but hated the return with that win.

Yes, I was marshalling at the very turn around point, the old quick fire battery and the breeze was, at times, stiff. Weather was, generally very good.
Was gutted couldn’t make it, was on holiday in Suffolk, I’m running 4 castles in Kent next Sunday anyone run that before, been told very hilly course, as I would suspect as it’s running to 4 castles 😂😂

Ran the four castles in Kent today, hardest half I have ever done 900 feet elevation and a hill that went on for three miles, ended at Dover Castle only to have to run up another hill and run up 100 steps to the finish
Fantastic day thought everything was perfect from Marshall’s, water stations, support it was faultless

Quick question has anyone run the Ultra 25 k from Lower Norwood to Richmond ?

A few of my club including me are going next Saturday but doesn't seem very well organised, finish is 6 miles from start and have to find own way back !!!!

Following week Oxford half and that is looking like a proper organised race

I’ve not run since Baddow 10 mile. I’ve been suffering from sciatica since Vitality 10k which became excruciating in June….cut a long story short I had a back operation last Thursday to trim a disc at L4/L5 that was pressing on the nerve and not responding to any treatment. Working my way back again slowly and now walking 2k twice a day ….physio starts next week but looking forward to when I can start to run again …another 6 weeks or so fingers crossed 🤞🏼

I’ve not run since Baddow 10 mile. I’ve been suffering from sciatica since Vitality 10k which became excruciating in June….cut a long story short I had a back operation last Thursday to trim a disc at L4/L5 that was pressing on the nerve and not responding to any treatment. Working my way back again slowly and now walking 2k twice a day ….physio starts next week but looking forward to when I can start to run again …another 6 weeks or so fingers crossed 🤞🏼

Good luck, I hope you recover quickly.

When you're in a position to start running again (which might be some time) can I suggest you download the couch to 5k app? I have been advised to use it to get back in to running after a back injury (albeit nowhere near as serious as yours) and it has been brilliant. I tend to try too much too soon, but this makes sure you don't. I didn't start at the beginning, I started at week 4...

Well done, very well done Southend Athletic Club runners at the London Marathon, especially Tom Frith with 2 hours 18 minutes and David Smale with 2.28.

London Marathon is amazing!

What a day yesterday was. My fourth marathon, but my first London, and it truly is the best race. The crowds, the support, the energy, the finishing straight, the medal, it’s all incredible.

I finished in 3:50:26. I wanted sub 4, and to soak it all up and enjoy it and I certainly did. All for Havens Hospice too.

Been on a break for a while running since running first half in April had some issue with the back of my knee assuming tendon related but seems to have cleared up now until running a long distance (<15k) then the pain seems to subside after a day. Did a 30k the other Sunday which was lovely in 2.45 this was the furthest ive run so far. Entered the ballot for next London Marathon hoping that comes through.
Considering Chelmsford half next Sunday but see how we go.

Just ran the London Ultra 25k from Crystal Palace to Richmond Park, would not recommend it to anyone

Poorly signposted, no marshalls, check point at 15 k, we got lost as missed the pink ribbons that were a guide in the trees and ended up doing 28.5 k
Plus side never seen Richmond Park and boy is it beautiful, though tired legs didn't think so

No transport to take us back to start and with rail strike cost £ 75 for a black cab between three of us, very poor medal at end, so lesson learnt

Off to Oxford this week end for their half marathon so hopefully better organised cannot be any worse, oh it looks very wet !!!

Back