• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

So London Big half ticked off last week, lovely race and surrounding, all towards Brighton marathon which is now a goer April

Next week 5 mile fun run on Southend Sea front with club, then a short rest, followed by Benfleet 15 ( Not sure I want to run this as heard horror stories lol ), then London 10 k, Essex 20, Brentwood half then the Big one Brighton
Just picked a knee injury so resting for a while, just walking longer, hope will not put spanner in training schedule

Any one running any of these races, be nice to put a face to a name, though Im in Santa outfit this sunday for fun run

I will be doing the Brentwood half for the 3rd time.
I’m doing Sikhs in the City “Dawn to Dusk” tomorrow

My legs are a bit tight this morning from yesterday's SAC beach sprint relay session, BUt as it was my first run sess for too many months then that is good.
And my dodgy knee hasn't ballooned, yet!

It is going to take a long time to get back to a proper pace.

Went for a 6km run this morning as part of my return to 10km. 47 seconds quicker than last week, so I'm now only running slowly, not really slowly! That said, time isn't the issue, I'm just trying to get distance at the moment.

A big shout out to my new running shoes. They were so comfortable even on a first use.

Brooks for road.

Saucony for trail.
I had one pair of Brooks, mainly because I was talked into it by the well meaning guy in the running shop (can't remember which one). I found them too wide, which lead to a minor foot injury that healed as soon as I went back to Asics. I suppose that's the point though: different makes will suit different people so it's worth the time investment to go to a shop and do it properly.

I also tried on a pair of Ons but they kept slipping off my heal, and had no holes for a runners loop. The were incredibly light though.

My new running shoes are Asics too, and they are unbelievable. I love them. They are so comfortable. The only issue is the laces are so short it's difficult to do them up!

In the Echo it reports on 75 years young Mickey Stains running his 500th park run.
Mickey has been a regular on running scene for last 40 years to my knowledge and still turns out very good for age times.
Isn't that Mickey Staines? If so both Grumpy Blue and I used to knock around with him in his (and our) younger days. :Smile:

<Meet the Southend pensioner who is one of handful in world to complete 500 parkruns​

Southend man completes his 500th parkrun​

16th December 2022

By Sophie England@Sophie_England_Trainee Reporter
3 Comments
Meet the Southend pensioner who is one of handful in world to complete 500 parkruns (Image: Newsquest)

A SOUTHEND pensioner has become one of just a handful of runners to reach the incredible milestone of completing 500 parkrun’s.
Mick Staines, 75, took part in the milestone run at his home parkrun at Garons Park, Southend.
Only 360 people in the world have completed the feat, in which on average almost half a million people run each week worldwide.
Mick, who did his first parkrun on June 26, 2010, said he is proud to reach this very special milestone.
He said: “When I first started there weren’t any parkruns in Essex, so I did my first one in Yarmouth.
“I started running in my 40s after I stopped playing football, and so I thought I would give the parkrun a try.
“I used to race other races too, and I enjoyed running.
“I haven’t looked back since, I have now done parkruns in England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland, as well as 135 different parkrun routes across the UK.

“My homerun is Southend, so of course I did my 500th parkrun there, it was very enjoyable.
“There wasn’t as many people as usual though, as it was a very cold day.
“I am very proud of myself to reach 500, and my times aren’t too bad for my age either.”
A parkrun is a collection of 5km events for walkers, runners and volunteers which take place every Saturday morning at more than 2,000 locations in 23 countries across six continents.
Mick averages around 26 to 27 minutes for each parkrun at aged 75.
He urged everyone to get involved.
Mick said: “parkruns are the best thing.
“It doesn’t matter how fast you are, or how slow you are, it is the community spirit.
“I recommend for anybody to do it, you can even walk too, or if you can’t take part, you can volunteer.
“It is a good thing to do each Saturday morning, keep fit, and make friends.
“My aim is to keep going, as I still hope to be running a parkrun at 100 years old. That would be amazing.”<

Yup that's Mickey all right.He was a good footballer back in the day too! :Winking:

Last edited:
Isn't that Mickey Staines? If so both Grumpy Blue and I used to knock around with him in his (and our) younger days. :Smile:

Edit.https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23193216.southend-man-completes-500th-parkrun/

Yup that's Mickey all right.He was a good footballer back in the day too! :Winking:
Stainsey is a bit of a Peter Pan style legend, however his lanky, grey ponytail is not a good look, nor his 118 style, retro 1970 running gear.
He certainly doesn't act his age, in a good way.

Glad to hear it! :Winking: Be sure to say hello from Grumpy Blue (Richard) and me when you see him next!

Edit.Funnily enough it was back in the early 70's that GP and I knew Mickey (& local character Bonzo).

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a website where I can measure the distance of a run? Up until now I've been using Google Maps which I find to be quite cumbersome.

I ask because I did a run this week (1st for some time) where I was surprisingly fast and my watch said the run was 9.15 km (still building up to 10k after my back issues). However, I thought the run was only around 8.5km. If my watch is accurate I was much faster than I expected!

Back