• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

Did 5k in thick mud last night. Really hard work, 4 mins slower than my usual times however this morning I have much fewer aches and pains than usual...
My wife always says road running is really hard on the joints. She even suggests running on running machines as they have a bit of built in cushioning.

When I run on the pavement I generally try to find leaves and grass verges to run on. It makes a lot of difference, particularly when the ground is dry and not so heavy on the legs.

My wife always says road running is really hard on the joints. She even suggests running on running machines as they have a bit of built in cushioning.

When I run on the pavement I generally try to find leaves and grass verges to run on. It makes a lot of difference, particularly when the ground is dry and not so heavy on the legs.
I do most of my running on a track which is cushioned but it is harder on my joints than running in mud.

Up to about 15 years ago, i used to run through Belfairs Wood & the nature reserve there. Ok apart from Autumn as all the falling leafs covered the protruding stumps etc, which led to several plummets onto the ground!

Up to about 15 years ago, i used to run through Belfairs Wood & the nature reserve there. Ok apart from Autumn as all the falling leafs covered the protruding stumps etc, which led to several plummets onto the ground!

I nearly went over a few times last night on corners because it was so muddy.

I nearly went over a few times last night on corners because it was so muddy.
At times it doesn't matter what type of tread you have on your soles in those conditions. Personally i always favoured the triangle pattern my Saucony Grid trainers have, they are pretty good in icy conditions as well, up to a point!.

At times it doesn't matter what type of tread you have on your soles in those conditions. Personally i always favoured the triangle pattern my Saucony Grid trainers have, they are pretty good in icy conditions as well, up to a point!.

I have a pair of Saucony Excursion TR15 trainers for trails and they are pretty good but don't work in thick mud.

Yeah, I rolled an ankle running along an alley way near where I live. It was covered in leaves, which hid a stone about the size of a tennis ball. I still run there but am a whole lot more careful now.

Some of the older runners on here would know Ray Platts, long time runner for SAC and coach there of road running group for many years. I am sad to report that he passed away on Monday after a swift decline from Parkinson's.
It is fair to say running kept his mental health together, he had a bad fall while window cleaning and that may have kicked off the Parkinsons.
MND, Parkinsons, ME, MS, awful diseases, all terminal and badly needing huge research.

Just noticed a friend ran 8k at a pace of 3.05 Mins/Km last night...
Puts my efforts into perspective!
My best 10k time was 37min 12 secs at the Southend ( Kodak ) 10k road race in 85. Following year it took me 38min 20 secs!.
Probably take me double that time if i ran one these days!.

Proud of Mrs Sammy Shrimper, who ran the Benfleet 15 earlier today in 2 hours 40mins. Not too bad as she’s the wrong side of 55 ?
It’s not a flat course and has plenty of mud.
Very good race, well marshalled by BRC. I was down there cheering them all (800) runners. Weather was kind today but bits seemed a mudfest.

I'm at a stage now, where i'm not sure what to do?. 64 1/2, been running since i was 21, was good back 'in my day'!. Fortunately never suffered badly from any injuries long term, until 2020. That Aug got Plantar Fasciitus, which lasted till April last year.
Resumed running until mid Nov, when calf muscle ruptured, another 5 weeks when i could hardly walk anywhere before it sorted itself out.
Haven't run since, but walk down to Leigh Station 6 times weekly, then alternately either do 1 climb of the steps ( 180 ) or two. And one of those days walk along to the very steep Billet Lane, & stride up there, that's hard!.
Wary to start running again, in case calf muscle ruptures again, maybe my body is telling me to ease up?.

I'm at a stage now, where i'm not sure what to do?. 64 1/2, been running since i was 21, was good back 'in my day'!. Fortunately never suffered badly from any injuries long term, until 2020. That Aug got Plantar Fasciitus, which lasted till April last year.
Resumed running until mid Nov, when calf muscle ruptured, another 5 weeks when i could hardly walk anywhere before it sorted itself out.
Haven't run since, but walk down to Leigh Station 6 times weekly, then alternately either do 1 climb of the steps ( 180 ) or two. And one of those days walk along to the very steep Billet Lane, & stride up there, that's hard!.
Wary to start running again, in case calf muscle ruptures again, maybe my body is telling me to ease up?.
Have you spoken/been seen by a physio? When I tore my calf muscle my wife gave me some very gentle exercises that built up over time to strengthen the muscle. When I was ready to start running I was only allowed to do about 1km to start with, and built up slowly.

Everyone and every injury is different so I wouldn't necessarily say you should follow what I did, but getting someone to review and see how you're doing and give you a plan that will get you back running is probably a good idea.

Back