• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

Paddington Blue and I did 6 and a bit miles over Hockley Woods yesterday, very muddy in places, especially near the water treatment works and brook.
We are both Vets, and plus 20 years and got round our route in an average of 11 minute miles, which with mud, twists, distancing walkers and chatting is okay imo.
We run just twice a week, mornings, Belfairs or Hockley, rain or shine.
PM me if you fancy joining us once the covid restrictions abate.

Most of the conversation is on Blues.

Having spent the summer months running mainly on the flats and breaking a few PBs along the way, the winter months brings some hill running. So a bit of up and down around Benfleet and Thundersley, I find myself at the foot of Essex Way. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I did it in an ok time (just over 10 min miles).

I suppose its back to solo running for a few months now.....

So after running a fair bit during the 1st lockdown and continuing on throughout the summer months i went for a run on Sunday when i could hear a funny squelching noise coming from my trainers. On closer inspection it appears my trainers have now had it with the squelching noise being my trainer disintegrating at the heal. From memory they were only a cheap pair of Kalenji trainers from Decathlon which i must have had for the last 10 years so not too bad going.

Anyone got any thoughts on decent running shoes??

I must admit i'm a bit funny about shoes / clothes etc so I have to try before I buy. Last thing I want to do is run in a pair of trainers that just don't hit the comfortable spot.

So after running a fair bit during the 1st lockdown and continuing on throughout the summer months i went for a run on Sunday when i could hear a funny squelching noise coming from my trainers. On closer inspection it appears my trainers have now had it with the squelching noise being my trainer disintegrating at the heal. From memory they were only a cheap pair of Kalenji trainers from Decathlon which i must have had for the last 10 years so not too bad going.

I must admit i'm a bit funny about shoes / clothes etc so I have to try before I buy. Last thing I want to do is run in a pair of trainers that just don't hit the comfortable spot.

I'm a big fan of Asics.

I have had Brooks before but I struggled with them: they're too wide for my feet and left me with a bit of a pain. I did try a pair of On running shoes but they didn't have the ability to tie a racers loop and they slipped. They were incredibly light and comfortable though.

Another voter for asics.
What brasses me off is finding a model I am really pleased with, then next time I want to order another pair the model has changed, just slightly but......

Funny enough I only wear Karrimore, seem to fit my shape of foot, I have spur heels, so go through the back of running shoes at an alarming rate

Its horses for courses on running shoes

Another voter for asics.
What brasses me off is finding a model I am really pleased with, then next time I want to order another pair the model has changed, just slightly but......

I deal with that in one of two ways. The first is to always buy the range I want, but the one before the latest model. That way you get a much better deal. So, at the moment I'm using the Gel Nimbus range. The latest model is the 22. which is about £155, but you can get the 21 for around £110. (The 20 is currently around £90.)

The second is to use the 50% discount I get once a year from my health insurance.

ASICS all the way for me as in outdoor running, indoors on the treadmill is completely different as it’s not to hard on the ankles and achillies:Thumbs up:

It’s worth going to a “proper” shop where the guys actually know their stuff.
There used to be a great running shop opp south church park but I don’t think it’s their anymore.

personally I use trainers from the ascis stability range.

where a brand doesn’t make it clear if their shoes are neutral/ over/under pronate then I don’t see how you can take them seriously if you are running any distance each week

(Brooks and ASICS do, I haven’t looked at other makes).

It’s worth going to a “proper” shop where the guys actually know their stuff.
There used to be a great running shop opp south church park but I don’t think it’s their anymore.

personally I use trainers from the ascis stability range.

where a brand doesn’t make it clear if their shoes are neutral/ over/under pronate then I don’t see how you can take them seriously if you are running any distance each week

(Brooks and ASICS do, I haven’t looked at other makes).

I had the ones I'm using now fitted at Runners Need. Now I know what I need I don't really intend to go back and do it all again. I'll just buy the newer (but not necessarily the latest) version of what I have now.

Was pretty rubbish this weekend. I've had a cold most of the week so took a few days out. I was pacing a friend to a Half Marathon PB this morning, but struggled with a slower pace and when she shot off for her fast finish I couldn't kick on.

Two poor runs on the trot.

Sometimes that happens.....

Since 1980, have probably tried them all, starting with the 'famous' Hi-Tec silver shadow!. Brooks Chariot were decent ones when i had a pair mid 80's. Never really rated Adidas, Reebok or Nike.
Had decent pair of Asics late 90's, but for some reason always gave me blisters when doing 1/2 Marathons. Since then have only brought NB, which have a couple of different widths, ideal for me with a high instep, & also got a good tread on them.
Also got a pair of Saucony's, as they have a good diamond grip pattern, which holds well on slippery pavements etc.

Was pretty rubbish this weekend. I've had a cold most of the week so took a few days out. I was pacing a friend to a Half Marathon PB this morning, but struggled with a slower pace and when she shot off for her fast finish I couldn't kick on.

Two poor runs on the trot.

Sometimes that happens.....

Indeed. I've had days where I've felt on top of the world and at peak fitness, yet my run was awful. As soon as I've started I've felt rubbish and that I might not even finish. On other days, when I've had to force myself out the door because I've felt crap I've managed a pretty good time.

I've never been able to work that out.

Managed to get out this morning for a 5k run, first time in over a week as the wheels have fallen off the running wagon.

3x weekly football had taken over again but now that's been wiped off the agenda for the foreseeable it's back to the dreaded running. Gonna try to build up to 10k again like last time but that's a way off atm.

It would be so much easier if I actually enjoyed it :Cry:

Indeed. I've had days where I've felt on top of the world and at peak fitness, yet my run was awful. As soon as I've started I've felt rubbish and that I might not even finish. On other days, when I've had to force myself out the door because I've felt crap I've managed a pretty good time.

I've never been able to work that out.
Same here, makes no sense.

Same here, makes no sense.

I've often thought it might have something to do with what else I've done previously, but I tend to do the same workouts on the same day of the week so that can't be it. I've also thought it might be something from the day before. For example, I tend to do a long run on a Monday and it might be that I cleaned the car the day before which would involved a lot of bending, but that doesn't even seem to be it.

Who knows...

Here we go again.

Just back from a run, trying to build up distance rather than speed at the moment. I took a turn onto a downhill alleyway which I love running down. As I entered it I had a word with myself because it is covered in leaves at the moment and there could be anything hiding under them. I was right, because about 2/3ds of the way down I trod on a huge stone about the size of a tennis ball and managed to go over my ankle.

I managed to finish because the pain went away, but it's now hurting...and my wife has just got home...wish me luck!

Back