• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

Sensible. Even when I'm on pavements I try to run on the leaves etc. At this time of the year that's a lot easier. Even that makes a difference.

Do you not have any problems slipping on them, if wet?. I used to run through Belfairs Woods this time of year, but stopped due to the amount of near misses i had slipping on the foliage.
And that was despite wearing Saucony trainers with a diamond style grip formation on the soles.

Do you not have any problems slipping on them, if wet?. I used to run through Belfairs Woods this time of year, but stopped due to the amount of near misses i had slipping on the foliage.
And that was despite wearing Saucony trainers with a diamond style grip formation on the soles.

I haven't up until now...but with my propensity to injury it's now only a matter of time...thanks!

Been pushing my running in preperation for my football playing returning this week!

Managed to get 10k done on Monday and 12k today. Not going to set any time records but i slowed down my normal pace which helped no end in covering the longer distance. :Smile::Happy:
No harm in doing that - plenty of experts advocate slowing down for 80%-90% of your running in order to improve speed overall. I've started running 1 threshold 5k each week, throwing a few sprints into 1 other run, and then keeping the rest of my running week at a conversational pace and I've found that it really helps me.

No harm in doing that - plenty of experts advocate slowing down for 80%-90% of your running in order to improve speed overall. I've started running 1 threshold 5k each week, throwing a few sprints into 1 other run, and then keeping the rest of my running week at a conversational pace and I've found that it really helps me.

You're a nutter!

Nice easy 8 miles this morning, but the heavy rain overnight had left some serious puddles that I couldn't avoid, so I ended up running 6 miles or so in waterlogged shoes - not fun.

Wore a super tight long-sleeve compression top for the first time today - really liked it. Couldn't possibly wear it without something loose over the top though; my torso looks like several kilos of sausage meat packed into one leg of Mrs Supernaut's black tights.

Nice easy 8 miles this morning, but the heavy rain overnight had left some serious puddles that I couldn't avoid, so I ended up running 6 miles or so in waterlogged shoes - not fun.

Wore a super tight long-sleeve compression top for the first time today - really liked it. Couldn't possibly wear it without something loose over the top though; my torso looks like several kilos of sausage meat packed into one leg of Mrs Supernaut's black tights.

Sorry, but there is no such thing as an easy 8 miles. When will you learn?

On a serious note, in weather as cold as this I wear a merino wool top. It's called sportswool. It's very lightweight and surprisingly warm given how thin it is.

Sorry, but there is no such thing as an easy 8 miles. When will you learn?

On a serious note, in weather as cold as this I wear a merino wool top. It's called sportswool. It's very lightweight and surprisingly warm given how thin it is.
Ha, let's call it relatively easy then! On long runs I go really slow; if I start to get out of breath then I know I've sped up too much and I slow it back down.

I'll check out those merino tops - I'll definitely need something a bit warmer when it gets really cold.

Ha, let's call it relatively easy then! On long runs I go really slow; if I start to get out of breath then I know I've sped up too much and I slow it back down.

I'll check out those merino tops - I'll definitely need something a bit warmer when it gets really cold.

As it happens, I've just been browsing various running websites and none of them seem to do wool anymore. Seems like it's a bit out of date...

As it happens, I've just been browsing various running websites and none of them seem to do wool anymore. Seems like it's a bit out of date...

Do these things genuinely help or is it just personal preference?

I only ever wear a short sleeve t-shirt or sports top (i've only ever worn this even when playing football in the snow) as i can't stand anything tight or long sleeved.

Last edited:
I found a cheap short sleeve merino base layer on sale on a skiing website. Might give it a go...

Did 5 miles on the treadmill this morning as footie was called off, managed 36.38 with a bit of a sore calf for last mile or so, feel so good after doing it tho.

Followed SZ advice and ended up buying a pair of Brooks Adrenaline 21 from Runners Edge and have to say the service and advice was excellent.

My first run tonight was like having a new pair of legs. 90% less knee and shin discomfort.

I had previously been assessed as a pronator and my old trainers provided too much arch support and not enough cushioning. Apparently I am neutral and have a really good gait. I do have really tight calves though which need stretching.

Last edited:
Back