• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

Just ran the London Ultra 25k from Crystal Palace to Richmond Park, would not recommend it to anyone

Poorly signposted, no marshalls, check point at 15 k, we got lost as missed the pink ribbons that were a guide in the trees and ended up doing 28.5 k
Plus side never seen Richmond Park and boy is it beautiful, though tired legs didn't think so

No transport to take us back to start and with rail strike cost £ 75 for a black cab between three of us, very poor medal at end, so lesson learnt

Off to Oxford this week end for their half marathon so hopefully better organised cannot be any worse, oh it looks very wet !!!
Why is it called an ultra at only 25k out of interest?

Simple question for those who have run marathons on training please

Im 62 and just a club runner who enjoys running, not fast not slow but an average runner

Any old pros give me advice on best training, I'm running one half marathon a month in prep for April and now finding 13 miles comfortable and no longer a fear ( Again time not record breaking between 2 hr 15 and 2 hr 25 depending on terrain)ran the 25k Saturday which tested me more mentally draining though ended up running 28.5 k so may explain
Most of my club are good/excellent runners and give more advice for their standard, just want advice from a average/good runner on how they trained
I run twice a week club on week night 10 k run in 60 mins, but more concerned when to up the mileage, loads of sites give different advices so gets a bit much who to believe
Thanks in advance, hoping for sub 5 hours on marathon, but that seems a long way off

Been told Benfleet is a rite of passage in the running world but wonder if it will help in training and head space, believe its January time and advised to run the Essex 20 mile as a good prep race, again any advice would be greatly appreciated

Essex 20 is a must, Benfleet 15 is okay but Orion 15 is much better. What club are you with as most will have others doing April London and long Sunday runs. XC on a Saturday with long slow day run after.

Orion 15 is run Epping Forest by Orion Harriers, a tough tough proper race, it has timings at route points and if not fast enough then pulled out.
For sure a few pheonix runners will know all about it, Orion regularly hold a XC league fixture.
IIRC first XC is Saturday at One Tree Hill, Bas.

Oxford Half marathon done and what a beautiful race it was, crowds and organisers were second to none. Weather was perfect and special mention to the two guys who ran/walked the 13.1 miles with washing machines trapped to their back for children charity, super heroes in my eyes
Break now just club and Sunday fun run before Billericay 10 k in November followed by Debden half at the airfield for Poppy day then last one of the year the London Half. Been a lot of effort this past 6 months preparing for Brighton marathon , but I think I am enjoying it , not sure the old knees and bones are though !!!

Now 6 weeks since the back op and allowed to do a little bit of running …just 100m off a 400m walk for 5k …made chalkwell PR a bit more enjoyable last Saturday …the running comeback has started at last !

Been out a few times since last posted on here did Chalkwell park-run in 20.30 which was a 5k pb for me first time below 21. Did a half marathon Saturday just on me own at 1.42 which was a pb think I would go below 1.40 on a race day. Those mixed in with around 2 10k’s a week

I am back after injury starting on C25K week three.

Taking it slowly so as to hopefully remain injury free
That's where I started.

I'm on week 7 (I haven't been strict with 3 runs a week as I still need to do all my other exercises to build up my back) and am pretty much at 5k so I reckon my next run will see me over the line.

The strength and conditioning coach I'm working with has suggested that I build up 1km at a time after that rather than increasing the time. He's brilliant. I didn't realise he was a very serious runner and was on the elite junior programme until injury put paid to his career. The benefit for me is that he's also working on improving my running technique which will make me a) faster, and b) less prone to injury...or at least I hope so!

Ran Billericay 10K Sunday absolute monsoon weather, water running off the fields leaving calf height rivers to run through, absolutely loved it proper race day
Even saw a car stuck in the Ford due to rising water
Any other Shrimpers run it ?

Ran Billericay 10K Sunday absolute monsoon weather, water running off the fields leaving calf height rivers to run through, absolutely loved it proper race day
Even saw a car stuck in the Ford due to rising water
Any other Shrimpers run it ?
See the pictures from other running club members …looked challenging ! Was down to do it but gave my number away (officially) and got 3rd lady ..so happy days ! 😂

Just ran Debden half , repetitive course but well marshalled and drink stations 2 hr 7 mins very happy
Looks like Brighton marathon not going a head , company calling in administrators owe 1.6 million pound to council, be gutted as training for this event

Just ran Debden half , repetitive course but well marshalled and drink stations 2 hr 7 mins very happy
Looks like Brighton marathon not going a head , company calling in administrators owe 1.6 million pound to council, be gutted as training for this event

Well done. I did the same one today, pushing my son in the running buggy.

Brighton are a shambles. Sign up for Manchester. Flatter route, excellent support, well organised, and very easy to get to and from with their tram system up there.

Well done. I did the same one today, pushing my son in the running buggy.

Brighton are a shambles. Sign up for Manchester. Flatter route, excellent support, well organised, and very easy to get to and from with their tram system up there.
I saw you at the start line, wish I had known would have been nice to put a face to a name, I'm running London half end of the month if about and just signed up for fun 5 mile Southend Rudolph run with my daughter

Yes waiting on Brighton , but not holding my breath, luckily not booked hotel yet, not that I can get into one as fully booked, personally think it will go ahead, the council will lose too much revenue and maybe like Uncle Ron someone will persuade them to keep it going !!!

I saw you at the start line, wish I had known would have been nice to put a face to a name, I'm running London half end of the month if about and just signed up for fun 5 mile Southend Rudolph run with my daughter

Yes waiting on Brighton , but not holding my breath, luckily not booked hotel yet, not that I can get into one as fully booked, personally think it will go ahead, the council will lose too much revenue and maybe like Uncle Ron someone will persuade them to keep it going !!!

Yeah that would have been good. I believe I’m working when the London half is unfortunately.

Brighton are in real trouble, still owe money to past winners, still haven’t been given a license for it, and still don’t have council approval. Could easily see the operators going into liquidation.

Back